Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds like good progress! Another (possible) advantage of not having to get into the interface between the clock spring and the SCCM is that Sync will almost certainly still work, including the hands free phone interface. Whatever you do is blind, because the display is gone, but that doesn't seriou hamper phone operation.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I don't think the sync will still operate. Mainly because i see no way in getting sync to operate with the tablet. it may still get the button commands but since it can't communicate with the tablet there is no audio output for it either.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So took the truck on a 1300ish mile round trip and the tablet preformed great. I have the i have 5 of my 8 steering wheel buttons working and i plan on trying to write a how to on that. It was a fairly complicated and extreamly time consuming to get it working but hopefully if i get a good write up it will same some one else some time setting it up. During the trip i had the tablet playing music, running torque, and navigation. The screen was on the hole time at around 80% brightness. With that setup at least the battery remained at 100%. about 1/3rd of the way through i added an IRadar from cobra to the system to see how that would affect the battery. The IRadar app caused slight battery drain due to excessive use of the gps ( according to my batt monitorying app). the IRadar app also would not allow the tablet to sleep correctly so i had to make sure to close it befor shutting off the truck. Other then that I feel like the install has been a complete success. I will now work in getting a FM tunner setup for it and the backup cam working.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds like you're making great progress! My job has had me doing a lot of driving the past few weeks, so there's been limited time to work on the project, but lots of time to "test" it, sans torque and steering wheel controls, since the work truck is a Chevy.

I've had the Nexus battery die a couple of times. Monitoring the kernel indicates that there's plenty of power available, but for whatever reason, the Nexus is not choosing to make use of it. For example, 1200 mA available, charging at ~50 mA, battery at ~20%. Resetting via the kernel fixed it, but...

I've also been playing with a backup camera, but without success at this point. The Nexus doesn't see the camera.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Sorry this has taken so long. Work and life have had me running crazy. i have had the steering wheel controls working for 2 months now. hopefully the walk-through to set up the joycon below will make sense. if not please let me know so i can try to clarify it. I know it was a pain for me to figure out.

first make sure the joycon explorer is installed on your laptop. you also need some spreadsheet program. i used Excel.

so the best way i found to set this up and get working with is to hook the joycon in line with the factory stereo. that way you send a message with the joycon, if it is correct, will have an affect on the stereo. looking at the directions on the joycon it will tell you what wires are for the canbus. pull the factory stereo as far out of the dash with out disconnecting anything as possible. then identify pin 15 and 16 on the smaller of the 2 connectors. you should then be able to slide the striped wire ends from the joycon into the back of the connector. now turn the key to the Acc pos so the stereo turns on. and plug the joycon into the laptop. Sorry i don't have any pics of how to hook up the wires. I already have mine attached to my harness before i thought about taking pics.

Open the joycon explorer. on the left side there will be a checkbox next to settings click on that

a new set of buttons will pop up now. you will need to press CAN Scan

This will bring up a new window. you will need to click ID filter and config at the bottom of this window

this will open 2 more windows. move these windows off to the side so tha t you can see all three at the same time. at the top of the ID filter window click the box next to Show sent CAN messages. Then on the Can config click the drop down next to baudrate. now my truck was at 125 so i would start there. if nothing shows up in the next step come back and select a different speed and hit apply.

if you go back to the window that says CAN Scanner at the top and hit start scan you should now start seeing messages scrolling. if not try selecting a different baud rate on the previous window. if that doesn't work try swapping the wires and/or make sure they have a good connection in the back of the connector with the metal pins. keep trouble shooting until you see the messages. Don't forget to have the stereo/truck power on in the ACC mode.

read the next few steps before beginning to avoid making a mistake in the middle.

once you have messages showing up press clear at the bottom of the window. Once you hit clear take a look at the time then walk away for around 10 minutes. DO NOT PRESS ANY BUTTONS in the truck. if you have pressed a button on the steering wheel or stereo clear and start again.

After 10 minutes press ONE button ONE time on the steering wheel. I suggest using either the skip or volume up button, those were the most important to get working for me. then hit stop and save at the bottom of the CAN scanner window. Save this file to your desktop as Capture1.

once save the file go back to the CAN Scanner window. Hit clear then start scan. once again walk away for around 10 minutes. when you come back do not hit any buttons in the truck. just press stop CAN Scanner and save the file as Capture2

If you are reading ahead you can now go back and complete these steps. you may want to stop and charge your laptop battery at this time also. the next few steps you can do inside just leave the joycon as it is we will be back.

Now you need to open Excel. once excel is open click open file and browse to where you saved the 2 files. at first you may not see them. at the bottom right window there will be a drop box that you need to click and select all files.

After that your files will show up. now open Capture 1. when you click open excel will ask you how you want to import the file. select Delimited in the first step

on the next window uncheck all of the delimiters.

On the 3rd screen you should just be able to click finish. this will import all of the messages into column A. now you need to Open a second excel window and repeat this for Capture 2.

you should now have 2 excel windows open. One with Capture1 in column A and the second window should have Capture2. In the window with the Capture2 click on the A at the top of the column. this should highlight the entire column. Then right click and hit copy. Now go to the window with Capture1. Click on the C at the top of the third column. then right click and hit paste. now resize colums A,B, and C so that none of the data is cutoff.
It should now look like this. (ignore the second column for now.)

Now click the first cell in the second/B column and input this formula

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$C$1:$C$5,0)),A1,"")

make sure the formula is exactly the same. if it is correct hit the enter key then click back on the cell. you should now see 3 different color boxes on the data sets.

move your mouse to the one of the bottom corners of the red frame. when the cursor changes to a double arrow click and drag down to the bottom of the messages. make sure to only keep that column highlighted red.

now scroll back to the top. move your mouse to the lower right hand corner of the first cell in the second/B column. the cursor should change to a plus sign. when it does click and drag straight down until you reach the bottom of data in the first/A column.

after a second or two you should see some data in the second/B column
now go to the very top and click file then Save AS then input the filename Capture Compare.

If all went well hopefully you do not have a ton of messages. then again a ton is relative i guess. for this next process i would start from the bottom of the spreadsheet as you didn't press a button until the very end.

This is when you need to go back out the truck and hook the joycon back up to the laptop, turn the truck key to ACC. then get back to where you can see the messages scrolling. if you don't remember just repeat the beginning steps.

Click the last cell in column B that has data show in it. then right click and click copy

now go back to the Can Scanner window and on the right side where it says button message right click and click paste. this should paste the message you had copied from the spreadsheet

now click start scan if you are not seeing the messages scrolling. once you are seeing the messages scrolling click on the message on the right side to highlight it. then at the bottom click the button that says send

you should see a red arrow pop up on the left side indicating that the Joycon sent the message.

now if you got lucky the volume or preset/song should have changed based on what button you pushed for the captured. if not repeat the last couple of steps with the messages in the second/B column from bottom to the top.

once you get a response from the stereo go back to the Can Scanner window. On the left you should see some dashes next to the message you just sent. click on those and select A3 Down ( if you hit the volume up you may want to use A4 Down, i selected B12 down in the screenshot for the walk through so i wouldn't mess with what i already had set up.

you now need to right click on the message. you will get a drop down box that you will need to click property.

You will need to uncheck the last 4 boxes at the bottom and next to duration input 2

once that is done close the property window and hit apply on the Can Scanner window.

now close all three of those windows. you should now be looking at the main joycon explorer window. on the top line you should see A3 or A4. at the bottom on the on screen keyboard click what you want that button to be. if you want it to be volume up click on the speaker with the + next to it. then go to the top and click on the A3 or A4 at the top.
for the screen shot i just clicked on a random button

now if all went well when you press the volume or seek key on the steering wheel you should get both a response from the stereo and a response from the laptop indicating that the joycon saw the button was pressed. Hopefully this worked out for you. if not please let me know so i can try to clarify.

Reactions: valk791

·
Registered
3 Posts
Need help with Joycon settings.

So more good news I found what CAN messages are for Media, Seek, and volume. I will post more information on the configuration of the joycon once i get it fully working. as of right now the joycon is seeing me press the button but it thinks i'm holding it down so i am looking at settings to see what i have wrong but this means no need to buy the other module as the joycon EXC can see the correct messages... just a pain in the but to figure out.
Sorry to revive this old post but I need some help with the Joycon settings that you eventually figured out. I am having the same trouble with the Joycon over the CAN Bus on my Mercedes C300. I got the Joycon wired up and its seeing me press the steering wheel controls (although it doesn't do it consistently). When it does read it, and I map it to a keyboard key like volume down, but it shows that I'm holding it down for some reason.

An example of where I think the problem lies is that the volume up message is 10 00 and the following two bytes are random like B0 6C or D0 FB. Even if I set the message to 10 00 00 00 on the right side window of the can scan, and hit Send the left window will still show a random number in the last 2 bytes.

I'm a noob when it comes to all of this and I was only able to get this far using your screenshots that you provided. For All I know it doesn't even matter if the last two bytes are random and it could be something else all together.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
no worries on the revive. i'm glad it helped.

if you look through my screen shots of the joycon setup, i think pic 24 ( if i counted correctly) shows me deselecting some checkboxes. these checkboxes tell the joycon which part of the message to look for. i had selected only the first 4 as like yours the last 4 seemed to be random when the message came accrossed. the joycon will then ignore the slots that you leave unselected.

as far as the momentary press i don't exactly remember. i'm currently on leave away from home so i cannot verify. but i believe on the top left of the joycon explorer there is a set of tabs. if you click on the button tab there should be a column for hold time. i believe i set that to one to correct it. i know that it is a setting some where in the joycon. i apologize for not being able to help more with that at this time. if you continue to have issues with it i will be home next week and can hook up to mine and take a look at my loaded file

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, I really appreciate it! I will try to implement these steps tonight when I get home and report back.

Also, with respect to the check boxes, Do you remember if you unchecked the last four boxes for every Byte No. or just Byte No. 0 like it shows in your pic? I was experimenting with checking and unchecking boxes but there are too many combinations to choose from lol (8 Byte boxes with 8 check boxes for each).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks for the quick response, I really appreciate it! I will try to implement these steps tonight when I get home and report back.

Also, with respect to the check boxes, Do you remember if you unchecked the last four boxes for every Byte No. or just Byte No. 0 like it shows in your pic? I was experimenting with checking and unchecking boxes but there are too many combinations to choose from lol (8 Byte boxes with 8 check boxes for each).
Sorry for the late response things got super busy for me. i just unchecked the last 4 for each message. so my joycon is only looking for the first half of each message as i think on my truck the last 4 change each time the message is sent. Does that answer your question? correct me if i missunderstood

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
How does the backup camera activate?
sorry for the late response. i got busy and didn't see the notificaton for your post. Currently i manually launch mine as i haven't had time to mess with the joycon any more. but there are several ways you can do it.

One, if your running the joycon you can tap your reverse light and use that wire as an input to signal the joycon and it can then launch the app that works with the camera that you chose. this is what i want to finish when my life settles down a bit.

two, also if you are using the joycon, there should be a canbus message that will normally notify everything that you are in reverse and when you leave reverse. you could then program that you launch an app. i chose not to do this as i didn't want to sit for an hour shifting gears to find the code and i couldn't find it online

three, the kernel that i'm using and app i'm using can use device detection and launch when it detects the camera connected in this way you would just tap the reverse light brake line and tie it to the camera power. i also chose not to use this method because i wanted to be able to use the camera at any time not just in reverse. i have my camera powered any time the truck is on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all your help. I haven't had time to mess with this since the last time I posted but you def. understood what it was I was asking and I hope that it'll work for me when I try it. Will post results when I mess with it. Most of my time was spent running a switched power lead from the engine fuse box since all my interior electronics have constant 12v. I like your advice on the backup camera, that was probably gonna be might next question (now I dont have to ask it lol)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm still having basic problems with mine. It never goes into a deep sleep with Temur's Kernel. The battery goes dead within 2-3 days. I don't even know where to start looking... :-(

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I'm still having basic problems with mine. It never goes into a deep sleep with Temur's Kernel. The battery goes dead within 2-3 days. I don't even know where to start looking... :-(
The best help for this would be on timur's reddit forum. my bet is you have an app open that is stopping it from going all the way to sleep. make sure to uninstall/disable all the things you don't need to have installed in the truck. after that there are some other places i can possibly walk you threw checking.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm having to trouble finding Timur. I can find plenty of stuff ABOUT him, but not by him...
I've deleted/disabled a bunch of stuff, but it still won't sleep. I've noticed that the gps has a fix the instant the tablet comes on, which can't be right... I'm on the road for a week now, so I won't have much time to play until after Christmas.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts