Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008, 250, 6.4L Lariat, short-bed, 4x4, crew cab

Went to grab lunch and then came back home and parked. The next day, I come out and tried to start the truck but it just made a loud whirring sound. I tried again and same thing happened.

The whirring sounds like the starter motor is attemping to spin but the solenoid is not engaging the extension that mates up to the flywheel. After attempting to start the truck by using the single wire connector near the passenger battery, I could still hear only the whirring sound and it wouldn't crank. All electronics are turning on.

I installed a new starter. I went to crank the truck and it fired right up! BUT! There was a weird high-pitch sound now. I didn't like the sound so I turned off the truck and now I am back to before where it won't crank.

Has anyone had this happen?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
2008, 250, 6.4L Lariat, short-bed, 4x4, crew cab

Went to grab lunch and then came back home and parked. The next day, I come out and tried to start the truck but it just made a loud whirring sound. I tried again and same thing happened.

The whirring sounds like the starter motor is attemping to spin but the solenoid is not engaging the extension that mates up to the flywheel. After attempting to start the truck by using the single wire connector near the passenger battery, I could still hear only the whirring sound and it wouldn't crank. All electronics are turning on.

I installed a new starter. I went to crank the truck and it fired right up! BUT! There was a weird high-pitch sound now. I didn't like the sound so I turned off the truck and now I am back to before where it won't crank.

Has anyone had this happen?
That is extremely strange....but if that single wire connector is anything like the 6.0s, it will never start the engine. All it does is spin it. The injectors aren't firing with that cable.

·
Registered
2008 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson 6.4 Dynamic Diesel stage 1 kit, ODD Intake, and way more. 💨
1,840 Posts
You’re starter is either not shimmed correctly from factory or it’s staying engaged when engine starts. Replace the starter. Make sure you clean the block surface as it’s case ground. And make sure your block grounds and chassis grounds are also intact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You’re starter is either not shimmed correctly from factory or it’s staying engaged when engine starts. Replace the starter. Make sure you clean the block surface as it’s case ground. And make sure your block grounds and chassis grounds are also intact.

I installed the new starter from Xtreme Diesel Performance. It started right up the first time but made that strange sound. I heard it for about 3 seconds before I shut the truck off. I tried to restart it to see if it made the sound again and it wouldn't crank again. Doesn't that initial start tell me that everything is grounded and connected properly? I ruled out the connections because it started on the first attempt.

·
Premium Member
8,432 Posts
The starter gear is staying in the flywheel -- you likely just got a bad starter

Several things can cause the gear to hang -- one of those is a damaged or loose flywheel

Have a friend turn the engine while you look thru the starter hole at the gear -- a ratchet on the alternator pulley will roll the engine -- make a mark on the flywheel so you know you have went around -- and get comfortable, it will take a while

Also use a bar on the flywheel to see if it has came loose -- thru the starter hole, pry the teeth -- just be careful of the surface where the starter mounts -- or the teeth

Reactions: CrankspleenlesS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The starter gear is staying in the flywheel -- you likely just got a bad starter

Several things can cause the gear to hang -- one of those is a damaged or loose flywheel

Have a friend turn the engine while you look thru the starter hole at the gear -- a ratchet on the alternator pulley will roll the engine -- make a mark on the flywheel so you know you have went around -- and get comfortable, it will take a while

Also use a bar on the flywheel to see if it has came loose -- thru the starter hole, pry the teeth -- just be careful of the surface where the starter mounts -- or the teeth
I guess I am just going to remove the starter and bench test to make sure the gear is extending and operating as expected. If bad, a call will get made to XDP.

If it is good, I guess I have to get comfortable and check the flywheel.

·
Premium Member
8,432 Posts
When you get the starter off, be sure the sprag clutch is working on the gear

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you get the starter off, be sure the sprag clutch is working on the gear
This starter better be freaking mint since I opted for the more reputable and expensive brand. Nothing should not be working ya know? This is just frustrating that there were no warnings. Just come out to go somewhere and boom... nothing.

·
Premium Member
8,432 Posts
Wouldn't be the first time I got a new part that was bad right out the box -- I need to write a book, seems to be the trend these days -- of my years as a professional Mechanic -- lots of good stories

Had a starter once, that the copper was thrown out of the armature, from the sprag being locked up -- had several with broken drive shaft or broken gears, and a few with a broken snout

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wouldn't be the first time I got a new part that was bad right out the box -- I need to write a book, seems to be the trend these days -- of my years as a professional Mechanic -- lots of good stories

Had a starter once, that the copper was thrown out of the armature, from the sprag being locked up -- had several with broken drive shaft or broken gears, and a few with a broken snout
Just want to say thanks Hydro for responding (also Roccafellas). Probably won't get to this until Sunday. But I will make sure that I update this in case anyone else ever has the same issue.

·
Registered
2008 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson 6.4 Dynamic Diesel stage 1 kit, ODD Intake, and way more. 💨
1,840 Posts
Just want to say thanks Hydro for responding (also Roccafellas). Probably won't get to this until Sunday. But I will make sure that I update this in case anyone else ever has the same issue.
Happens all the time, either the over running clutch (device that when the flywheel starts turning the pinion gear retracts the pinion, and or you have a bad hold in winding. The pull in winding is only energized at initial startup until the ground is lost then the hold in winding which is energized all the time keeps it in, until the over running clutch senses drive force and retracts, one of the two is bad. I just did one on an accord, brand new out of the box (not oem) and went to start it and it made a high pitched whine after startup for a second.

Back down it went. Luckily those starters are very easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.