Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Lariat CC SRW with a Carli Pin Top 2.5 leveling kit with King shocks. (Absolutely the best kit I've ever seen and driven. Thank you Carli) I'd like to put some new wheels like Sota, Fuel, or Hostile with the possibility of 37 inch Toyo Open Country MT or RT. I'd like to run 20X10 on the wheels and 37X13.5 on the tires. I'd only like about two to three inches of the tires hanging out of the wheel wheels. Not looking for a super wide look but I'd like some dish on the wheels plus a nice and useful stance.

What is a real good set up with wheels. Why go 9 inch as apposed to 10 and are most of the guys running 37 as 12.5 or 13.5 What other tires are a good choice other than Toyo. I've had Cooper on my bronco but never got to use them as I sold it after putting the tires on. I drive 75% street with some good offroad, hunting, dunes and snow 25%

·
Premium Member
11,370 Posts
Wider wheels/wider tires equal a larger contact patch to the ground. This increases rolling resistance potentially effecting MPGs. After running newer Nitto EXOs and now Toyo RTs I wish I had stayed with Nitto. Just not happy with the RTs. I will be getting the Ridge Grapplers next time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you elaborate on the RT and what don't you like about them. I've had the RT on my dodge truck. I didn't like them on there because not real good in snow and terrible on the dunes. Just sunk in and spun. I really like the MT on my earlier Ford truck, but it comes with a certain roar that is a bit noisy.

·
Premium Member
10,345 Posts
Im not well versed with wheels but I grab a set of the BFGoorich all terrain ko2s last in 2015 almost 20k miles they have done real well in 115plus on pavement towing a 36ft 5th wheel in Sacramento CA and in -10 about an hour from Canada in North Idaho. they make a 37x12.5R17 is the biggest ive seen on their website. I have been impressed so far esp for the price. I think it was like $1050 an change out the door for 285/75r16s so the 37s are more but not nearly the tag of toyo mts etc.

I ran a few sets of the nitto terra grapplers and hated them. No traction on mud/snow but did ok on pavement and towing. just my experience for the nitto at tires. no experience with their rt/mt type tires.

Too complicate stuff more my Dad swears by cooper stt max tires lol.

bfgoodrich, nitto, toyo, falken, cooper, dean, Hercules, mastercraft, kumho, Michelin, are tires I have used on trucks and enjoyed them. Only issues I had was with some Michelins and kumhos on gas vehicles. It was one time a few years ago too and they warrantied them out.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Toyo MTs are the best, RTs are close

Nitto Ridge Grapplers and EXO Grapplers are awesome tires too

I've had them all and have been very pleased.

Toyo MTs are in my opinion the best tire you can buy but there are also great alternatives I listed above.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
I'm very happy with my Ridge Grapplers

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,370 Posts
RT's seem to have been hard to get balanced correctly. Maybe it was some attention to detail at the shop but they just seemed to be SO touchy with the roads where I live. Nitto EXOs never had that issue although it was a different sized wheel/tire combo.

In the end the RTs run out just fine now after getting them balanced checked at least twice since new.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Following this to see what you end up with as my Carli kit is on its way. Carli really pushes the 18” wheels that are 9” wide for ride comfort/quality. I’ll probably end up with what they advise and 12.5x35 as I’m not interested in cutting into a $100k truck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Following this to see what you end up with as my Carli kit is on its way. Carli really pushes the 18” wheels that are 9” wide for ride comfort/quality. I’ll probably end up with what they advise and 12.5x35 as I’m not interested in cutting into a $100k truck.
You're gonna love your carli set up. If you get at least the 2.5 leveling kit, they say you'll be able to run 37's without any trimming. I'm gonna look at the 35's but feel they will look small on these new trucks.

I'm really trying to find out that of the guys running 37inch tires, are you running 12.50 or 13.50. What are the draw backs if any running 13.5

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're gonna love your carli set up. If you get at least the 2.5 leveling kit, they say you'll be able to run 37's without any trimming. I'm gonna look at the 35's but feel they will look small on these new trucks.

I'm really trying to find out that of the guys running 37inch tires, are you running 12.50 or 13.50. What are the draw backs if any running 13.5

I just spoke with Kacey at Carli and he did tell me the same as above. I thought someone there was telling me running a 37 without trimming wasn't an issue. I stand corrected. With the leveling kit, they do recommend 35's with an 18 inch wheel with 5.5 to 5 /34 backspacing. It just seems that the 35s look small on that truck. My tire shop will try the 35's and 37's on my truck so I'll give it a try

·
Premium Member
11,370 Posts
Don't forget Carli show guys think/drive only in hardcore off-road full suspension travel situations. :grin::grin:

Your street crawling will handle 37's just fine....:laugh2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just spoke with Kacey at Carli and he did tell me the same as above. I thought someone there was telling me running a 37 without trimming wasn't an issue. I stand corrected. With the leveling kit, they do recommend 35's with an 18 inch wheel with 5.5 to 5 /34 backspacing. It just seems that the 35s look small on that truck. My tire shop will try the 35's and 37's on my truck so I'll give it a try
So I put that same leveling kit in my 350 back in September when I bought it b4 thy put the plow on it, looking into wheels now I was in the same boat. I want 18s or 20s with 35’s. Question is do they fit without rubbing and what offset can I use to get that nice wide stance?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I put that same leveling kit in my 350 back in September when I bought it b4 thy put the plow on it, looking into wheels now I was in the same boat. I want 18s or 20s with 35’s. Question is do they fit without rubbing and what offset can I use to get that nice wide stance?
I know this is an old thread, but where did you land on this? Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts