Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this truck a few weeks ago and have a few questions to ask. The truck came with a Diablo U7165 programmer but from what I have been reading on here these are no good? Also, I had a question about cold air intakes, I see that everyone seems to like the AFE, S & B etc.. but I was wondering what is wrong with the K & N cold air intakes? Are they bad news? If so, why? I appreciate any help on this!

·
Don't mind me
27,557 Posts
:welcome1: to the ORG!!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the warm welcome!

any insight on my questions?

·
Premium Member
11,115 Posts
I just bought this truck a few weeks ago and have a few questions to ask. The truck came with a Diablo U7165 programmer but from what I have been reading on here these are no good? Also, I had a question about cold air intakes, I see that everyone seems to like the AFE, S & B etc.. but I was wondering what is wrong with the K & N cold air intakes? Are they bad news? If so, why? I appreciate any help on this!
Take the Diablo, return your truck to stock and throw the Diablo away. Using a SCT with custom tunes is a MUCH better way to run your motor. Unless you are putting down 500HP the OEM intake system filters better and will flow all the air you need for the motor.

Questions?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think the diablo has done any damage??

I am kind of concerned now as to if the previous owner used this programmer to the point that it could have done some damage. I sure hope not. Also, I guess I do not need a cold air intake then. But I am still kind of curious as to why nobody likes the K & N cold air intakes versus others. Any answers?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Also, I guess I do not need a cold air intake then. But I am still kind of curious as to why nobody likes the K & N cold air intakes versus others. Any answers?
Get the intake if you want it. Don't be 'scared' of doing any damange. imo. I am curious about why everybody dislikes the k&n versus others as well? I've never understood and and I've heard it since I started visiting powerstroke forums but never have I seen any evidence or specs that they have done any damage.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I really would like to understand it as well

Any of you seasoned powerstroker's out there have any insight as to why k & n cold air intakes are not the way to go?

·
Registered
467 Posts
people dont like k&n because it filters less than the normal filters, and therefore lets more dirt in and can dust the turbos causing damage.

I believe it, its pretty hard to flow more, without letting more in. And the motor is expensive enough,why risk it when your stock intake is more than enough?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Welcome to THE best resource for yer truck.
I was at a friends shop where they were replacing a 7.3 because the filter box had been missing a clamp and allowed dust into the intake. A cylinder had lost compression and r/r of the engine was the result. The turbo vanes were chipped, scarred and knicked. He told me at IDLE the turbo spun at 13000 rpm in a teaspoon of oil. (If you are able to take a look at your turbos vanes, you might get the answer you need on K&N).

I still have the stock unit and do not have personal experience with aftermarket filters... yet. Just a fyi and welcome note. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So..other intakes such as the S & B...

Just filter better than the k & n? Thats just all there is to it huh...Well I appreciate the info, pretty interesting.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I don't understand how k&n could filter that much worse. they have been in the biz for a long time. I've never seen facts, just claims.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you where to not drive off road that much I would recommend a intake if you stayed on highway and city a intake wouldnt hurt. on my dads truck we noticed a bit more power and better MPG.

The best intake mod in my opinion is the intake elbow simple bolt on and you pickup about 9 HP and less back pressure so your turbo doesnt work as hard. As my rule of thumb. add parts that will also let your engine work easier for example on my gas truck I want a electric water pump and electric fans so i can free up HP from the engine and get rid of that extra work it has to do. that is why on any ford truck I recommend new exhaust as I beleive the 6.0 liter ford is the loudest sounding engine out of all the diesels when shes straight piped. that just tells you how restrictive the factory exhaust is.

Not the route I would take. my upgrades would go in this order. 4 inch turbo back exhaust with no kitty and a hi flow muffler. I would go stainless duals. next up would be headstuds and new headgaskets then a 3 guage pillar pod with a pyrometer boost and tranny temp guage. then some SCT tunes. then I would probably start saving for forged internals EGR delete and possibly compounds from elite and some sticks. and then worry about intake.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you where to not drive off road that much I would recommend a intake if you stayed on highway and city a intake wouldnt hurt. on my dads truck we noticed a bit more power and better MPG.

The best intake mod in my opinion is the intake elbow simple bolt on and you pickup about 9 HP and less back pressure so your turbo doesnt work as hard. As my rule of thumb. add parts that will also let your engine work easier for example on my gas truck I want a electric water pump and electric fans so i can free up HP from the engine and get rid of that extra work it has to do. that is why on any ford truck I recommend new exhaust as I beleive the 6.0 liter ford is the loudest sounding engine out of all the diesels when shes straight piped. that just tells you how restrictive the factory exhaust is.

Not the route I would take. my upgrades would go in this order. 4 inch turbo back exhaust with no kitty and a hi flow muffler. I would go stainless duals. next up would be headstuds and new headgaskets then a 3 guage pillar pod with a pyrometer boost and tranny temp guage. then some SCT tunes. then I would probably start saving for forged internals EGR delete and possibly compounds from elite and some sticks. and then worry about intake.
it might sound like you will free up hp by running the pumps off the battery but you still have to power that alternater to produce the amps you need, there might be a small, minute decrease in engine loade but not enough to pay off the upgrade. my .02!

and with the afe what is the pg 7 just more layer?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts