Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I just bought myself an 05 F250 PSD and it is fantastic so far. When I went to look at the truck, I was concerned because the tires were pretty worn, and I figured that 35" tires on 20" wheels would be a pricey addition to the purchase price. Well, the selling price included another set of 35" tires for the 20" wheels (those tires are Cepeks - I haven't noticed the type, but they look like mud tires, very cool tread) AND the stock 17" wheels with winter tires on them. So, I am set. Except that in the summer, I do some towing and don't really want to mount up the Cepek's and drive a couple of thousand miles with the trailer behind me. I love the look of the 20" wheels with 35" tires in the F250. it has a 2" lift, so there is some extra wheel well room.

My thought is that I should have the Cepek tires mounted on the 20"s for general use and get a good set of highway tires/towing tires mounted on the stock wheels for my long distance driving adventures. With both mounted, I can swap them out in less than 30 minutes if needed.

So, my questions to you good folks is this: What tire should I look for that will handle my towing (bumper-pull trailer, loaded weight about 8500 lbs) and longer - distance driving needs. I want (in this order) safety, comfort, longevity, price reasonableness. I see lots of talk here about Nitto and Toyo - I have no brand loyalty at this point. Here in the NW, I seem to gravitate to Les Schwab (regional tire stores) since a few years ago they really saved my bacon. They always seem to sell some brand no one has heard of, but have never really steered me wrong. They are sure not cheap! I would appreciate some comments on this idea.

The winter tires on the stock wheels will fit another rig (they would look really funny under the lifted F250) so I will have the 17's. Looks like 285/75/17 is the biggest I can go. Will the tall sidewalls on these things flex too much for towing? Should I just nut up and buy some 20's for the road? I really want to keep two sets, but if that is stupid, I'll sell the 17s and load up the 20's with good road rubber.

Pix coming. Sorry for the ramble, I had a late one at work last night! Just got the truck.

Thanks!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, started with the intention of swapping wheels for the winter. It really sucks. You're going to find that you like the look of the larger wheels a lot more, and it'll be painful to look at smaller wheels on your truck.

If you are prepared to take care of your wheels during the winter, then I'd just put the tires you want on the 20's and run them year round.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would go with the toyo open country mt's for 3 reasons, 1 they are quiet, 2 they will last about 40-50,000 miles, and 3 they are E rated tires so you can tow as much as you want.:thumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For better or worse, I put some Les Schwab rubber on the stock 17" alloy wheels. The 20" have a good set of rubber for mud-bogging! I didn't want to run the chrome 20's in the winter anyhow, so knew I'd be buying another set before the snow flies.

I bought the 285/70/17 wheels (8 ply) which don't quite fit the wheelwells as nicely as the 35's on 20's, but sure drive nicely. The comment about not liking the looks is true. It really changes the look of the truck.

They are called Wild Country XTX (Schwab's store brand), and I have 30,000 on a set on my other truck and really like them. They are pretty quiet and actually work well in the snow to the point I skipped mounting my studded snow tires last winter.

Heading out for a long tow next week, so keeping my fingers crossed that they will perform as I expect. I took them on a long drive over the weekend and they sure ride nicely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts