Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 99 F-250 7.3 i have the k&n intake, 4" turbo back strait exhaust, banks bighead wastegate actuator, and a DP tuner but i was noticing some wierd issues with the chip. Like a strange lope to the motor at idle and some strange down shifts so i got a SCT tuner and unpluged my DP and the problems went away could you stack those chips?

·
Registered
243 Posts
theres nothing wrong with the dp tuner, mine does the same thing on downshifts, do u have the lope idle tune by chance?

·
Registered
243 Posts
O yea u cant stack chips on these trucks either!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know exactly what i have i just know what the previous owner told me that it has the settings like this.
1-Stock
2-40
3-60
4-80
5-80 economy
6- 120
7- 140 agressive

But i feel like i gained more power with the SCT but both programmers have the feeling that i have alot more power then is getting ot the rear wheels and the local diesel shop says that my torque converter might be going out but the truck only has 68,000 miles on it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
it could be going out depending on how the previous owner treated the truck and if he kept his foot in it at level seven the whole time.

·
Registered
243 Posts
may be the TC then.... might try driving on stock level and see how it drives...

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I just purchased a 99 F-250 7.3 i have the k&n intake, 4" turbo back strait exhaust, banks bighead wastegate actuator, and a DP tuner but i was noticing some wierd issues with the chip. Like a strange lope to the motor at idle and some strange down shifts so i got a SCT tuner and unpluged my DP and the problems went away could you stack those chips?
From what you are saying it sounds like the IPR or ICP sensor may be bad. Have you checked for any codes with the SCT? Jody is asking for the max in your tuning, so you may be noticing that over what has been done in the tuning of the SCT and stock. Because he is asking for the max, no stacking of chips and ICP mods are necessary with his tunes. The downshifting is a part of Jody's standard tunes. If you don't like it he can remove it. :thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The other thing i noticed when i run just the DP is when the truck shift gears it falls flat on its face it blows off all the boost. When i took the DP off and installed the SCT it took that problem away that was the reason for the big head wastegate actuator maybe i need to get DP to flash the chip and make sure its right. It was on the truck when i bought it and the boy that had it didnt seem to know what he was doing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also the realy bad lope that i had with the DP it did it on every setting so i dont know like I said Im new to the whole diesel thing

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
The other thing i noticed when i run just the DP is when the truck shift gears it falls flat on its face it blows off all the boost. When i took the DP off and installed the SCT it took that problem away that was the reason for the big head wastegate actuator maybe i need to get DP to flash the chip and make sure its right. It was on the truck when i bought it and the boy that had it didnt seem to know what he was doing.
Check the map line to see if anything is installed for preventing overboosting. I doubt there is. What is happenign is when you go over 21 psi of boost(which you should in the 80e) the check engine light will come on for overboost code and the truck will defuel. Like I said, Jody is asking for the max in his tuning. The SCT may not be. Depends on how it was set up.

If you want Jody to check out the tunes send it in to us and he'll check them out. :thumb:

Diane

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Also the realy bad lope that i had with the DP it did it on every setting so i dont know like I said Im new to the whole diesel thing
This is not normal. You need to either check the ICP sensor, IPR sensor or the CPS.

I would check all this out and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do i need to do to get my dp chip checked and should i get some better tunes? Im not realy towing but i do want to go fast haha

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
What do i need to do to get my dp chip checked and should i get some better tunes? Im not realy towing but i do want to go fast haha
Click on the link in my signature. Go to the contact page and send it to that address.

First thing I would do is scan for codes and fix anything that needs to be fixed. If there is something going on updates to the tunes won't fix them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do notice that with dp set on the higher programs when im just cruizing and go to pass someone the motor seems to load up and dump black smoke but not go anywhere untill i realy get on the gas? Is this normal?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts