Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**if not allowed here please remove or change location :) **

Hey there , I've sold my old lil ranger and want to make quite the improvement up to a PSD. Quick run down about me 20yr old from Canada, don't need a big truck but want one ... of course i do. If I had the money id buy a 6.7 Platinum ...unfortunately thats many year's away.The 6.4 I've been told to stay away from, gas guzzlers, a lot of engine problems etc??. So I've been kind of limited to a 6.0

This would be my first diesel , and I'm not very mechanically inclined , I can do my own oil changes and thats about it. Im trying to read and learn about everything so i don't end with a hefty repair bill,Im currently looking at two 6.0's and would like your feedback on them

1.) 2006 F350 4X4 Lariat (Grey) 217,000KM
* 6 Liter Motor Bullet proofed at 186,000 Km's Have Bills
* Innovative Diesel programmer with Installed chip
* New Mickey Thompson Tires 37 X 12.5 R20 LT
* Fuel 20 Inch wheels
* New Fox Performance Series Shocks
* 3 Fab Tech Steering Stabilizers
* Fab Tech 6 Inch Lift installed
* New Front end eg. tie rods & ball joints & Seals
* 4 Front end Fog Lights (2 LED)
* Pro Comp Gauges (Boost Gauge,Pyrometer and Trans Temp)
* 4 inch RBP Exhaust from Turbo back
* New LED Tail Lights and HID Headlights
* Pioneer Deck With Kenwood 350 Watt Amp and Sub
* Amp Research Power Running Boards
* Tow Package with Hitch
* Spray in Box Liner
* Custom Painted Body Color Fender Flares
* Pwr Windows, Locks, Mirrors, Seats & Sunroof, Pwr Rear Sliding Window, Pwr Foot pedals
* Leather Heated Seats
* A/C Ice Cold

Asking $25,000

2.) 2005 F350 167,000KM (white)
ARP HEAD STUDS, new aftermarket head gasket, new turbo, newer oversized injectors, EGR delete, fuel pressure regulator blue spring upgrade, new oil cooler, rebuilt hpop with upgraded fittings, new edge tuner with digital gauges to monitor engine and transmission, AFE stage 2 intake, 4" turbo back exhaust with no muffler and 5" tip, replaced the majority of the sensors on the truck, shift kit in the transmission, truck has almost a complete new front end including BD adjustable track bar and brand new heavy duty steering box, always changed oil and filter with full synthetic T6 every 5000km. Truck has a 6" BDS lift kit with dual steering stabilizers, 37x12.50x20 nitto trail grapplers on 20" XD rockstar rims, bushwhacked fender flares, rhino lined rockers, full bedliner, 2008 super duty tailgate,

Asking $15,000

Attachments

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Please look at these vids"

Whatever you decide on, the best thing yo can do is bring it to a independent diesel shop, pay them $150 to look at it. That is discussed in the video. Many of the trucks being sold have bad heads. It's either the previous owner found out and is selling to avoid a $5k repair bill, or has been driving them a long time and didn't know. A used dealer may fix the heads if you buy it, but probably not with good heads and the right way. None of these trucks are perfect. They're all ten years or more old.

Also, be wary of bulletproofing. Read the stickies on that. Bulletproofing means a lot to a lot of different people. For some dealers, means as little as a one for one ARP head stud swap.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I would be concerned about the aftermarket head gasket as well unless you can find out which ones they used

·
Registered
377 Posts
Couple cents:
Be ready to work on it or be ready to pay someone too.
Having some sort of monitor is pretty much a necessity on these trucks, regardless of bulletproofing. That should be your first purchase of any PSD 6.0.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
If you would really like to have a 6.7, you can achieve it for the prices I see here. I paid $25,500 for my '11 F450 4X4crew cab. I love my 6.0, and will never get rid of it, so you can go either way. Have someone knowledgeable inspect any truck before throwing out cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
You could also look for a decent 7.3, if you can find one with relatively low miles, it may be a better option if you are not able to do your own work. Of course they're all getting older so they'll all need some work, it's just that the 7.3 is more forgiving than the 6.0 and especially the 6.4
Bill had a good idea too...6.7.
Anyway you go, follow the advice already given...pay a mechanic who knows these trucks and have him go over it.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Having just done this about a year ago, the first question I would ask myself would be, "Do I have a good job that will pay for maintenance and repairs?" And I mean this in all honesty, because a diesel truck can break you financially...even if you do your homework. If money might play a factor, I would steer you away from a diesel.

If money isn't an issue:

1: Check out OASIS reports on the truck(s) you're thinking about buying to see what was done under warranty. This can weed out a lot of trucks right off the bat.

2. When you go to test drive it, make sure it's a cold start...as in engine off for at least 12 hours (the cooler the external temp, the better IMO because it can point out things that would normally be hidden). Spend an hour or two crawling around underneath the hood and underneath the truck looking for leaks, worn parts, etc. When you start it, watch for excess smoke at idle and while driving. If available, take a monitor along to it to watch EOT, ECT, etc. to know what you're getting in to. Don't rely on the seller's word that all is good!! See it with your own eyes.

3. Definitely get a pre-purchase inspection from a reputable mechanic who knows the 6.0...it might be the best $100 you spend!!

4. Once you're satisfied, buy the truck and first thing to do as someone mentioned is to make sure it has a good set of gauges or a monitor to keep an eye on engine health.

-jokester

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
You may want to get a carfax too. They don't always show everything but you'll know where it's been.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have to say, I always wanted a diesel and never had one (except I went from a 2008 crew cab f350 with the 5.4 gas to a 2004 crew cab with 6.0). The concerns that I always had with a diesel, and what kept me from getting one for so long was the cost of maintenance. I have had my truck now almost 3 years and can tell you that it would be in your best interest to become a little more mechanically inclined! Even with the work I have had to do to my truck --- new oil cooler, new hpop, pulled turbo too many times to count now, ELC coolant swap with block valves --- and I did it on my own with no previous experience (with help from the board!) I would still go diesel, just something about that sound and power compared to my old 5.4.

As jokester00 said, a gauge would be pretty helpful, wish I knew about it before I bought my truck. I bought the scangauge II and it has helped my out a lot! A cold start test is a must, my failing Hpop would only show itself after 18 hours of not running. Also, don't let it idle very long before you take off, my truck would buck real bad until I hit operating temps. If I were going 50 MPH and tried to gradually make it to 55, it would shake, search for stiction, it didn't really matter what the temp was outside (I have since had all injectors tested, polished and new seals).

·
Registered
708 Posts
This would be my first diesel , and I'm not very mechanically inclined , I can do my own oil changes and thats about it. Im trying to read and learn about everything so i don't end with a hefty repair bill,Im currently looking at two 6.0's
This scares me. 6.0s are like women. they ALWAYS need something. And when you take it to the shop it will almost never be under 1000$. I do all my own work. Dont send a single thing out. And parts alone will scare you. IMO its in your best interest to do ALOT of reading and buy some tools. Or find a buddy thats a decent mechanic. And its not just the 6.0. All diesels are expensive to run.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
...... If money might play a factor, I would steer you away from a diesel......

-jokester
For me its money's not a factor, but my wife and kids ain't that happy we have not been on a real vacation in four years. What a coincidence, I've also owned the truck four years. Many decisions like that I've made over the last four years to keep this truck going.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks everyone, the 2 vehicles have carfax's and are both are clean, knew about the monitor and watching the gauges , the one grey truck has 3 gauges (forgot what they were for boost, pyrometer and something else i think) i will be reading up more about them ,looking at a 04 f150 tomorrow for on 10k so will be saving money there :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts