Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I checked my resevoir today and NOTHING. There are some discolored areas around the cap where it looks like it may have spewed out. The clutch fan comes on sometimes after I get on it. Lately theres been a burning plastic type smell after I get on it. Truck blows no white smoke.

What do you guys think it could be?

Also, how do you do a coolant change on the 6.0 liter?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I think my first priority would be to top up the coolant and then figure out where it is going, whether it be an external leak, or something internal.

Do you have any water in the oil?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
only fill the rezy to the MIN line, not the max line, then go from there, no need to do a flush, just fill it back up and see if you can visually find any leaks

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
Also make sure you only use Ford's Priemum Gold coolant in your 6.0 or to just top of distilled water

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think my first priority would be to top up the coolant and then figure out where it is going, whether it be an external leak, or something internal.

Do you have any water in the oil?
How do you check that?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
pull your dipstick out and see if the oil looks "milky" is one way..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Also, check for an overfull condition.

Remember too that water is heavier than oil, if you let it set over night and loosen the drain plug ( don't fully remove it unless you'd ready for a full oil change anyway) the first stuff out should be very watery if there is indeed water in the oil.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,244 Posts
It is RARE to have coolant in your oil. The common failures will put coolant into your intake and exhaust (EGR cooler) OR put exhaust gasses into your coolant and overpressure the coolant out the degass bottle (head gasket).

·
6,244 Posts
It is sure not good to run w/ a low coolant level. Keep it filled to the min line in the degass bottle. Look for leaks in the hoses (including the EGR cooler hose that is under the turbo). Also look for wet areas around the front cover (water pump). If you do not have visible leaks, then I would bet it is head gaskets (as 2005F250 said).

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
idk where you are located but if its warm by you then just fill it with water and see what happens. if it doesnt move then you can flush it and fill it premium gold

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had this same problem. I took it to the dealer the first time and they said I had a bad degas bottle cap after doing a pressure test. When I started driving it again I noticed the smell when I got on it, and when I went to look under the hood the coolant was all over again. I thought wow something must be wrong, took it back to the dealer, they tested it again, everything checked out good, they replaced the backpressure sensor and it fixed the problem. Never really heard of that before, but since then I haven't had a problem.

·
Registered
373 Posts
so whats the purpose of premium gold besides the moco say so
alleged anticavitation properties?

·
6,244 Posts
so whats the purpose of premium gold besides the moco say so
alleged anticavitation properties?
No phosphates and an active "Organic Acid" corrosion inhibitor that is formulated to avoid precipitation (oil coolers are very easy to plug).

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
would it be a good idea to add any additives to the coolant, such as napa super cool or whatever that stuff is called.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts