Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think I should be doing next? Really been eyeing a Tonneau cover and Coolant filter. Well, I have the opportunity now to do one of them.... they both will get done eventually, but which should I do first? I'll be buying the first this month, and then doing the other probably in the Fall. One helps keep the water pump happy and things clean, the other might give me the opportunity to save some fuel on HWY trips.

·
Registered
295 Posts
In my case, I have had 2 covers on 2 different trucks. They dont really seem to add to MPG. This is my case, not saying that others have gotten any better. I have the X2000 from gaylords lids. Its a nice lid, but a pain if you ever need to put anything in the back. Just my :twocents:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking at the roll up ones from Access? one person roll up jobs with the bows built into the vinyl so cargo isn't an issue with those. and they are light weight vs the fiberglass lids.

·
Registered
663 Posts
People love to argue this.......But on LONG distance trips I have consistantly gained 2 mpg by dropping the tailgate, for short trips the difference is negligable.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
People love to argue this.......But on LONG distance trips I have consistantly gained 2 mpg by dropping the tailgate, for short trips the difference is negligable.
I noticed similar results with my first pickup. Now, I carry to much junk around in the back to leave the gate down to compare. I think most people just take everything on Mythbusters as fact and don't realize how some of thier test lack quite a bit of control.

JBaker, I would buy the filter kit first if it were me.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the coolant filter is the cheaper of the 2 also...

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I vote for the bypass coolant filter. If the filter gets clogged, doesn't matter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts