Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 1997 F350 DRW auto. OD lite was blinking when I bought it. Three weeks ago. Havn't driven it much but when I do the blinking never stops. Per a sugjestion from this site I disconnected the batts for 35-45 min and when I reconnected the blinking was gone. I had a feeling it would be short lived....it was. Just putting around the village here the OD lite didnt blink. Well this morning I drove across town and the blinking returned. So I went to the local sevice station ,only service station in town, and had them check for codes....They came up with nothing. Three differant readers still no codes.When the Od lite is on it has hard shifts. When I cleared the codes it shifted real nice. My next trip is to a trans shop and see if they can pull up a code. I am very leary of transmission shops. I have never been to one that didnt say I need a rebuild. After all thats what they do. Any sugjestions,comments ,observations? Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
Same thing happened to me, I took it to a shop were a friend works, they "fixed" it an it was fine for a while. Then I was pulling into a drive way an vroooom didnt go anywhere, took it back, again they "fixed" it. And once again its broken the trany hates reverse and if I get on it enough so it will move the OD light blinks. So wont be goin back there and Im getting a new tranny. Hope your prob aint nothin too big!!! Also, thats weird it aint throwin a code, I though thats what it meant?

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
Not sure about a 97 so bumping this up for ya.

:bump::bump::bump::bump::bump:

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Yeah you need to have someone scan for tranny codes so the trans shop should have a scanner to do that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well mine seems to perform pretty well aside from the harder shifting. I want to get the bugs out of this truck before I start loading it up with weight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
MIne did that a month after I bought it and it ended up having a bad ecm and before being able to get the ecm in and replaced it ended up blowing my transmission up. It costed me $3200 to rebulid the transmission. Id have my Ecm tested. The ecm would also cause it not to throw any codes for the Ecm is what directs the codes. And also if you have a Edge chip on your truck it also could be causeing you not to get a code. Mine did that for me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Farms... Lets hope that mine stays together. What caused the trans to come apart? Was it because of the system going into "limp mode" and over pressuring everything? Mine will reset if I disconnect the batts. But doesnt take long before its starts shifting hard again. I have a 95 F450 standard donor truck with a powerstroke in it ( mine is a 97 F350 auto ). Could I use that or do I need one specific to this year? I havnt checked but I dont believe there are any aftermarket tricks in the ECM. Oh ya, are ECM's expensive? Thanks again for chiming in. I have been lost in the fog.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I replaced my ECM again in November of last year and it ran me $329 with a discount then another $80 to have it calibrated. They have to have the same calibration code in order for it to work and I dont think that the code would be the same from a 95 to a 97. I couldnt find a used one anywhere around here for the reason that the salvage yards are sending them off for the core. I think that the core is $100. I wasnt charged a core cause my cousin works at the local ford dealership. International couldnt get me the ECM cause they said that it was a ford only part. I didnt understand that since it was a International 444 motor. Oh well. But the high pressure shifting caused it to pull away from the torque converter seal and the heat from the transmission melted all the seals. The transmission was shot and the Ecm was the cause. Mine for some reason keeps getting water in it and if you look at where they are there is really no way for the ECM to get water in it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I searched Advanced Auto online and they have them for <$160.00. calibrated at the factory. I must provide them with calibration\tear tag from door jam for emmissions. I'm not sure if that applies to diesel. They also mention a 6-90a, 7-90a, 6-89a, among others. I am new to playing with the ECM stuff but learning. I wonder if the Advance Auto stuff (Cardone, Niehoff, Standard Motor Products and one Superchips Inc. flash module..$301.99) all reman, is good stuff or what. I am sure there are vendors here with them but they seem to be geared toward modifing. I first need to get to a base line then modify from there. Were the Ford ECM's new or reman? Thanks again

·
Registered
45 Posts
They were reman. But Id be careful buying off Advanced. Around here they said that they dont carry alot of that stuff for the diesels. I know I had to go through ford for mine cause Advanced, Auto Zone, Carquest, NAPA, or Oriley's could not get what I needed. Each truck is a individual. And the diesels are of one when it comes to a ECM. If one code isnt right or isnt calibrated to what the old Ecm was in the truck the truck will not start. Been there done that with the first ECM I replaced. They got one code wrong and It started I drove it home shut it off came out the next morning and wouldnt ya know no start. Just sat and cranked and shook. It was a shame. And yet again I was without my truck for another week. They had to get another one and reprogram it and calibrate it. So goodlucck and be very careful.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HELLo, HEllo,..........HELLo, HEllo...... Is there an echo in here?............. Is this thing on?.........Well Terry Farms. is looks as tho its up to us to figure this one out. With all the gold medal talent on this site I was hoping for more input. Oh well, With your help Terry Farms I'll work it out. "Never say Never"

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just let me know if I can help in anyway. I need alot of help sometimes and I hope this site will help me out but on some of the stuff Ive done already Ill be more than happy to put input on what I know. If I can help just let me know.

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
yes its a drive train error! i got a buddy that it is happening too. hope u get it fixed quick i know what it feels like when they shift like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts