Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Im going to keep this short and sweet. I recently purchased a used 2004 f-350 fx4 crew cab and Ive never owned a diesel nevermind a powerstroke. I do have years of turning wrenchs and experience with turbos on gasoline engines. I just want to know what to look out for and what is must be maintained. I am aware of head studs and egr delete.. my truck had the delete done already. I am also aware of the 2nd fuel filter below the drivers cab. Im concerned about programming but I want better mpgs. is it ok to program with stock head bolts? my truck has 340,000Km. thanks ps is it important to use fuel conditioner if im using premium diesel?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Welcome. Check out the stickies here in the General 6.0L Discussion area. Everything you are asking for is right there.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome aboard!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome aboard!!!!
Thanks alot everyone ive been doing lots of reading and the problem is there is so much contradicting things being said about what to do with the 6.0 powerstroke.

I read some where about number 8 injector being different and causing knock on cold start ups? whats the about because i hear a bit of it. can it damage anything?

any tips for better mpgs I used shell vpower diesel here in alberta and noticed much better range than using petro canada ulsd. Im affraid to put a tuner on my truck because its our only daily driver right now.

Anyone used bd diesel tuners? I can get my hands on one for $50 but everyone says to use SCT. soooo much to learn lol.

·
Registered
570 Posts
For a truck with an EGR delete, you need an SCT with custom tunes, also make sure that the butterfly in the throttle body under the intake elbow is removed. This is part of the EGR system and will close to try to pull exhaust in from the (now deleted) EGR, causing restriction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For a truck with an EGR delete, you need an SCT with custom tunes, also make sure that the butterfly in the throttle body under the intake elbow is removed. This is part of the EGR system and will close to try to pull exhaust in from the (now deleted) EGR, causing restriction.
any pictures or precedures on how and where to remove the butterfly?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts