Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my uncle is selling me his 99 f350 PSD for 4k. Is red, short bed, 4 door, 4x4, leather , etc. But is has 290 k. Tranny was rebuilt about 20 k ago, but front end sucks. The steering wheel is off kilter by about 30 degrees, pulls real hard when breaking, steering is really loose and it clunks and pops in the front end. I can feel it in my feet. So I need to know what all needs to be done to fix this. Also what other things should I address so it will last several more hundred thousand miles. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
19,509 Posts
You should probably check your ball joints, the pitman arm and all the tie rod ends. The steering box might be worn out too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya. I figured I would just replace all the joints and bushings in the front. Was also reading about a dual stabilizer. Do they make a big difference, and is there a thread around on how to rebuold steering box? And how to I get steering wheel back to normal?

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
Duals don't make a big difference until you start running large tires. I don't know if there's a thread regarding steering box rebuild, have you tried searching? An alignment after you replace bushings and bearings is your best bet to correct your steering wheel.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I finally started to look at front end. It's seems that there are u joints connected to wheels. What are those? Never seen before . New to me

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think a dual setup will help you. I replaced my stock stabilizer with a unit from Procomp and it helped, but I only have 122K. Try having your wheel balance and fronte end alignment checked too. Sounds like you have a few other things going on as well, but those might help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts