Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Finally picked up a real rig that can tow and I must say I am STOKED!

99 F250 superduty, super cab, long bed 215k on the ticker. I picked it up for 7200 off a used dealer lot, in pretty good shape. No oil leaks, all stock from the looks of it, and it is my second ford truck.

My first was a 99 F250 gasser with the 5.4L triton. It would pull my 18 foot open deck trailer and drag car no problem. As soon as I got the 23 foot enclosed, it struggled to make it up any grades or hills.

I have been doing lots of homework on what I was in for and I ended up picking up the early 99 model. Of course I will be doing light mods to free up the airflow. I am mainly after fuel economy since the 5.4 was KILLING me on gas. 8mpg while towing was turrible...just turrible. I know anything boosted responds to the basic functions of airflow, right away. So the intake was first, exhaust is next.

Now I already did the Tymar intake mod with a 4 inch K&N cone filter I had laying around off my drag car, next up is a 4 inch exhaust out of some mandrel bends and spare mufflers I have laying around. I'll most likely do a cat delete (even though I will keep it handy for our CA smog nazi's), and use band clamps or V bands for easy removal and re-installation.

I also ordered an edge evolution II. I know I know, a DP chip or custom tuned chip would have been the way to go, but I figured the price of some nice gauges and the hassle of installing them, tapping everything and running the wires was just too much of a PITA for me. I would much rather just plug and play. Besides, it will mainly be for monitoring purposes of EOT, EGTs, ECT's and whatever else may be worth logging while towing. Apparently the 99 cant log trans temps. Anyway to log it with an edge besides changing ecu's and adding the sensor? Is the sensor even there on the early 99s?

Ah yes, bigger oil cooler is going on as well. I cannot believe how TINY the oil cooler is on this thing! Really ford? REALLY?? I have seen subway sandwiches bigger than the trans cooler! :dunno:

Already did an oil change, next up is the tcase, front and rear diffs. I havent looked at whether or not friction modifiers are needed for the rear. I'll be searching though. Also running some biodiesel through the fuel system in small doses to clean it out. I have B20 5 mins away @3.99 a gallon. Not bad considering diesel here is 4.29 normally. Another couple hundred miles and the fuel filter will be changed.

One thing I noticed on the truck is a trans issue or, abnormality. I have this nasty little rpm "hang" when it shifts into 2nd. It doesnt drop right down into 3rd. My gasser did this throughout all its life though, so I am kinda :dunno: about it. Run it till it blows I guess..... :doh:

Lots of good info on this site, I really like it.
Just read through all 33 pages of this thread last night. http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ea...nces-between-early99-late99-03-trucks-33.html

:icon_ford:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Excellent.

I have an early 99 with the mods in my sig. Pretty reliable and the EGTs stay night and low. The DP tuner is awesome, switch on the fly baby.

I recently changed my trans and tcase with Amsoil ATF, both seem to like it. Next up is the diffs.

How about some pics?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Hello all!

Finally picked up a real rig that can tow and I must say I am STOKED!

99 F250 superduty, super cab, long bed 215k on the ticker. I picked it up for 7200 off a used dealer lot, in pretty good shape. No oil leaks, all stock from the looks of it, and it is my second ford truck.

My first was a 99 F250 gasser with the 5.4L triton. It would pull my 18 foot open deck trailer and drag car no problem. As soon as I got the 23 foot enclosed, it struggled to make it up any grades or hills.

I have been doing lots of homework on what I was in for and I ended up picking up the early 99 model. Of course I will be doing light mods to free up the airflow. I am mainly after fuel economy since the 5.4 was KILLING me on gas. 8mpg while towing was turrible...just turrible. I know anything boosted responds to the basic functions of airflow, right away. So the intake was first, exhaust is next.

Now I already did the Tymar intake mod with a 4 inch K&N cone filter I had laying around off my drag car, next up is a 4 inch exhaust out of some mandrel bends and spare mufflers I have laying around. I'll most likely do a cat delete (even though I will keep it handy for our CA smog nazi's), and use band clamps or V bands for easy removal and re-installation.

I also ordered an edge evolution II. I know I know, a DP chip or custom tuned chip would have been the way to go, but I figured the price of some nice gauges and the hassle of installing them, tapping everything and running the wires was just too much of a PITA for me. I would much rather just plug and play. Besides, it will mainly be for monitoring purposes of EOT, EGTs, ECT's and whatever else may be worth logging while towing. Apparently the 99 cant log trans temps. Anyway to log it with an edge besides changing ecu's and adding the sensor? Is the sensor even there on the early 99s?

Ah yes, bigger oil cooler is going on as well. I cannot believe how TINY the oil cooler is on this thing! Really ford? REALLY?? I have seen subway sandwiches bigger than the trans cooler! :dunno:

Already did an oil change, next up is the tcase, front and rear diffs. I havent looked at whether or not friction modifiers are needed for the rear. I'll be searching though. Also running some biodiesel through the fuel system in small doses to clean it out. I have B20 5 mins away @3.99 a gallon. Not bad considering diesel here is 4.29 normally. Another couple hundred miles and the fuel filter will be changed.

One thing I noticed on the truck is a trans issue or, abnormality. I have this nasty little rpm "hang" when it shifts into 2nd. It doesnt drop right down into 3rd. My gasser did this throughout all its life though, so I am kinda :dunno: about it. Run it till it blows I guess..... :doh:

Lots of good info on this site, I really like it.
Just read through all 33 pages of this thread last night. http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ea...nces-between-early99-late99-03-trucks-33.html

:icon_ford:
Alright, the edge evolution isnt THAT bad.... i believe it was the juice with attitude that had no trans adjustments and was what gave a bad rep to edge products. The e99's do have the sensors for trans temp iirc (ask Jarrod B) but you'd need a newer pcm(ecu) to read it. I'd drop that k&n cone filter, they have a bad rep for not holding up under the forced induction of a turbo diesel. Just swap it for a napa 6637 filter (BHAF) and you're good for 15-100k (depending on the environment you're in).

What you probably saw and thought was the trans cooler is actually your power steering pump cooler. lol. the trans cooler only sticks out a little bit and is actuallybehind your a/c condenser. its a lighter colored cooler.

You will need a friction modifier for the rear dif, ford is the only one that has it as far as i know though :dunno:

As far as the trans shifting goes, i couldn't tell you. I hardly remember how my e99 shifted, thats why i went to a handshaker :thumb:

In conclusion, Good buy, welcome to PSO, and post up some pics :D :icon_ford:

·
Super Moderator
19,743 Posts
First, :welcome1: - Glad to have you jump in here with us.

Second, sounds like you picked a good truck. As you've seen here, lots of great info. Another great thing is....ask away...somebody will get you an answer.

Third, I see you from the Bay Area in CA. So...just wanted you to know there is a NorCal Chapter here at the .org.
West Coast Strokers - Northern Division - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum - If you'd like, come check it out. We'd be glad to have you there too!

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome folks!

Excellent.

I have an early 99 with the mods in my sig. Pretty reliable and the EGTs stay night and low. The DP tuner is awesome, switch on the fly baby.

I recently changed my trans and tcase with Amsoil ATF, both seem to like it. Next up is the diffs.

How about some pics?
Not sure if you wanted pics of the truck or car, but here are a few of the truck.

Alright, the edge evolution isnt THAT bad.... i believe it was the juice with attitude that had no trans adjustments and was what gave a bad rep to edge products. The e99's do have the sensors for trans temp iirc (ask Jarrod B) but you'd need a newer pcm(ecu) to read it. I'd drop that k&n cone filter, they have a bad rep for not holding up under the forced induction of a turbo diesel. Just swap it for a napa 6637 filter (BHAF) and you're good for 15-100k (depending on the environment you're in).

What you probably saw and thought was the trans cooler is actually your power steering pump cooler. lol. the trans cooler only sticks out a little bit and is actuallybehind your a/c condenser. its a lighter colored cooler.

You will need a friction modifier for the rear dif, ford is the only one that has it as far as i know though :dunno:

As far as the trans shifting goes, i couldn't tell you. I hardly remember how my e99 shifted, thats why i went to a handshaker :thumb:

In conclusion, Good buy, welcome to PSO, and post up some pics :D :icon_ford:
Ah I didnt know these guys had a PS cooler...pretty interesting and relieving at the same time! :)

Also, I never had any issues with the K&N on the drag car making 600awhp. The 40R was flowing around 75lbs/min of air, and caught everything in its path. I do like the idea of more surface area feeding the powerstrokes turbo. I'll pick one up next time I head down to napa, definitely worth a shot.

I think the edge will do nicely for quite a while, especially for what I am using the truck for. The whole car, trailer and equipment most likely weigh in at 7,000 or so.

First, :welcome1: - Glad to have you jump in here with us.

Second, sounds like you picked a good truck. As you've seen here, lots of great info. Another great thing is....ask away...somebody will get you an answer.

Third, I see you from the Bay Area in CA. So...just wanted you to know there is a NorCal Chapter here at the .org.
West Coast Strokers - Northern Division - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum - If you'd like, come check it out. We'd be glad to have you there too!
Thanks for the link, looks like I just missed the sacramento raceway gathering. I would have been very interested on what this thing can pull in the 1/4 mile. It really hauls balls compared to my 5.4L :bump:

This is awesome, I have been in the DSM community (eagle talon, plymouth laser, mitsubishi eclipse breeds) for 10 years, so its been quite some time since I have been a noob. Im usually a go to guy :program:

Here are some pics of the little 4 banger and the new snail going on...on the car :)

And yes, I still cruise it on the streets. Emphasis on cruise since my license would be screwed if I messed around. Tagged, registered and insured.

I got the vid of a 9.7 it pulled, just havent uploaded it yet.

Heres a different pass.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I love DSMs!

Shep trans?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love DSMs!

Shep trans?
Negative, I converted it to automatic in Jan of 2010. I havent looked back since. I used to strip transmission gears like nothing. With the auto, things are so much smoother. Its just a stock rebuilt transmission I put together in my garage with a few tricks from the faster automatic DSM guys. Higher stall converter, full line pressure, oiling tricks and shes good. Next up is shot peening the only gears in the auto. Seems as though I have found a way to shear those teeth off too. I am also in the midst of redoing the cage and a few other little things.

I would definitely like to do some traveling next year. Good thing it already has helper bags in the rear. A cab over camper for the powerstroke would be nice.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Slick rig and car! :thumb:

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Welcome to the ORG!

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
:welcome1: