Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the 6.7...Does anybody believe that ford has a 7.3 in testing again?:ford:

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
no and they need to pick a design and stick with it and make it work good.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i honestly dont think the one we got now will stay too long. not as long as people think

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
I'm pretty sure my next truck will be a dodge.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would not be surprised if a 6.7 cummins is an option in a years to come

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
If ford gets the cummins and ram doesnt......I think we can kiss Ram trucks bye bye unless they can come up with a great engine design. The cummins is why half the people buy dodge trucks

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL while selling cummins but dreaming of powerstrokes!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
more like 80 percent lol

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I work at a Dodge dealership and someone accidentally ordered a Ram 3500 with a Hemi instead of cummins. Its been there since christmas lol

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah that's true. Its the only reason I would consider buying one also the only new diesel with a 6 spd. I also heard along with that rumor that Allison transmission would be an option behind the cummins.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
:doh:
A 7.3 is old and dead and obsolete technology. It will only be a CR mech. injection motor from now on. Unless something new comes out. Why have such a big motor when you can make twice as much power or more from something smaller?
Along with emissions, you won't get the same motor at all.
The whole "Cummins in a Ford" was because a long time ago, Ford owned stock in Cummins. A small amount I believe. But the whole crowd that now says "6.0s suck, they break, I hate them" originally started the whole "Ford will now have a Cummins motor in the SDs" because the are uneducated and ignorant.
Besides, the 7.3 wasn't Ford's anyway. It was IHs motor.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
^^^^^ when I tell people I want a 6.0 they always say something along the lines of "that motor is junk they always break" and that just shows their ignorance because once the problems of the 6.0 are solved it can be a really reliable motor!

·
Registered
338 Posts
^^^^^ when I tell people I want a 6.0 they always say something along the lines of "that motor is junk they always break" and that just shows their ignorance because once the problems of the 6.0 are solved it can be a really reliable motor!
Thats the issue I have. You shouldn't have to do all the work to fix things that should have been correct from day one. The 6.0 is much better in the commercial applications. I have been looking for a nice 08 and up truck with a blowen engine to drop my 7.3 in.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Why would you not want a 6.4? Waste a perfectly good truck by doing that to it.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
The 6.0 as a motor is solid as can be. Once you put on all the garbage for emissions though thats what makes it unreliable. Don't blame the 6.0 blame the tree huggers lol

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
No because they are two different platforms with FIVE years of emissions laws difference.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
putting a 7.3 in a 08 truck would be like putting a 4 cylinder honda motor in a mustang. would it be reliable, yes, would it be slow as heck, yes haha. not a smart idea.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Thats the issue I have. You shouldn't have to do all the work to fix things that should have been correct from day one. The 6.0 is much better in the commercial applications. I have been looking for a nice 08 and up truck with a blowen engine to drop my 7.3 in.
I am pretty sure when your transplanting engines you have to match years or go newer due to emisions....(ie you cant put a 99 engine into an 08 truck because the 08 originally came with emisions and the 99 didnt).
Or something like that.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
True, to some extent.

Here in WV, you could do it, as there is no emission testing... for now. When, (not if) they start doing testing, and I'm sure they will, it's only a matter of time, the your project would be worthless as an on-the-road truck.

I can see the value of such a swap, I'd like to put a good running 7.3 drivetrain in a '05-'07 truck, for the coil spring ride, and turning radius improvements. Not likely to happen, but it's a nice 'bench racing pipe dream'.

Is a 7.3 as powerful and quick as a 6.4/6.7? Nope. But it's a darn sight more affordable, and you could buy 4 trucks powered by a 7.3 for what you'd pay for 1 truck powered by a 6.7.

·
Registered
338 Posts
No checks here in Indiana. And I don't care about the power that much. If I did I would build a gas motor in a car. I want a good 4x4 truck that I can drive everyday with big tires and still get 18 mpg. Sorry but the only engine I see doing that is the 7.3.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts