Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some research, looking for a rig to pull my 5,500# boat & trailer up the coast. My dad & I have always driven diesel cars (he's got two VW diesels and my ride is a 1985 M-B turbodiesel wagon) so I've been looking into oilburning pickups.

I have always considered the OBS Ford pickups as the ultimate in functionality and I've gotten great reports from commercial users of Powerstrokes.

this board looks like a good place to get some learning on OBS trucks, so I'll just be lurking & taking it in.

I see that most of you like to modify your trucks significantly. in my case, I woudln't be planning any big changes. a nice plain 4WD truck with a reasonable powerplant, drivetrain and brakes is all I need (manual tranny preferred) -- hopefully one that makes 15-18 mpg on the highway! it would allow me to take my Merc off the road in the winter - it's starting to develop some pretty good rust after 23 years!

if I can ever save up some coin I hope to find an OBS in good shape for < $4K...is that realistic?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
well first :ORG welcome: and the 7.3 should do you good to pull a 5,500lb boat

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks s/g.

boat is 22' weighs 4,500# empty...

wife's family has a beach house 125 miles up the coast; boat burns too much ga$ to run it that far by water

probably spend at least $1,500 for a trailer, maybe $2K...hope to keep the trailer/tow vehicle price under $5K

how hard is it to find a manual tranny?

·
What u talkin bout willis
2,724 Posts
:welcome: great place to get addicted to modding your truck!!! er i mean research good info sounds better

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
:welcome2:

·
Registered
214 Posts
welcome i just passed a obs stick for like 5000 it in good shape from what i could see the price should not change that much this one had mods also so yea you in a good price range

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
you will have to look hard, but you can find one for the price and with a manual. It will just take some time. It took me about two years to find a 5spd dually when i was in the market.

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
WELCOME TO THE ORG!! An OBS with the 7.3 is a good choice for a tow vehicle. Lots of power, torque and reliability. It might take some searching to get a decent one that's been taken care in your price range but it can be done. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since I'm low on coin, patience won't be a problem :hehe:

I need a nice plain OBS, hopefully will be cheaper that way

thanks for the nice welcome boyz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts