Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long time listener, first time caller. I purchased a 2014 F250 CC Platinum about a month ago. I have since installed an s&b intake, 5" DP back exhaust, and EZ Lynk tuner with GDP tunes.

I keep getting mixed info from GDP in regards to what kind of boost pressures I should be seeing. I peak at 24-25 psi. I have heard that this is normal and that they keep boost low on 11-14 models because of the different turbos, but they've also told me i should be between 32-37 psi. I'm not trying to blow the truck up, or chase a boost number, but if i'm supposed to be seeing 30s and i'm only in the mid 20's then there is a problem and I'd like to fix it.

Is anyone else running GDP tunes on a similar 11-14 6.7? If so, please let me know what kind of boost pressures you're seeing. And if my numbers are truly low, any insight into the common places to look, or where to start would be greatly appreciated!

·
"RLTW" Tennessee
989 Posts
For a 11-14MY your right in the window for longevity. 15MY and higher the window is in the low 30s.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a 11-14MY your right in the window for longevity. 15MY and higher the window is in the low 30s.
Thank you. When I spoke with GDP yesterday, I was told that I had a definite problem/leak, so I was starting to pull my hair out. I have a friend with a MY11 using a H&S MiniMax and his climbs to 30 easily so that didn't help ease my mind. I'm planning to travel 4-5 hours pulling my boat this weekend and was just wanting to avoid any mishaps. FWIW I made sure to let anyone I spoke with know that I was talking about a MY14.

Are the newer tunes able to make comparable power on 25lbs of boost as what the H&S tunes made on 30?

·
"RLTW" Tennessee
989 Posts
Thank you. When I spoke with GDP yesterday, I was told that I had a definite problem/leak, so I was starting to pull my hair out. I have a friend with a MY11 using a H&S MiniMax and his climbs to 30 easily so that didn't help ease my mind. I'm planning to travel 4-5 hours pulling my boat this weekend and was just wanting to avoid any mishaps. FWIW I made sure to let anyone I spoke with know that I was talking about a MY14.

Are the newer tunes able to make comparable power on 25lbs of boost as what the H&S tunes made on 30?
You still may want to look for leaks, but GDP is really good about not over doing tunes except for their Rampage tune which come with a disclaimer. MY11-14 has known turbo issues that were addressed in 15MY and most tuners understand those limits and calibrate accordingly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You still may want to look for leaks, but GDP is really good about not over doing tunes except for their Rampage tune which come with a disclaimer. MY11-14 has known turbo issues that were addressed in 15MY and most tuners understand those limits and calibrate accordingly.
Thanks again. I'll still go over the truck and check everything. I asked them if switching to the rampage tune would help me diagnose the problem, and they told me the rampage tune doesn't create any more boost than their others. I expected it to.

·
Premium Member
11,646 Posts
I'd stop trying to compare your EZL to an H&S device, not to mention the application of tuning files. Apples and oranges....

If you have a "leak" you should be able to hear it easily. Seems as you didn't touch too much stuff under the hood so double check your work. Soot will be the tattle-tail if it's on the exhaust side of things.

Maybe there is a plug not disconnected? Few early reports had people needing to make sure connectors were removed on some of the under hood stuff.

Is there any EGR plates installed? Full EGR delete done??

If all GDP is saying is "yea...you got a problem"......sounds like it's all on you to figure it out.

The question is: ARE there any other drive-ability issues ?? Smoke filled exhaust?? Lagging off the line?? Transmission not shifting??

If the only "issue" is a Boost PSI number you are going to drive yourself nuts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd stop trying to compare your EZL to an H&S device, not to mention the application of tuning files. Apples and oranges....

If you have a "leak" you should be able to hear it easily. Seems as you didn't touch too much stuff under the hood so double check your work. Soot will be the tattle-tail if it's on the exhaust side of things.

Maybe there is a plug not disconnected? Few early reports had people needing to make sure connectors were removed on some of the under hood stuff.

Is there any EGR plates installed? Full EGR delete done??

If all GDP is saying is "yea...you got a problem"......sounds like it's all on you to figure it out.

The question is: ARE there any other drive-ability issues ?? Smoke filled exhaust?? Lagging off the line?? Transmission not shifting??

If the only "issue" is a Boost PSI number you are going to drive yourself nuts.
Thank you. I did a full get delete so I’ll double check the block off plates and pyro for soot. I had looked before and didn’t notice any.

Drivability seems perfectly fine and the only noise I get is at highway speeds there is a whistle. But it doesn’t seem to have any correlation to boost or rpm so I’m guessing winshield or something.

My only concern aside from numbers not adding up to what tuner said I should see, is that they said tunes 1-3 should have little to no black smoke under WOT. I thought if I was seeing less boost than they’re providing fuel for, it may cause issues. I’m new to diesels but I’d think lower boost would make the truck run rich.

·
"RLTW" Tennessee
989 Posts
If you are fully deleted, regardless of the tune you will have a bit of black smoke as the turbo (Compressed air charge) catches up to the fuel if you stomp on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are fully deleted, regardless of the tune you will have a bit of black smoke as the turbo (Compressed air charge) catches up to the fuel if you stomp on it.
Sounds good. That’s what I had figured. If 25psi sounds normal for an 11-14, then I’m happy. It just threw up a lot of red flags when they said I should be seeing 32-37. Thanks for the insight. FWIW I really like the way it woke the truck up. I ordered 5” exhaust with a muffler but didn’t install it because it shipped separately and I forgot to bring it to the garage. Love the sound and the ez Lynk interface seems pretty nice as well.

On a side note, what kind of EGT should I be looking at with a pyro in the EGR blockoff? I’ve seen different temperature ranges to be between based off where the sensor is located

·
"RLTW" Tennessee
989 Posts
typically at idle ~330-370
Normal driving ~500-700
Under load ~600-900
Under heavy load ~800-1200

Every truck is different hence the wide ranges

1 - 11 of 11 Posts