Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i have a whole slew of questions that would be REALLY GREAT if someone could help me out with, since i need this truck ASAP! check here:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/engine-911/111000-95-7-3t-f250-quit-running-cranks-im-stuck.html

ANYways i'm at the point where i think i should check the ipr...i'd replace it soon as yesterday if i could diagnose that as being the problem, but random shots in the dark are pushing component costs over 1k$ quick, money i don't have.

WHERE the heck is it? Do i have to remove the fuel filter housing to get at it?

-new ford ps owner.

·
Registered
149 Posts
IPR will run you 180 for a new one give or take.Do you have a scan tool or AE available

The IPR is right under the fuel filter in the back of the HPOP.It will be on your right side and have two wires coming from it.There is a brass barrel on the back of it and stamped brass nut that holds the barrel on.You need a Super deep socket to get the IPR out I am not sure on the size.

Where do you live?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, i thought i had a scan tool, but it's an $80 one from autozone, so maybe it doesn't work...i can buy components, i just cant buy EVERY component...

I did find the thing, i'll try to rebuild it with rings etc. No idea if that's the problem. Not getting fuel. Runs on starter fluid (only run it for a second like that). Originally died on a long drive after switching to the rear tank with water in fuel light. Check that link above for more info.

edit to add: i can measure fuel pressure at the shrader valve right? around 40 pounds when cranking or something?

I'm in northern CA.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
bad injector harness?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those AZ scan tools will not work on a PSD

I am not sure on the FP on an OBS truck

IF there is no fuel then it is not an IPR issue.
I'm VERY new to this but I thought the ipr could stick open and not let the hpop pressurize the injectors?

bad injector harness?
I replaced both valve cover gaskets and under valve cover harnesses. More info in the link above. Gonna try gasoline rag and wd40 today. Appreciate the responses.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
sorry i havent read all of hte link yet, did you try pulling the fuel bowl and cleanign it out? maybe its clogged somewhere... did you say 250 rpm for crank speed? thats borderline iirc. do you know any psd owners whos starter you can borrow for a few hours? bad computer?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry i havent read all of hte link yet, did you try pulling the fuel bowl and cleanign it out? maybe its clogged somewhere... did you say 250 rpm for crank speed? thats borderline iirc. do you know any psd owners whos starter you can borrow for a few hours? bad computer?
The crank speed is fine. I heard around here that 200rpm shown on the tach is normal. Has to breach 600 to start, right? When i did drain the fuel bowl, i let it out all the way...dunno if that's bad. There was so much crap in there, looked like someone was making a vinaigrette.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
thats a lot of crap. at this point i would think it couldnt hurt to pull the bowl out and clean it...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when the engine is cranking over...does the fuel bowl fill up?
Yes, took about 4-6 times to fill itself up and return the same kind of pressure. I did drain and refill it manually since the first time i drained. haven't checked psi yet will do today or in a few days when i can get to it. still runs on starter/brake cleaner for that short second or two. Man i'm frustrated as all hell...i still will put up the offer to register or send a little tip money to anyone that gets a diagnosis right to help me on the road. My skills are so that i probably could replace an hpop but damn i hope that's not it. remember it died within a block when at idle after a long day of driving. Would crank fine but not catch and has been dead since.

This is 1995 with a rebuilt engine with ??? miles (odo says 171 but has been tampered with). I may have to restart again on sunday because my woman is having issues 2 hrs away...driving the 02 mustang v6 (5sp of course). Boy, I grew up hating fords but compared to this thing that mustang is a honda! :icon_ford:

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
does anyone know how to check the hpop or the hpop pressure? i know you can check for oil through that hex bolt in the top.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
have you checked the idm module? if that goes the truck will just crank all day and not start.i think the only way to check that is to throw another one in.anyone you know have a 7.3? idms are known for getting water in them over time and failing,also is there any smoke when cranking?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
i would also check the hpop res.theres a hex type screw on the top that you can pop off and see if theres oil in it.it should be about an 1inch at the most from the top,refill if needed.kinda sounding like its not filling up with oil,no oil means no injector fire aka dead.let us know

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
K thx. No smoke of any color. IDM has no large amnts of liquid water, but you never know. Remember though this thing died at the tail end of a long drive AND not long after I switched over to the rear tank for the first time, and also with a water in fuel light.

Band busy in our studio so not a lot of time but again will report fuel psi and then hpop res. etc. Thx for your help so far.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Have you switched back to the front tank and tried that?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ever since it's been shut off it'a been back on the front tank. Should I switch it to the rear again? Was planning to drain both when i get this thing going again. (because I will, right?) :doh:

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
what gets me is whetehr or not you use front or rear tank, you cant get it to run with fresh diesel in the fuel bowl. at that point tanks dont matter.

my next step would be hpop oil check, and pressure after that. sounds to me like its not firing fuel at all, at first thought that tells me hpop or oil issue, or no fuel to the injectors, lastly computer. thats why i asked if you had cleaned out the bowl, possibly a cligged line after the filter? i know it sounds crazy but it could happen

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.