Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just bought a 1996 F250 Ext. cab 7.3 PSD in late February. I had non diesel pickups before but wanted a diesel so I could run WVO. My brother has THOUSANDS of miles on several different vehicles running straight VO and blends. With his success, I wanted to dabble a little bit in the WVO/SVO area, so he let me use his 1983 MBZ 300D ("Wynona") for 6 months and I put about 5000 miles on the car running a WVO/RUG blend. The only issue I had was multiple pre-filter changing/cleaning for the first 3000 miles. After I got the tank cleaned out, I had no more fuel related issues.
I started collecting oil in November 08 and built my filtering/settling system. After a few upgrades, I believe I have the best quality oil I can get. I use a variant of John Galt's "Cold Upflow Settling" method. I have a filter barrel with a 5 micron sock filter that I fill with ONLY good Non Hydrogenated oil. I let that barrel settle for a few days, then pump about 9 gallons into my C.U.S., 8-10 hours later I have 9 gallons of clean/dry oil in my finished barrel, then I repeat the process. I can have a full 55 gal. barrel full in about a week.
I hand pump 17 gal. of WVO into my 20 gal. mixing barrel and 3 gal. RUG and mix it up, then roll the barrel (it's on a 4 wheel dolly I made) out to the truck and fill the front tank. I start the truck on the rear tank which is filled with diesel, then when it get's to operating temp, I switch to the front tank, the switch back to the rear tank about 5-6 miles from home.
The only difference I've noticed is it's a little quieter on the WVO/RUG blend, and I haven't had any fuel filter issues like I had with the Benz. As far as mileage, the average is 15.4 with the worst being 12.5 towing a 7500 lb travel trailer and 16.5 on a long trip.
The truck pulls my trailer just as well as my previous truck (2003 Dodge Ram w/5.7 Hemi) and get's much better fuel mileage!
More updates later.......Dennis

·
Registered
453 Posts
awesome job! i wish i had the knowhow to do this, sounds interesting, and not to mention saves you money!

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
good job! similar to my setup but my filterign methods are different. youll like it!

do you have a meter on your pump to measure mpg? just curious how you decided to do that. i dont want to spend the $ on a meter. not now anyway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you have a meter on your pump to measure mpg? just curious how you decided to do that. i dont want to spend the $ on a meter. not now anyway.
My mixing barrel has lines on the outside marked every gallon, it's pretty close but not exact. Figuring out your fuel mileage is not exact anyway as you don't fill the tank up exactly the same every time. I just use it for comparison.
If you figure ONLY the fuel I purchase at the gas station (assuming the WVO is free), I'm getting between 35-40 mpg! I do spend some time gathering the oil, filtering and mixing the blend and cleaning my setup (I'm a bit anal about that), so the WVO is not really free.
I think of it as a hobby - some people make their own wine or brew their own beer, I make my own fuel. I have a good supply of really nice slightly used oil from Asian restaurants, so I know I'm making some quality fuel.......Dennis

·
Is it even worth it???
9,097 Posts
Welcome to Powerstroke.org
:welcome1::welcome2::welcome1::welcome2::welcome1::welcome2::welcome1:​

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,740 Posts
Welcome to the ORG!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts