Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just brought home my 2008 F250 and need to make an emergency road trip.

Emergency situation:
Brother climbs cell-phone towers and fell a few days ago. He is stable with some broken bones, but I need to go visit him and most likely bring him home. Round trip will be about 1200 miles. I plan on leaving Monday afternoon.

Truck situation:
Just brought the truck home yesterday. It is a 2008 F250 4x4, auto, 6.4psd. 158k miles. Truck has a fresh oil change, and my pre-purchase inspection was clean, clean autocheck, one owner. It was definitely a work truck and seen mud, as I just spent some time washing the underside of the truck today and a ton of mud and dirt came out/off of things. The truck is completely stock and seems to run good. Tires and brakes are good.

Anything I MUST do before I go? Or anything to watch for since I haven't really had this truck long enough to put it through its paces? I used to have a bulletproofed 6.0, and am quite mechanically inclined, just new to 6.4s.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
The only thing i would recommend is check all fluids just to be sure they are ok and if you have a chance change the fuel filters.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel filters are on the agenda, and I do have AAA premium if I really get in a bind.

Thanks!

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
you'll be fine. I just got back from a 1300 mile round trip with mine last weekend.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you'll be fine. I just got back from a 1300 mile round trip with mine last weekend.
Thanks! I normally wouldnt hesitate at all, but being that I literally brought it home yesterday before i've gotten to dig into maintenance and such myself, kinda had me worried. I did 3600 miles over a few weeks last year, but that was in my BMW.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
I understand, I would probably be a little nervous.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Change those fuel filters and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the truck made it 1400 miles with no issues.

Definitely needs shocks and tires to eliminate some bouncing.

Seem to have a bit of oil level growth, i've got a oil analysis kit that i'll be using to check fuel dilution levels. Average mpg was around 13-14mpg with a good bit of idling.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
994 Posts
best advice you will ever hear owning a 6.4: DELETE YOUR DPF

I came from a bulletproofed 6.0 too--and i don't regret it one single moment; however if you don't rid of your emissions equipment, you will be a very unhappy blue oval PSD owner.

my two cents...

·
Registered
517 Posts
^^ haha that seems to be the only 6.4 advice you will always hear until you have done it, then on to extras :)

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts