Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , i have been kind of searching for a board to join and was lucky enough to find this one ,seems like a real good place!!

Anyway , i just bought a 99 dually , it has 280 on the clock , pretty good shape , motor seems to sound good , but just has no power .
I changed the fuel filter which was black , pulled the K&N out and i swear i beat 2 pounds of finely compacted dust out of it , said forget it , and went and bought a paper one for now.
i thought that this would fix my sluggishness , a little more than it did.
But it is still really doggy feeling , a little better at the higher rpms but still not what i expected.
What i have noticed is it virtually blows no black smoke , and i mean so little that i cannot see it when i look out of my side mirror when im hard into it .
Truck runs with no misses that i can feel, cranks fairly easily ... what could it be.
I jumped the gun and bought an older model hyperteck programmer for it , and it helped a little even on setting two its not what i expected.
Oh and even with the programmer no increase in black smoke at all.....
someone please help , its driving me crazy.
99 f350 dually, auto all stock except for older hypertech

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Dookie welcome to the site. Is it an early 99 or late 99 what is the build date on the door

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
well first off :welcome1::welcome2::ORG welcome::welcome2::welcome1: and as for the truck bein sluggish... well it is a 7.3L... and if you want a little more power out of it I would get a different chip for sure and go from there...:thumb:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Its 5/95 build ,
THe hypertech does have 3 settings , but didnt want to move to the highest right off the bat .
I would agree with the 7.3 remark about being a dog by nature , but i had a company f250 , 97 model , that would kill this truck , i remember how impressed i was when i first drove that one , and boy was i let down with this one..go figure!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

im telling you i have seen more black smoke come from my TItan than this ...

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Its 5/95 build ,
THe hypertech does have 3 settings , but didnt want to move to the highest right off the bat .
I would agree with the 7.3 remark about being a dog by nature , but i had a company f250 , 97 model , that would kill this truck , i remember how impressed i was when i first drove that one , and boy was i let down with this one..go figure!
5/95 build will make it a 95 model year. Does the truck have a box shape or is it round?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

5/95 build will make it a 95 model year. Does the truck have a box shape or is it round?
My gosh im an idiot , 5/99 build date ....sorry

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
can you pull codes with your hypertech? Just out of curiousity see if there are any

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

OK i manned up and set the hypertech to stage three, and it does feel a lot more impressive , but still not quite there , power wise.
Still no black smoke , I think im going to get a tire and build a campfire in the bed that ought to do it!!

I just cant help but to think since im not seeing any smoke that something isnt flowing or breathing just right .

Also , some of my heartbreak came from just the other day i bought a bully dog off of craigslist , the guy said it fit my model year, and didnt , but it did fit my fathers 06 3500 dodge,. when i put it in his on setting tow/economy , it would literally spin the tires as long as i wanted , and went from very little smoke to a pretty good smoke screen at WOT..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

No i cannot pull codes with my hypertech , its a vintage model i think , big blue brick, 2003 version

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ive got a early 99 and ill repeat what has been said earlier they are doggish i felt the same way when i got mine :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I was thinking that the 5/99 and up were the higher h/p motors.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts