Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have a wet nitrous kit that i bought for my old mustang. its brand new and since i dont have the car anymore i wanna put it on my truck.(i know im going to run it as a dry kit on my truck) other than intake,exhaust, gauges and a 6 postion chip its stock as far as performace mods go. im wanting to put the kit on to drop my EGTs when im in the race setting on my chip what i wanna know is on a dry kit on a mustang i know you gotta tie into the fuel pressure regulator. what do i need to do on my 7.3 to make the kit work right? has anyone done a write up on a install on a 7.3?? thanks for an helpg

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nitrous kits on diesels are TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

First of all you are correct in using it as a DRY kit. DRY is THE ONLY way to spray nitrous on Diesels.

Simply do this to install...
-Run the feed line from where ever your going to mount the bottle, to where your going to have the solenoid. (mine is right next to the fuel bowl.)
-Then remove your y-pipe, and drill and tap it so the nitrous will spray in right before it splits to the heads.
-Then insert nozzle. Now because I'm assuming your going to use the nozzle from your mustang WET kit, you need to cap off the Fuel side of the WET nozzle. You will have a boost leak if you do not cap that off. The bonus is when you get bigger injectors and what not you can add a second stage of nitrous and use the WET side of your existing nozzle for the second stage
-Now run the line from the solenoid to the nozzle
-Then hook up the electrical side. (I have mine on a Arm switch and a push button)

The simplest way I can explain this is...
YOU CAN NOT HURT A DIESEL WITH TOO MUCH NITROUS (other that because of too much power). A Diesel is NOT like a gas engine!!! In the sense of on Gas engines too much nitrous = lean = detonation = BOOM.
On Diesel engines, too much nitrous = slow down the truck. Think about it this way... Our 7.3 DOES NOT have a throttle body, so essentially when you press the accelerator it gives the engine MORE FUEL ( = MORE POWER).

Now, Black Smoke is UN-USED POWER. Black smoke shows a Diesel that HAS BURNED the fuel, BUT that fuel has not released all of its ENERGY ( = POWER). The reason is, because there is not enough OXYGEN Molecules available for ALL of the Diesel Fuel to burn. NOW THIS IS WHERE NITROUS COMES IN... Nitrous gives it MORE oxygen molecules to burn the diesel fuel.

So the EASIEST way I can come up with jetting for you is this:

Start with a .062 Jet. WATCH Your exhaust, IF you still see lots of black smoke up your jet till you barley see any black smoke. You want just a light haze coming out the tail pipe.

·
Registered
956 Posts
How much power would a .62 jet be on a gas engine? I have a nitrous kit that I had set up for a friend, he had it on his civic and we set it up as a 35hp dry kit. I want to use this kit on the diesel truck but with a bigger jet. I changed the jet to the smaller one and my friend put a 125hp jet in his pocket, I had used it before as a wet kit but I changed the nozzle for him since he didn't want to cut up his fuel lines. Obviously now I can't find any of the kit other than what it has mounted... :dunno:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Gas recommendations are based on an equivalent air/fuel ratio of approximately 12:1. Diesel engines need an air/fuel ratio of around 18:1 in order not to cause smoke. The difference in airflow is roughly 33% more.

So if a .052 jet is roughly a 100hp shot on a Gas engine, It would take a .062 jet to get that same 100hp shot on a Diesel.

And again, Nitrous works differently on a diesel. It's only going to ADD power if you currently don't have enough oxygen to release all of the fuel's energy.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I don't think you will see much of a benefit since the fuel is not there. You might want to call up PHP and talk to Bill and see what he says.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts