Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has an 04 f-350 dually manual 4x4 longbed with ARP's and BPD 6phase FICM. 60,000 miles. It is a Weekend driver and hauls a big cab over camper for vacations.

I suggested that there are these 3 options for tubos/upgrades...

PMax + Wheel. (All know of is the Batmowheel, any others???)

Stock + wicked wheel or Batmowheel.

MTW Stage 1.

His biggest concern is warranty and reliability.

2nd is spool improvement over stock which the OEM +wheel and MTW stage 1 will do..

The reason why I suggested the PMAX is because it is a 100% new turbo which should lead to better reliability.

Which route should he go and what warranties are out there?

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
I vote MTW stage 1

MTW is supposed to start using new center sections so it is basically a new turbo! The stage 1 spools faster than stock and a pmax and will be cheaper.

or a single plane replacement wheel for your turbo

NO WAY FOR THE BATMOWHEEL!!! there has been much research done that with stock sticks it actually makes the truck run worse

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Yea Steve, I say either a Pmax with our billet wheel (same wheel used in the Stage 1 and is NOT a batmowheel) OR a Stage 1. Either one with the right tuning should spool really well and be all he needs for towing. I agree with you that the new turbo center section should last longer but Adrian does warranty his turbos for a year too just like the Powermax. Either one should work good.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I highly doubt he will get tuning any time this year. If he does, he wants to get an FICM tune form PHP.
most likely atlas 40 because he wants the best reliability and MPG, and im guessing atlas 80 would decrease those 2 aspects....

It seems like the stock turbo + wicked wheel 2 and MTW stage 1 are in comparison...

I think the PMAX + wicked wheel 2 or Batmowheel will be too big to spool up for his manual tanny

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
If he's not going to do any tuning changes specific to the turbo, then he should either do a billet wheel for his stock turbo (PM me if you'd like info on ours vs "WW2") or he should do a Stage 1 as that too seems to run just fine on stock tuning.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If he's not going to do any tuning changes specific to the turbo, then he should either do a billet wheel for his stock turbo (PM me if you'd like info on ours vs "WW2") or he should do a Stage 1 as that too seems to run just fine on stock tuning.
X2 on this. Also going to Barder on my next turbo upgrade since I'm running non vgt

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
I recommend stock turbo with a billet wheel, based on how you use the trucka nd waht your goals are. Anything besides the batmowheel. With stock injectors, you don't have the fuel to realize any usable performance gains by going to a larger turbo over a simple billet wheel upgrade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts