Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought two new Motorcraft batteries from the local dealer 1 and 1/2 years ago, should still be in really good condition right? That's what I thought! I took one of mine out to start my buddies '69 half ton chevy and it wouldn't even click the starter solinoid over! Plus the batteries are all covered in acid, and stink like .......battery acid! Do the motorcraft batteries just suck, or is my alternator frying them?

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE ALTERNATOR SHOULD BE READING? I'M GOING TO THROW A TESTER ON IT.
THANKS!

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Dayum you don't have to yell Adrian. :hehe: IIRC it's 1 volt above your battery so it should be in the 13.6 range. Hopefully someone else will verify this too.

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL!
I just can't understand why I bought them both at the same time and the driverside battery is good, I actually started my truck with only that one installed, and the passanger side battery is FRIED!!!!
I'll check the voltage and let you know!

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
That is weird, hopefully someone else will chime in because i'm not 100% sure.

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since the factory replacement batteries SUCK can you all give me some tips on battery brands? I've heard on here that the optima wasn't very good, and I went to their website and they don't even list an option for the powerstroke.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Well i just got 2 new interstates for my truck last week so it's too early to say how they'll last. At 90 bucks a piece i hope it's a very long time.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I just went to Optima's, a friend of mine, actually several say they realy like them in boats.

Alternator should be putten out 14.1 volts.

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just went to Optima's, a friend of mine, actually several say they realy like them in boats.

Alternator should be putten out 14.1 volts.
I don't know what it's putting out, I lost the directions to my amp/volt meter :doh:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Our battery/alternator tester shows 14-15 volts as the "OK" zone for the alternator output. As for directions, if there is a selector pick DC voltage. Fire the truck up and put the red lead on positive and the black lead on ground and read the voltage.

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fire the truck up and put the red lead on positive and the black lead on ground and read the voltage.
WOW! That's what I was doing wrong :doh:
I hope you were joking, or are there really people who mess that up?:tard:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Check the bad battery with a small charger and see how much current it draws, or if it still has a little charge check the voltage. Over the last 20 years I have had 3 batteries go bad with a shorted cell. This effectively makes a lower voltage battery and your alternator over charges it (lower voltage). If your lucky it just makes a mess as it boils out acid, usually it will not start your car if you have a single battery, so you find the problem before you boil much acid. If you are unlucky it burns out your alternator, I did this on one by getting a jump to start the truck and drove abut 1/4 mile before the alternator fried. I now carry a cheap voltmeter in the glove box so if the truck doesn't start I can check the voltage at the battery before jumping.

By the way 2 were OEM Ford batteries.

Jeb

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check the bad battery with a small charger and see how much current it draws, or if it still has a little charge check the voltage. Over the last 20 years I have had 3 batteries go bad with a shorted cell. This effectively makes a lower voltage battery and your alternator over charges it (lower voltage). If your lucky it just makes a mess as it boils out acid, usually it will not start your car if you have a single battery, so you find the problem before you boil much acid. If you are unlucky it burns out your alternator, I did this on one by getting a jump to start the truck and drove abut 1/4 mile before the alternator fried. I now carry a cheap voltmeter in the glove box so if the truck doesn't start I can check the voltage at the battery before jumping.

By the way 2 were OEM Ford batteries.

Jeb
That's what I thought about the single battery, but the pass. side battery was completely out of the truck and it started on the drivers side battery only.

Also I cleaned the terminals yesterday and now the battery is reading normal levels, soooo I guess I need to do more routine maintainence on the batteries!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
That's what I thought about the single battery, but the pass. side battery was completely out of the truck and it started on the drivers side battery only.

Also I cleaned the terminals yesterday and now the battery is reading normal levels, soooo I guess I need to do more routine maintainence on the batteries!
He ment if you only have one battery, you had one good battery and one bad battery that you took out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts