Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have wanted to do this for a long time on other vehicles but i didn't plan on keeping them so i put it off. I plan on keeping this truck till it falls apart so decided it was time to try it. I really wanted a NAV unit and i wanted to run torque all the time. This allows both and more. This is my first time doing a build Thread so i will probably leave some stuff out but i haven't seen any other Nexus installs so figured i would make one.

What i ordered

Nexus 7
Amazon.com: Nexus 7 from Google (7-Inch, 32 GB, Black) by ASUS (2013) Tablet: Computers & Accessories

"Sponsored" Timur's Kernel
https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-n7-2013/

Ford Wire harness
Amazon.com: Stereo Wire Harness Ford F-250/350/450/550 08 09 10 11 2008 2009 2010 2011 (car radio wiring installation parts): Everything Else

90 Degree OTG cable
Amazon.com: BobjGear® Highest Quality Right Angle OTG Cable Adapter for all Micro USB OTG ports to full Female USB - Perfect fit for Nexus Tablets and BobjGear Rugged Cases - (Individually quality tested by BobjGear and shipped only from Amazon US wa

USB Host OTG cable + Charging

Amp Kit

5V DC regulater
Amazon.com: DROK® 10A/50W 9-32V 12V/24V to 5V Car DC Voltage Converter Regulator Power Supply,Waterproof: Electronics

I also purchaced a 12V relay, some extra wire and a fuse holder.
I had a USB to headset dac already handy so i did not buy one but probably will upgrade to a better one later.

I am still working on a fix for steering wheel controls and backup cam. i believe i have found a fix for those but as i don't have it working yet i will update later when it is.

First i cut/dremeled out a slot on both sides of the double din face plate

i then ensured the tablet would fit properly and be held securely by the frame.

I then ran the all the wiring. here is a diagram of what i installed. Forgive my skills in paint. its what i had :dunno:

And here is the final product.

The tablet, when configured with Timur's Kernel, powers up when it receives power and goes into a deep sleep when power is lost. The kernel allows USB host mode and charging at the same time. Host mode allows you to run usb accessories like HDDs, webcams, ect. I plan on rerunning the usb that is in the dash to the hub so i can easily load new music or pics via usb drive. Let me know if you have any questions and i will answer to the best of my ability.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most likely not. The kernals are usaly device specific.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm very interested in this project, and have little knowledge on how to accomplish it, so some of my questions may be dumb, but...

Why did you go with the 32 GB Nexus instead of the 16? Couldn't an external HD be connected through the USB port if needed? Why didn't you go with the LTE unit?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mostly comes down to personal choice. I personally always want extra storage. USB drives should be good. The only thing you have to watch for as in my setup the hub loses power when I shut off the truck so the nexus may have to refind all the music. The kernal I'm running should fix that but I haven't messed with it yet.

I didn't go with LTE for cost reasons. The LTE version cost about 150 more in most cases. Also to use LTE you have to pay an additional access charge every month. I desided that I would just teather it from my phone instead. It gives it the same capability and if my phone doesn't have service neither would the tablet.

Hope that awnsers your questions.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm getting my order ready, and I'm looking at the90 degree OTG cable and the USB host OTG cable + Charging. I can't figure out how the charging cable plugs into the 90 degree cable. What am I'm missing?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you get the 90 degree cable it needs to be a micro to micro. a normal otg will be mini to normal usb
this would be more like what you need Amazon.com: VONOTO 90 Degree Micro USB Male to Female Extension cable Micro USB Male/Female Sync & Charging cable for Cellphones Tablet PC (Micro USB Extension cable): Cell Phones & Accessories

i will warn you that i had to sand down some of the plastic on the inside of the my dash plastic and still had a hard time to get a 90 degree to work. i had a problem today and am actualy taking off the plastic on the connection that plugs into the tablet so it will fit better

·
Registered
150 Posts
Okay, I've got my tablet and have been familiarizing myself with it. I understand that the process of installing Timur's Kernel will void the warranty, so I want to exercise it for a bit while its "stock." While I was initializing it, it listed a bunch of updates, so now, among a lot of other things, I've got 5.0.2, which I now see that Timur says there is a beta for. I hope that isn't going to make things difficult...

BTW, SuchTrk, are you going to incorporate FM or satellite receivers into your installation for when you're out of wireless range?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It will void the warranty if its related to software. If you get something like a broke button or dead pixels you will still be fine. the problem with operating it while its stock you can't haven't it automatically go to sleep and wake up on power states. This is fine if you do a setup that you can remove the tablet but if you do a more permanent install it will be a pain. You could try to add and external button for power but i didn't want to open up the tablet to try it.

I went ahead and upgraded to the 5.02 as i wanted to play with the new android version. with that i am running his V3 Beta for it. So far it is working well

I plan on getting a software defined usb radio for it as soon as i get my steering wheel controls working. my module for that should be here Friday. But i plan on just storing music on it or on a thumb drive for when i am out of range for music.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
as far as rooting and installing his packages, if you get read up on the process and are carefull you won't have a problem. As long as you get a recovering installed and working before you mess with the operating system you can always find the factory version online. Because the nexus was meant to be more open they host all of the factory images online for easy access so you can always revert back if you have a problems.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I only figured to wait a week or so for the software. I've watched one YouTube video on rooting; I'm going to read up on it a bit more before I dive in...

·
Registered
127 Posts
The nexus line is really good. I use a Nexus 4 phone and a Nexus 9 tablet. Never thought to put one in my dash though. Very neat writeup.

·
Registered
955 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
SuchTrk, I hope your project is progressing satisfactorily. So far I've obtained:
and

The N7 is rooted and Temur's Kernel is installed; everything seems to be running fine.

A couple of confusing things:
1. The replacement 90* micro USB cable isn't listed as an OTG cable, but it seems to be doing the job.

2. The description on Amazon for the "Y" cable specifically states that it won't charge the tablet, but it is. ???

I connected the OTG "Y" cable in line with the standard N7 charger while watching the Power Event Manager. I enabled F1 mode, fast charging, and firm sleep. Show suspend screen... And show wake up toast were enabled by default.

External power and charging battery indicated correctly when the power cable was plugged into the female micro USB. The tablet shut down and came back to life when power was disconnected and reconnected.

Where did you find the 12V switched that stays hot while the key is in the "start" position? It doesn't appear that the 12V switched to the stock radio does.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 55 Posts