Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2006 F250 6.0L. Just got my SCT programmer in and read the computer VIN, and it matches a 2007 F250 6.0L, not mine. I am not throwing a VIN mismatch code, so the truck thinks it is normal.

Previous owner said he did replace the FICM. Is this the cause possibly? Should I look into getting it reprogrammed to my VIN? I can't find much info on this issue, and any help is greatly appreciated. Of course, the previous owner is quite difficult to get ahold of....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Does your title match the vin in the window of your truck or does it match the scanner vin?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Title matches the window VIN. That's why I didn't catch it until after I bought it. The VIN the scanner sees was a surprise.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I suppose it's a non issue?

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
Non issue due to the FICM replacement. The FICM is either used or has a tune on it

Reactions: jmhirshorn

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I figured, just wanted to make sure before I lock my SCT to it. It is definitely used. I can pull up the window sticker for the actual truck under that VIN. I will rock on with it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
Its not a PCM replacement. Its an FICM replacement or tune

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I have replaced FICM's before without reprogramming, but the SCT still displayed the correct truck's VIN as it takes the VIN off of the PCM (the one it's programming)

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
JM post the VIN

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I'm curious what the VIN is going to tell you :confused:

when you look up vehicle info on the SCT, it displays the PCM/TCM VIN and strategy

to my knowledge, the SCT has no way to even communicate with the FICM

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
The VIN for one is going to tell me the model year. And OASIS will tell me whats been done at ford.

And as to a PCM replacement the only way that would work with a used one is if it came out of an EXACTLY identical truck.

Otherwise the PCM would have had to have been reporgrammed at ford

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
why on earth would Ford replace a PCM with a used one with a different VIN? :confused:

And no, 6.0 pickups do not have a PATS system. You can get one out of of a similar truck (06/07 use the same PCM) and it will work just fine.

I would just take it to Ford or a shop with an IDS, do an as-built flash on the truck, and move on

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The VIN for one is going to tell me the model year. And OASIS will tell me whats been done at ford.
Dave: Here is my VIN: 1FTSW21P06EC81193

If you are going to pull an OASIS, I would be very interested in seeing it!

Thanks for all the input thus far!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
It's not going to show a FICM or PCM replacement while the previous owner had it because they would have actually programmed them correctly.

It sounds like somebody threw some junkyard parts at it.

We already know the model year, it's an '06.

Get your head out of the dealership mentality and take a look at what's actually going on here.

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
My heads not in the dealership mentality. My head is in whats going on here.

Hence why I asked if there was a PCM reprogramming done. PATS is irrelevant

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't be sure if a PCM programming was done, or if just the FICM was replaced, or both the FICM and the PCM. As I am combing through the truck, I am finding little corners cut here and there. I have a bunch of parts on order to bring the truck back up to standards. I mean, the guy put epoxy on the Fuel/Water separator drain plug...who does that?

My big concern is the VIN's not matching, and whether or not I should be concerned at all. I'd hate to lock the SCT to this other VIN, only to find out I need to get the trucked reprogrammed to matching VINs. Is there something I can look at to figure this out, or can only a dealer, or someone with IDS, can figure out? Interested in what the Oasis has to say, if anything.

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
Reading comprehension. PATS is irrelevant because its a 6.0 superduty and not an excursion:doh:

His issue is nothing more than one of 2 things. A) either the FICM was swapped or B) The FICM was programmed by either PHP or IDP.

Wanna know the easy way to find out. Use the X3 to pull the FICM strategy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts