Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
k well i got a banks turbine housing, compressor wheel, and a big head wastegate. and i was talking to my buddy about them and he said that he is going to be selling his turbo cause he is putting twins on. i dont know wat turbo it is but i know its a garrett(sry for spelling). can find out soon.

he says he is pushing like 45lbs boost with stage 3 injectors, regulated fuel system, and i think he had internal work done on the heads and stuff and he lowered his compression.

so if i get his turbo will i have to do head studs or can i adjust the wastegate actuator to blow off at like 35lbs???

and if i do get this turbo what other mods would i have to do(mods in my sig)?? i know i will have to ditch my stock straight piped exhaust for a 4in exhaust but wat else???

thanx for the help james

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I wouldn't run and boost over 40. That's pushing it. I would think about injectors, stage 1 or 2's should work with stock hpop. Depending on which injectors you choose. But if he stage 3's push the turbo to 45 psi, you might not see that much with stock ones...

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
First you need to find out what turbo he has. Garrett turbos are stock for Powerstrokes. So if he has been running a stock turbo at that amount of boost I would not buy it.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Probably a 38R if he's pushing 45psi with stage 3's.

It's a good turbo... it'll work fine with your stock injectors on up to your stage 3's as long as they're not over tuned.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know its not the stock turbo. his truck was dyno at 450 HP and i forgot how much torque. what do u mean by over tuned??

injectors might be in the near future if i get off my lazy *** and work alittle but i think a 4in lift with some meaty tires is before the injectors.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Well stage 3's are VERY capable injectors... 500+ has been done on them with fuel only.

As long as you keep your PSI below 40 your studs and gaskets should be fine.

I'm only pushing about 31 psi with my TN bb and making over 400 rwhp... this is a detuned setting and it's capable enough to beat most custom tuned 6.0's, especially from a roll.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so if i got this turbo and had the wastegate set for around 40ish PSI, with a 4in exhaust

what would be the power and torque gains i would see??

would the bigger turbo get better or worst fuel mileage??

what would happen to my EGT's??

and how much better would the full turbo be over the banks housing, compressor wheel, and wastegate that i have??

sorry for all the questions

thanx for the quick responses,
james

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
You will need studs!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
You will not make anymore boost then you are now with the 38r... Fuel makes boost, not the turbo you are running. Hell you could even go down in boost. With stock injectors and a 38r I was hitting 30# boost... With stage 2's and a 38r I was at 35-37... Stage 3 hybrids was seeing 40-45 with a TN BB...

Studs are not needed until you get to the 38-40 range... some have blown at 30 but for the most part you are safe to 40#'s

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but from my understanding boost numbers dont always mean power. if u got a bigger turbo that will flow more air and spool up faster u can make more power with the same boost numbers as the stock. but i talked to my buddy and i think im going to just got with the banks turbo parts.

·
Registered
511 Posts
You will not make anymore boost then you are now with the 38r... Fuel makes boost, not the turbo you are running. Hell you could even go down in boost. With stock injectors and a 38r I was hitting 30# boost... With stage 2's and a 38r I was at 35-37... Stage 3 hybrids was seeing 40-45 with a TN BB...

Studs are not needed until you get to the 38-40 range... some have blown at 30 but for the most part you are safe to 40#'s
I never owned a 38r but going from stock charger to H2E I noticed mid 20's to high 30's.

...but i talked to my buddy and i think im going to just got with the banks turbo parts.
Say what Willis? You ditchin the Banks junk or keeping it?

·
Registered
497 Posts
but from my understanding boost numbers dont always mean power. if u got a bigger turbo that will flow more air and spool up faster u can make more power with the same boost numbers as the stock. but i talked to my buddy and i think im going to just got with the banks turbo parts.

Now why would u do that??? just buy a BB drop in turbo and be done with it. Dont waste your money on that Banks stuff. You will be happier if u go with the BB turbo

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts
As Diezel Dawg said if you can swing the BB Turbo either the 38R or the TN BB you will be glad you did that way your ready for injectors and other mods

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i got the banks stuff for free and i would have to give them back if i didnt use them. so i would be spending 600 on a turbo and he was having problems with the wastegate actuator were it would blow off at like 25 psi no matter how it was adjusted.

i have no money right now so im just going to go with the banks stuff

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
On stock injectors I went from making 27-28 psi of boost on the stock turbo to about 24-25 with the TN BB. There was a slight bit a lag but not much and it pulled top end much smoother and harder.

Add the fuel and it hits hard... the first 5 psi are still slow to get up to from a dead stop, but once it's beyond that it hits 31ish hard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts