Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Long Winded Post :)
So my trusty 02 F350 CC 7.3L finally gave up the ghost on me. Owned for 17 years. Only 157k miles. The story of it letting me down....fully loaded w/trailer....Family....Dumb *** dog....leaving to get out of dodge and crazy town before Easter weekend, is like a bad country song. So here I am now with a new (to me) 2006 F350 CC SWB 4X4 6.0L. It has 107K miles and is completely stock other some nice Ford wheels. Being a long time 7.3 owner I was not up to speed on the depth of 6.0 bullet proofing. So here goes what I am doing. Going into the shop on May 27.

A few minor things I am doing before she goes under the knife.
-08 Mirrors from (1Aauto)
-Complete LED bulb upgrade inside/out (superbrightled's)
-Spyder projector headlight upgrade (CarID)
-Mishimoto Led's and HID's for headlights (retrofitsource)
-Weathertech mats (Weathertech)
-Battery/Charging system wiring upgrade (custombatterycables)
-Ford factory upfitter switch install (mine only had brake controller)

My shop was ordering some of the parts and I ordered the rest, Where the shop ordered...I left vendor blank
  • AFE Magnum Force CAI (CarID)
  • BPD Waterpump and Square EGR cooler (BPD)
  • ARP Studs
  • New Ford Injectors (stock) w/all harnesses etc.
    • Standpipe dummy plugs
    • glow plugs
    • oil cooler
    • filters
    • LP oil pump cover/gears
    • updated snap to fitting
  • Rudy's up pipe kit & Exhaust manifolds (Rudysdiesel)
  • Ti exhaust manifold studs (Speedfactory)
  • Sinister oil filter/coolant filter kit (Sinister)
  • Banks High-Ram intercooler kit W/intake elbow and boost tubes (XDP)
  • 5" single MBRP Exhaust (mbrpexhauststore)
  • Edge Insight CTS3 (XDP)
  • SCT 7015 X4 w/gearhead tunes (ghtuning)
  • Driven Diesel Fuel bowl delete/ regulated return
The shop is going to go through the engine top to bottom pretty much. Doing heads, o-ring, reseal bed plate. Flush ALL fluids front to back. The truck has a new stock turbo from previous owner. This is where I ran out of moola$ :)

A few things I had to take off of my wish list for now. But will be the next in line to do.
  • KC stage 2 turbo
  • Upgraded FICM w/php tunes
  • AirDog lift pump and sump kit
  • Mishimoto Radiator
Will also be adding a Carli 4.5" lift and 35's as soon as my current tires need replaced, they are new. I am also really liking the hammerhead low profile bumper with prerunner bar. I might need to get some more protection up front sooner rather then later. I am brand new to the 6.0L world so I would welcome any comments suggestions? The truck actually doesn't have a single (knock on wood) problem right now. I just want to try and address as much as I can before it breaks and leaves me stranded and try to get as reliable as I can. My 7.3 was an absolute workhorse and my baby...and never had any problems with her until I did 馃槓

Truck was 17k off a dealer lot just FYI

What ya think?

Erik
You can see my 'dead' 7.3 in the background :(

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Mirrors went on today. They are pretty sweet IMHO. Fit is amazing. Really nice upgrade mirror. Not only do they look sweet, but the view behind you is such an upgrade over my stock mirrors.

Erik

Registered
X2 on the mishimoto radiator...also if you are going to stay with stock injectors I recommend going with the kc stg1...i had the kc stg1. It was great. Throttle response was there and it did great towing....I upgraded to the kc stg 2 and it is a hair more laggy but nothing crazy. The only thing i didnt like was the towing part. It felt more sluggish and egts got hotter. Thats my fault cuz they clearly say it on the website what they recommend. Top notch customer service tho

Registered
I had the KC stage 2 turbo on my stock fuel system and I had no troubles with it. Like you said it was slightly more laggy than the stock one but I never saw problems with mine even towing, and when I was towing it was always very heavy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I had the KC stage 2 turbo on my stock fuel system and I had no troubles with it. Like you said it was slightly more laggy than the stock one but I never saw problems with mine even towing, and when I was towing it was always very heavy.
Is good to hear. The shop really was pushing for the stage 2, from the reading I have done here I was kind of on the fence over the 1.5 or 2. I tow often and didn't want to introduce any issues from the turbo. I plan on staying with stock sticks but upgrading fuel (air dog lift pump and regulated return). Also a little concerned on the noise of the stage 2. Coming from a built 7.3 and jumping into my stock 6.0......OMG it is so quiet. I like turbo whistle but I don't need the family or neighbors thinking there is a run way out front. Did I read that you can put the 13 blade wheel on the stage 2 and it is more quiet than the 10 with close to the same performance?

Erik

Registered
I had 4in exhaust but it had some sort of a muffler on it. It was a Silverline exhaust and the whistle was there but it wouldn't wake my family when I would leave at 4 am. You know what you're looking for so just go with what you feel on the sound. I liked mine all around.

The only thing I would recommend also is if you have the stock intercooler that you get an upgraded one with metal tanks I believe. I blew my stock one after having the Stage 2.

Super Moderator
Is good to hear. The shop really was pushing for the stage 2, from the reading I have done here I was kind of on the fence over the 1.5 or 2. I tow often and didn't want to introduce any issues from the turbo. I plan on staying with stock sticks but upgrading fuel (air dog lift pump and regulated return). Also a little concerned on the noise of the stage 2. Coming from a built 7.3 and jumping into my stock 6.0......OMG it is so quiet. I like turbo whistle but I don't need the family or neighbors thinking there is a run way out front. Did I read that you can put the 13 blade wheel on the stage 2 and it is more quiet than the 10 with close to the same performance?

Erik
I've run both and if you're on the fence and am going to stay stock on the injectors, tow heavy, not looking for full WOT power (like to race or sled pull) and if you DON'T want the whistle.....you're going to be happier with a stage 1.5 than a 2 IMO....especially if then you first start trying to bastardize the 2 to make it be quieter. The performance just isn't the same. The KC 1.5 was the fastest spooling, best "normal-driving" turbo I ever ran and would highly, highly recommend that to fit your needs. The S2 will do you well too and isn't going to cause an issue, but if you're not spending much time above 3300RPMs I bet you'll like the 1.5 better. Food for thought.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I've run both and if you're on the fence and am going to stay stock on the injectors, tow heavy, not looking for full WOT power (like to race or sled pull) and if you DON'T want the whistle.....you're going to be happier with a stage 1.5 than a 2 IMO....especially if then you first start trying to bastardize the 2 to make it be quieter. The performance just isn't the same. The KC 1.5 was the fastest spooling, best "normal-driving" turbo I ever ran and would highly, highly recommend that to fit your needs. The S2 will do you well too and isn't going to cause an issue, but if you're not spending much time above 3300RPMs I bet you'll like the 1.5 better. Food for thought.
Thanks. That is the way I am leaning now. What鈥檚 funny is I called KC...they recommended the S1. 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
First trip this weekend. What a different experience compared to my 7.3 w/4r100. Besides being stock and wishing I had more power. Truck was great.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
What size trailer is that?
Tell us what's in the boxes!
Trailer is a 32.5 model. Close to 37 tip to tail. Lots of fun stuff. Today I had waiting for me my Rudy鈥檚 manifolds and my custom battery cables. Just about everything I listed in the first post is here taking up space in my garage. 馃榿 Having an issue getting the Edge Insight CTS3. Pretty much the last thing I am waiting on.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Dropped the truck off this afternoon. Going under the knife to get a boat load of work done. Some amazing fellas down at the Torque Factory in Redmond, Oregon will be doing the work. They update their social media stuff pretty often and I am sure there will be a ton of pictures there. Torque Factory on FB and TorqueFactory101 on IG. That was a shameless plug because the Team down there has been amazing to work with, especially putting up with a 6.0 newb and educating me along the way. Truck just rolled over 108k miles. I cant wait. :)

Cab off.
  • ARP Studs
  • Machine heads and deck
  • O-ring heads
  • OEM Injectors
  • AirDog II / Sump kit/ fuel heater kit
  • Driven Diesel RR & fuel bowl delete
  • Banks IC/Intake/Pipes
  • Mishimoto Rad
  • Custom Battery Cables.com
  • FICMrepair.com ultimate w/Atlas40
  • Upfitter switch
  • 5" MBRP Exhaust
  • SCTx4 w/GH tunes
  • Edge CTS3
  • Sinister oil and coolant filter
  • Speed Factory Ti Ex Studs
  • Rudy's exhaust manifolds
  • Bulletproof EGR cooler and Waterpump
  • AFE CAI
  • and a laundry list of all the little stuff you are supposed to do...coolers...pipes...plugs...fittings
  • doing a full fluid flush and refill front to back

Compression Ignition Addict
Nice list

Registered
I did the same thing had the truck a few days then turned it over to have it built. I went KC stg 2 and 190/30 injectors.
You can see all the goodness here

2005 Excursion Build KC stage 2 bunch other goodies

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
I did the same thing had the truck a few days then turned it over to have it built. I went KC stg 2 and 190/30 injectors.
You can see all the goodness here

Very nice. I am thinking now about doing the KC S1. I won鈥檛 be doing larger injectors I don鈥檛 think and I tow quite a bit so kind of leaning that way. Would hate to feel like like a S1 was a waste of my time though. 馃槓馃榿

1 - 20 of 52 Posts