Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an S400 for a compound turbo setup and it came in last night. I owned the box to check it out and it seems like there is alot of shaft play. Its a brand new turbo, so does this go away after a few heat cycles and breakin? Im getting in a bind for time, so I dont want to find out when its too late that I have to send it back. Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
if your talkin bout a 6.0 then yes,shaft play is normal,it builds pressure when its runnin and oil takes the play outta there,on the 7.3 theres a lil movment but thats normal also,just as long as it aint rubbin the walls

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if your talkin bout a 6.0 then yes,shaft play is normal,it builds pressure when its runnin and oil takes the play outta there,on the 7.3 theres a lil movment but thats normal also,just as long as it aint rubbin the walls
Interesting.... Im pretty sure the engine type has nothing to do with the turbo, other than how its going to spool. The truck is a factory 7.3 but we are doing a Cummins 12v swap.

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
Does it spin freely in there without hitting walls? If yes I'd say its good. Good luck on the swap, I'd love to swap mine to a 12v

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, its spins freely without making any contact. However, if I try to wiggle it side to side, it definitely has movement and would be VERY close to touching...

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
Well its supose to be very very close to the housings. maybe PM a mod and see what they say to make sure

·
Registered
240 Posts
yes any turbo will have a slight bit of play in it when its a journal bearing turbo. the oil film will take of the slack once its pressurized. i always prime oil systems with new or used turbos before firing a motor. even cranking w/o firing will get oil in there and keep it safe

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes any turbo will have a slight bit of play in it when its a journal bearing turbo. the oil film will take of the slack once its pressurized. i always prime oil systems with new or used turbos before firing a motor. even cranking w/o firing will get oil in there and keep it safe
Awesome, thanks for the help! I figured it was a breakin or oil deal since its a new, not even a reman. But wanted to make sure before we go building a set of twins and end up tearing something up. Thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts