Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I love my 2006 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, she is used to get me to work every day, and towing on the weekends. I just use her to tow one Jeep on an open deck trailer, and a light weight two horse trailer. The truck is on 37" tires, but tows incredibly.

We do oil changes every 7500 miles, Full Synthetic, (per Ford dealerships recommendations), she is clean and well cared for. Only 56k miles.

The problem:

Coming home from NH this weekend from camping and wheeling the Jeep, we were about 10 miles from home and the fuel gauge, which has been spot on, said I had 45 miles till empty and the need gauge read about an 1/8 of a tank, I know that is low, but it has never been off before, and the fuel filters are changed with every oil change.

Anyway, driving down hill, about 70 mph the truck 'stalled'.... but kept running-ish. I had no pedal, so I pulled into the break down lane, stopped and put it in park, then the truck shut completely off. I thought I ran out of fuel, I know that is a BIG no no, my bad. Yes, I know -- I will never let it get that low again. So I had a friend bring us fuel -- no start. Also tried:

1.) Turn key to 'ON' 30 seconds / 'OFF' 15 seconds, repeated many times = no start

2.) Changed Fuel Filters again = no start

3.) Followed Fuel, TONS of pressure at the front fuel filter, checked the batteries, (just put two new ones in 2 months ago). It is not cold outside, about 50 at night, 75 during the day.

4.) Sprayed some WD40, checked the oil level, it was a little low, added some, still nothing....

I thought I just ran out of fuel and fell victim to the 'lie-o-meter' but now I am thinking something else happened. I have read about FICM's, and other things on the board, have been reading about it all day, but I thought this was a little different b/c it died on the highway.

Any thoughts would be great!

Thank you in advanced :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nothing... no lights, no codes, no knocks/bangs/smoke or anything (I am happy about that). But I am completely lost on this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine quit on Saturday

I have a 2003 6.0 F-350 and in June I put about $4000 worth of work into it. The main thing was all eight injectors. I had 4 failing and reading codes so I just replaced all of them. Now the oil cooler quit. Sounds just like what yours did. If I let mine cool down I could drive it a little more but just about 10-15 miles. I towed it the rest of the way to the shop and thats what they told me. Now I am looking at spending another $3000 that I really can't afford.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a 2003 6.0 F-350 and in June I put about $4000 worth of work into it. The main thing was all eight injectors. I had 4 failing and reading codes so I just replaced all of them. Now the oil cooler quit. Sounds just like what yours did. If I let mine cool down I could drive it a little more but just about 10-15 miles. I towed it the rest of the way to the shop and thats what they told me. Now I am looking at spending another $3000 that I really can't afford.

Good Luck.
No offense intended or anything, but 4 failing injectors at the same time sounds like another problem, not the injectors themselves. Possibly low fuel pressure, HPOP issues, bad fuel lubrication, etc.

The injectors on these trucks are actually quite reliable, as long as you treat them right and keep them happy. If one fails on a random chance, fine, but 4 at once?

Change your oil on time, use a full synthetic for best results, keep condensation out of your oil by making sure to run it up to operating temperature as often as possible, Keep your HPOP working properly, keep your fuel pressure above 45PSI and below 70PSI, add some Rev-X to your oil to clean varnishing, and use a fuel additive to increase the lubrication that the Low Sulphur 2007+ Fuel removes, but our engines were built to run with. It may sound like a lot of maintenance work, but it's definitely cheaper than replacing injectors.

To the OP, I second the recommendation to check the EGR Valve, however, that generally wouldn't keep it from starting, it would just result in it running like crap and having no power. I'd just start at the beginning, and work through the fuel system, check to make sure fuel is making it to the injectors, check fuel pressure, check the injector harness to make sure there's no damage, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you.

I checked the fuel on the filter in the engine compartment, and it is definitely getting fuel to that point, at a high pressure (spent last night cleaning the diesel off the truck that I spilt.)

It seems like it is not getting to the injectors, but I am planning checking to see if the injectors are getting fuel tonight, as well as the EGR.

A few months ago, while towing the Jeep to Maine, the truck did a little 'burp'/'stutter' thing, did it 3 times, right after an oil change. But has not done it since.... would that have something to do with this?

When it comes to maintenance, I do not skimp, I guess I was thinking that if I cared for it, it would love me back. Full Synthetic, bring it in for 'check ups' before long hauls. The only thing that has gone wrong is the oil caps' gasket ripped, lol. I like those kind of fixes...

I hope it starts, or else I have a feeling I am going to be grabbing my ankles when I have it towed to Ford tomorrow....

For reference, does anyone in the Eastern part of MA or RI service the FICM? Unfortunately, if that is the case with my truck, it is probably going to be living at the Ford dealership for a few months, just do not have the finances to cover this right now.

·
Registered
264 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
For reference, does anyone in the Eastern part of MA or RI service the FICM? Unfortunately, if that is the case with my truck, it is probably going to be living at the Ford dealership for a few months, just do not have the finances to cover this right now.
The only places that I would send my FICM off to be repaired are:

Swamps Diesel

and

Ficmrepair.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, So I have my FICM apart right now and the places where it says to solder don't seem to have any cracks, or corrosion, we clean the ground and positive points, should I add Additional solder?

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Did you test it before you took it apart?
Load test the batteries and fully charge them before that?
Adding solder is not recommended unless absolutely necessary. Reflow the solder at the spots shown,since they are the known weak points.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so, that looked good, so we took out the EGR -- it was very dirty, cleaned it and still nothing .... wtf!

Staring to go crazy!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I dunno man, all I can say is to go down that no-start checklist and start crossing things off as you check them. I really feel for you, it sucks not knowing what the heck the problem is!

Best of luck! hope you find it soon!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So just got the call from Ford....

Apparently the STC Valve, that needs to push at oil at 500 PSI, is only pushing at 14 PSI. Causing the No-Start.

Getting porked for just a hair shy of $1000.

What would cause this?

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
The STC fitting is the fitting that connects the High Pressure Oil Pump to the high pressure oil system. The STC stands for "Snap To Connect" and is the same style fitting that you would find on air lines. The internals of this style fitting wear out over time and allow the fitting to basically blow apart. The good news is that the replacement fitting is a straight fitting (the style that should have been used in the first place).

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Those damned SCT fittings again! I've seen these things pop up all over the place lately it seems... Do you guys recommend replacing it - as preventative maintenance? I've still got my truck under warranty, could I swindle the dealership into replacing mine with the new straight fit piece?

And Tonka1042... welcome to the ORG WO-man! ;) Good looking truck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you! Super Diesel .... and nice truck! Lots of good info here....

IMO, if you can get Ford to cover it, do it. My warranty just ran out in June, because of years but I only have 56k on my baby. (Yes, I call my truck my baby, I'm a chick so I can get away with it)

I called Ford and the pretty much told me to pound sand and and it would be out of my pocket, take in cost of towing (AAA does not cover my truck), and I'm well over $1000 out of pocket, which does not include the oil change I have scheduled for next week, another $179. Yup. I would have Ford cover it, every $ counts!

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Thank you! Super Diesel .... and nice truck! Lots of good info here....

IMO, if you can get Ford to cover it, do it. My warranty just ran out in June, because of years but I only have 56k on my baby. (Yes, I call my truck my baby, I'm a chick so I can get away with it)

I called Ford and the pretty much told me to pound sand and and it would be out of my pocket, take in cost of towing (AAA does not cover my truck), and I'm well over $1000 out of pocket, which does not include the oil change I have scheduled for next week, another $179. Yup. I would have Ford cover it, every $ counts!
56k on the clock is awesome! I've got 95k on mine, but the warranty is good til July 2012 or 103,5xx miles. My dealership seems to be pretty cool, maybe I can convince them to do the work for me... we'll see.

Didn't know you were a lady, my apologies... I've corrected the 'man' mistake I made earlier. Still... good looking truck! You seem to know a thing or two about these engines as well! More than me!

If I'm ever in there for anything else, you bet I'll replace mine.
Alright, you guys have convinced me... I'm putting it down on the list of things to get done. Once it's done though, we shouldn't have to worry about this happening again, right?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts