Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So my new wheels showed up this am and there is a problem. They are KMC Revolvers (Black) in 18x9. Look great and Im excited! Problem is, the center caps are solid and I have manual front lockers! And to make things worse, KMC does not make open center caps for this wheel. So, this might be a long shot but has anyone ever taken a hole saw to a set of these or something simular?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I just left my center cap off on my front wheels and it fits and looks good... dunno if that helps...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got a pic?

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Didn't you tell them you had a 4x4? I have a set of KMC wheels ( Slammers) and my caps are all seperate.

NCH

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, my caps are separate but I have manual lockers and the center caps have no holes. They look alright without the caps but its not the same. With the caps on the back wheels, they gotta go on the fronts as well for me. Well, I guess out comes the 4 inch-ish hole saw.......lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have had to cut holes in center caps before. It's no big deal. Lets see some pics when your done.:nod:

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Oh I see what you are talking about. You aren't suppose to use the center caps with a 4x4. I thought mine looked terrible, and I didn't want to chance taking a hole saw to a expensive center cap, besides I don't think just cutting a hole in the center cap is going to look much better. Here is what I did and it has worked awesome!! Mount the wheels without center caps on. On my center caps they inserted from behind and had three or four little flanges that would keep the cap from passing all the way through. I cut these off and smoothed the edges. Then I took 1/2" strips of good duct tape and started wrapping the bottom edge, but a couple layers on and insert it from the outside pushing it in towards the hub, if it is too loose put another layer or two. You want a good snug fit. I have the ESOF system and keep it working properly so I have never had to use the manual lock outs, if I ever need to, all I have to do is grab the center cap and give it a wiggle or two and it pulls right off. The guys at the tire shop thought it looked pretty slick. This has worked for me so I thought I would pass it along.

NCH

·
Registered
738 Posts
leave the centers off and paint your hubs black...It will look tuff..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Cut em'...I ordered my wheels and tires and they showed up with solid centers, As soon as i saw this i called discount and they put the correct ones in the mail.In the meantime my buddy was getting his tires and they came with solid too.Well mine are kinda contoured to match the wheels and the new ones were smooth so i passed the open ones on to him and rotozipped mine with an open circle in the middle.Works great:)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh I see what you are talking about. You aren't suppose to use the center caps with a 4x4. I thought mine looked terrible, and I didn't want to chance taking a hole saw to a expensive center cap, besides I don't think just cutting a hole in the center cap is going to look much better. Here is what I did and it has worked awesome!! Mount the wheels without center caps on. On my center caps they inserted from behind and had three or four little flanges that would keep the cap from passing all the way through. I cut these off and smoothed the edges. Then I took 1/2" strips of good duct tape and started wrapping the bottom edge, but a couple layers on and insert it from the outside pushing it in towards the hub, if it is too loose put another layer or two. You want a good snug fit. I have the ESOF system and keep it working properly so I have never had to use the manual lock outs, if I ever need to, all I have to do is grab the center cap and give it a wiggle or two and it pulls right off. The guys at the tire shop thought it looked pretty slick. This has worked for me so I thought I would pass it along.

NCH
Damn thats a hell of an idea! Guess my front center caps will be going back on!! WOOHOO!! Thanks!!

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Damn thats a hell of an idea! Guess my front center caps will be going back on!! WOOHOO!! Thanks!!
It worked for me and it looks awesome!! You also don't have all the crud getting into the hub lever, so it does double duty!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts