Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck info: 2006 F250 FX4 6.0L with 28k on motor (studded, egr delete, ARP Mains, etc). SCT Livewire 50+ tune. 5" straight pipe.

So I recently installed a brand new Stock replacement turbo as well as a XDP Y-pipe. After doing this work to the truck I now have two small issues that have arisen that I do not think were present before.

Issue 1: Under normal driving conditions if I accelerate at a regular rate to 30-40mph and let off, in addition to the normal let-off flutter that I usually had, I now have a really faint growling. It almost sounds like the body mounts creaking. Is this something that I am just imagining or noticing now? Could something be vibrating against something else creating a noise like this?

Issue 2: *Not sure if this is related to issue 1 or not* Under hard acceleration (like climbing a hill) I have good power until about 2500-3000rpm where a very slight surging starts. The surging will happen for about 2-5 seconds then I loose boost and the exhaust tone changes like its dropping the turbo but the surging stops and I get power again. This seems like a map sensor thing to me but I have also heard that a bad exhaust back pressure sensor can cause this as well.

Other than these two things the truck runs great and makes power fine unless I create these conditions. All temperatures, pressures, and fluids are normal. I am building boost healthily until the surging happens which is why I suspect map sensor and not an intake leak. These issues are present on any of my tunes as well as when I return it to stock configuration. I do think I have a severely warped and possibly cracked rear rotor but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with these issues, I am biding my time on repairing that until I get everything else working as it should.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Issue #1 - check your downpipe for rubbing against the firewall/up pipe and check your exhaust pipe where it goes above the trans cross member - BOTH of those spots are super tight and a little engine torque and/or movement and you could rub...especially with an aftermarket exhaust. And, unless you're HARD into the throttle and let off instantly, you shouldn't be getting any sort of flutter from your turbo...

Issue #2 - gonna need more info and values to rule things out - more specifically EBP/MAP/BARO/VGT% KOEO and when problem occurs.

-jokester

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check for rubbing. I have always gotten flutter on this truck if it gets over 20psi boost when driving and when I let off cold. If I ease off it doesn't do it. It doesn't ever do it if my foot is on the throttle or when accelerating. What sensor controls when the flutter happens?

I will try to get those values. I have a CST Insight so I should be able to get all that. I will have to figure out how the data logging function works. If not that I also have a BlueDriver Scan tool that does live data logging so I could use that too. It really doesn't feel like a fuel issue because it doesn't like completely stutter or loose power it just kind of surges. The last time it occurred to me was driving back to work from lunch today and I had it on the SCT Trans only tune. I switched it from that one to the 50+ tune to see if maybe the tune is causing the issue. If it still does it in the 50+ I will change it back to bone stock and see if it still does it. I have noticed that the turbo fluttering happens more or less depending on which tune I have installed.

A buddy of mine suggested to change out the fuel filters to rule those out as a causation. I have not changed those since I got the truck and I do not know when they were last changed. Its entirely possible they have 28k on them.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
A buddy of mine suggested to change out the fuel filters to rule those out as a causation. I have not changed those since I got the truck and I do not know when they were last changed. Its entirely possible they have 28k on them.
Uhhhh...yeah, I do believe it's time to change them! Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

-jokester

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uhhhh...yeah, I do believe it's time to change them! Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

-jokester
I do not. Would clogging fuel filters cause symptoms like I am having though? I would imagine they would have a bypass for if they are too restrictive like most oil filters do.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so after changing the tune back to the 50+ I have not been able to get it to do it again. I haven't taken any live data but sitting at idle at 158F EOT I have ICP V 0.9, BARO 14.2, and VGT% 82.1 at 0 PSI boost, and EBP was reading 2psi.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
I did find this plug not plugged into anything. I'm guessing this is something to do with EGR maybe?
Yup - EGR connector.

Your idle numbers look normal - add MAP in there and compare MAP, BARO, EBP KOEO - all should be with .5 PSI of each other (~14.7 depending on how close to sea level you are). As you might already know, EBP doesn't read correctly sometimes on the SCT devices, so be aware of that if you get some funky numbers. Make sure you're paying attention to those PIDs when the issues happens.

A fuel pressure sensor on these trucks is a must. Very easy to rule out fuel-related issues with a quick glance at the pressure. As far as the fuel filter bypass...not sure about that one. However, let's look at it this way - even if it DID have a bypass, you're probably not gonna be flowing 100% AND without fuel being filtered, that opens up a whole new can or worms which will lead to other issues eventually. Get those filters changed and then test again with the same tune you're running now that you're not having issues with. If that's good, switch back to the tune that was having problems and restest.

-jokester

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
I do not. Would clogging fuel filters cause symptoms like I am having though? I would imagine they would have a bypass for if they are too restrictive like most oil filters do.
Fuel filters do not have a bypass function -- that would be real bad for injectors if they did

and ...yes, low fuel pressure can cause engine flutter, among other oddities

you need a gauge and thread adapter or one of those tapped filter caps to test fuel pressure

·
Super Moderator
12,752 Posts
I did find this plug not plugged into anything. I'm guessing this is something to do with EGR maybe?
Not the EGR connector, that connector is oval....the only round connector like that should be the connection for the fan. Will be on the top of the fan stator/shroud, just in front and to the right of the intake elbow.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Not the EGR connector, that connector is oval....the only round connector like that should be the connection for the fan. Will be on the top of the fan stator/shroud, just in front and to the right of the intake elbow.

Dang...i'm getting old. I swear that wasn't oval the first time I looked at the picture LOL

-jokester

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

It doesn't look like I have that connector on my fan? Is it underneath all the plastic or something? I took a look last night and I could not find where its supposed to go. I didn't have time to pull anything off to see if it was underneath though.

·
Super Moderator
12,752 Posts
It shouldn't be under any plastic or anything like that. Beings as it sounds like this may be a new truck (to you), maybe it has the mechanical fan clutch conversion and that's why the pigtail was tucked back as far as it was?

Kinda got off the rails a bit on helping your driveability issue but solving one mystery at a time right? lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It shouldn't be under any plastic or anything like that. Beings as it sounds like this may be a new truck (to you), maybe it has the mechanical fan clutch conversion and that's why the pigtail was tucked back as far as it was?

Kinda got off the rails a bit on helping your driveability issue but solving one mystery at a time right? lol
"Off the rails" is probably a good name for this truck for how things have gone since I bought it... $1000 in new parts in a very short period of time. I'm just doing everything I can to get it ready for riding season when I am going to be taking it on long hauls every weekend. Still glad I bought this and not a EPA neutered truck for 3x the amount I spent on this good ol girl. I can spend $1000 a year on parts for this thing and still come out ahead.

So it sounds like I have that mechanical fan conversion then so that is good I guess. I think I have the surging issue figured out, changing the tune seemed to fix it. I am still going to change out the fuel filters to make sure that does not become an issue. An oil change is in the near future as well. I still have to fix my super warped rear rotors too before riding season, right now the rear end about jumps up and down when I'm stopping since they're warped so badly.

As far as the growling/vibrating let off noise I guess I will just go over anything that could be vibrating against the cab and see if I can find it. Could a growling/vibrating noise happen if my cab bolt isolators are failing too? I have replaced the rear ones but I have not done the front ones yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts