Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· Compression Ignition Addict
12,651 Posts
From an old post by a DieselTech:

Buzzing is just part of the strategy to try and warm the ficm and injector before a cold start, or so I've been told. Now what I'm wondering is if your EOT switch is failed and causing it to both not buzz injectors and not use glow plugs.

I'll try to locate the thread itself.

12,651 Posts
Thread found and below is the resolution:

Well I'm not jumping for joy just yet. I'll give it a few more days of cold start before I call it good. I started thinking about temp either engine temp or ambient temp outside since it started fine when it was parked inside overnight in a 65* building. I was wondering if the oil temp reading low was a safety to keep the injectors from firing so you couldnot do harm to the engine. Anyways, my ficm relay and eot sensor finally came in yesterday. I turned the truck on last night and it was about 34* outside. No buzz no start. Then I replaced the ficm relay... no buzz no start. I then headed over to the other side of the engine age changed the eot sensor. Turned the key.... the injectors buzzed as usual and the truck fired right up. I started it 3 more times since then with it being cold and all is good so far. So whatever my problem was must have been a safety in that sensor to deal with temperature. Also my fan had been engaged during this whole problem and is off now. I assumed that was because of the sensor all along but I didn't understand why the fan would come on if the engine was too cold.
Anyways, I think I have this one nailed but I'm going to give it a few more starts before I feel confident. Thanks for all the help guys!
Thebluemule

What the OP of this thread thought is that the P0197 code meant a low temperature default. In fact it meant the opposite - a defaulted high temperature as suggested by the Tech. Temperature sensors are thermistors. Low input means high temperature, ie P0197 defaults to 212*F.

Post #27 in:

12,651 Posts
Oil Temperature sending unit, EOT sensor (same as ECT)

3C3Z-10884-AA ........................ Buy OEM!

ECT / EOT pigtail ........................ AP0056 (Alliant Power)​

· Registered
2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab 4wd 6.0 powerstroke
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
well i couldnt find the crank/cam sync but i pulled forscan back up this morning and checked for any codes and 7 glow plugs show low circuit besides on cylinder 1 i double checked ipr and it shot up to 85% when cranking and slowly dropped icp still the same
———————-
im gonna head to town pick up a EOT sensor and possibly IPR if i can get this one out and look at it

· Premium Member
10,676 Posts
What is the EOT according to ForScan ?
this should read the same as ECT and Transmission
also IAT1 and IAT2

and 7 glow plugs show short to ground besides on cylinder 1
There are no short to ground codes for glow plugs -- only open

Copy down those codes and post them here -- need the numbers, not the descriptions
then clear out all the codes

Type SYNC in the search box on the PID window, this should quickly bring the pid up

Reactions: bismic

12,651 Posts
There are no short to ground codes for glow plugs -- only open

Copy down those codes and post them here -- need the numbers, not the descriptions
then clear out all the codes

Type SYNC in the search box on the PID window, this should quickly bring the pid up
Always a key bit of information! .

· Registered
2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab 4wd 6.0 powerstroke
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
UPDATE got it fixed replaced the ipr and EOT sensor runs like a top thank yall for the help!!

————
Edit it showing a cylinder #2 cotribution inbalance its not misfiring so ill do some digging on that. and still showing Engine oil temp sensor low input i’ll replace the pigtail and see if that fixes it.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts