Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, at this point in time I'm interested in opinions and thoughts on running nitrous oxide, propane, or methanol injection and also thoughts on which turbo to run. I've got an 06 with 4" straight exhaust, intake, Gearhead tunes, EGR delete, studs, stock fuel system (besides blue spring), and stock turbo.

Now, from what I know nobody really runs propane injection anymore as it's not as good for adding power as nitrous and it's not as good for cooling as methanol injection. I know nitrous is purely a power adder and needs to be monitored closely (bottle pressure, bottle temperature) or it can cause serious issues. Water/methanol injection works better as a cooler and can dramatically drop EGT's along with providing a bit more power and fuel economy. The only maintenance it really needs is to fill the tank it resides in.

As far as the turbo goes the plan is to get something that provides all around performance. I will be running factory injectors. At this point I'm either debating an MTW Stage 1 or just putting an upgraded wheel in my factory turbo. I'm more looking for quicker spool up than power, but am open for opinions.

Just curious what your thoughts are.

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts
Drastically dropping EGT on W/M will depend on the mix. Straight water is the best for EGT drop, washer fluid just holds EGT from climbing fast, and 50/50 mix won't help control EGT.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would pefer methanol personally as I use it on my race car with a supercharger I know its not a diesel put the meth helps cool the intake charge and allows me to run more boost, kinda like adding instant octane during wide open throttle. hope that helps some type of way lol

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Propane on your truck limits where you can legally park, such as underground garages, etc.

·
Super Moderator
8,931 Posts
Bottles are for babies. Stay away from drugs. Ever consider a ported manifold?? Amazing what it can do for airflow to a mild turbo. Mod those y-pipes and hammer down.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Here's a vid of my Snow stage 2 water injection setup at work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAngUQUGWE0
It dropped egt's a nice 200* and gave a nice punch of power. I only use winter blend washer fluid. I noticed the most egt drop with the washer fluid and most power gain. Straight 100% water did barely nothing compared to the washer fluid.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know water/methanol works well when it's set up right as far as jet size and nozzle location. My plan right now is to run water/methanol injection and just use -20 degree washer fluid. We have it here at work in HUGE supply for free, and it's 30% methanol. From what I've read the ideal mix for a diesel is 30% methanol and 70% water. I know it's not a power boost like nitrous, but it will give some along with better fuel mileage and lower EGT's and IAT's.

The idea of propane to me isn't appealing as you don't get the EGT drop like W/M and you don't get the power gains that you do from nitrous. It seems like kind of an old school thing. Nitrous would be really fun, but having to upkeep on the maintenance (refilling the bottle, bottle warmer, watching pressures, etc.) seems like it wouldn't be worth it for daily driver, not to mention unless you've got a large bottle you're going to have to refill it all the time. I haven't found a good place to keep a bottle besides the bed or underside, but having an explosive tank on the fuel doesn't really seem too appealing.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bottles are for babies. Stay away from drugs. Ever consider a ported manifold?? Amazing what it can do for airflow to a mild turbo. Mod those y-pipes and hammer down.
I've considered it, but I'd rather keep it stock and simple to be honest. I don't like the aftermarket Y-pipes.

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts
Nitrous is expensive to refill, then you just can't stop by the local Pepboy's to refill. Can't run when towing, and is impractical for daily use. On the other side, if your looking to run the track or dyno,then nitrous will get you the most power.

W/M is cheap, can be found anywhere. Has the potential to drop EGT and boost power.

Turbo upgrade is once and done, no refilling.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, I'm thinking nitrous is too much to maintain for a daily driver. The idea is to only have to use it when needed, but having to check the bottle pressure and have the blanket on it makes that idea kind of nill. It's not something I would easily be able to just turn on and use without precaution. I honestly don't even know where I can fill around here. I've been told on the 6.0 that you will go through it quickly if you don't have a LARGE bottle which is going to be hard to hide somewhere.

I'm thinking of just using W/M since I can just use the -20 washer fluid we have at work and get it for free. It's 30/70 so it would work perfectly. I'm thinking of just using the washer fluid tank. I don't even go through a gallon of washer fluid between oil changes, so I have a feeling a full bottle would last a decent amount of time. As far as a manufacturer goes, who do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
The washer fluid tank will not last long. I used it for a little while and was tired of filling it every week or every other week. That's why I got snow's 7 gallon tank in the bed. 7 gallons will last me about 700-800 miles. But that depends on how many nozzles you have, how big they are and how often it injects.

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts
I agree with Chris, the washer tank will be too small if you plan on running W/M often. I mainly use mine for towing or playing. I can burn thru 7qts in 100 miles when towing, all depends on the amount of hills I'm pulling.

I went with the 7qt tank, and mounted under hood. Relocated the vacuum tank to the truck frame, and mounted the pump under the pass side battery tray.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys. I'll probably just use the washer fluid tank for now and see how long it lasts me.

What kits are you guys running? What size nozzles and where are you injecting it in at?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I have a Snow's stage 2 kit with two nozzles...a 652ml/min(#6) and a 375ml/min(#5).

·
Registered
2,626 Posts

This is how I have everything.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gotcha, looks like a nice setup. Is that boost reference tap the way everyone sets it up or is there another way? I'm wondering how many times I can tap the factory elbow before it gets weak. I've already got my boost gauge tapped into it. I'm thinking I'll set my activation switch up on one of the upfitters. I do like the LED up by the pyrometer though so you know the system is injecting. I'm assuming Snow Performance Stage II is the best?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Yes most get it from the intake elbow. But you can also get it from the MAP line

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I figured I'd just pull it from the intake elbow like everyone else does. I've read so much lately on this stuff it's starting to hurt my head. I understand how the system works, but it seems there's a few different ways to control it. It seems like the best idea is to run two smaller nozzles rather than one large one to help with atomization. Also, it seems you can also get a linear setup that simply sprays a set amount at a set PSI which is adjustable or you can get a progressive setup that starts spraying at a set PSI and comes on full spray at another set PSI that is adjustable as well.

From what I understand I want a progressive setup and not a linear one? If so the AIS systems are out as they don't offer a progressive controller.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts