Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Folks.
I have inherited my Pop's 05 f250. last time i saw it was late Dec 2006 at that time it had 5200 miles I have not been around the Truck since then as it is in Portland Oregon and I am Mid Atlantic on the water. for you older hands that have so much individual and combined experience would appreciate suggestions and tips to keep it going. The Truck has 19,000 miles on it now. We will be going out to get it and will be about 4-5k trip back home . It has always been serviced at Astoria Ford and the Tech and service Mgr promises that any TSB's ,recalls and all applicable items have been done.

My list for items to do are as follows Plans are have serviced front to back all fluids changed.Things to do before return trip across country.
1. Inspect and clean Egr Valve.Hoping to find it clean and working correctly.
2. Flush cooling system and add ext Filter system.(recommendations for vendors welcome)
Questions
What are actual benefits of
1 delete egr
2 ? delete egr cooler?
at this mileage hopefully with flushing cooling system and adding filter i can head off clogging of egr and oil coolers. Any and all recommendations Helpful
Thanks Popi!

Reactions: jokester00

·
Registered
338 Posts
main reasons behind the delete is improved fuel mileage and you have to keep in mind setup plays a role tires exe, also be doing so it takes a lot of the added stress and service and breakdowns out of the way. in my eyes they really rushed these systems then worried about fixing they but them out on the market from my experance but that was across the board

·
Registered
348 Posts
The best thing you could do is stop in Mid Missouri and sell that thing to me lol. Deleting the EGR is long been done to extend the life of head gaskets and just general life of the motor. Problem with that is tuning is getting hard to find in the delete areas.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i know that is why i dont want to part with it. kicking around swicting to a different truck but like you said. i came across this one in Id funny part it was not even legal to get it regeistered in the state. i have hade to upgrade build up the transmission which the last owner forgot but i enjoy it

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Yes indeed, thanks Popi! Sounds like you have yourself an almost brand new 2005. Since you're not real familiar with the truck and plan to put lots of miles on during the return trip home, I would install a monitor when you pick it up in Portland. Plenty of EGR info available with a quick search of the forums.

Reactions: midnightrider79

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,293 Posts
IMO the main reason to delete the EGR system is because in late 2004 Ford went with a VERY POOR design for an EGR cooler. It is prone to failure even if the oil cooler doesn't plug up. If you don't delete it, then you should install an EGR cooler from BulletProofDiesel.

Be sure to put an EC-1 rated ELC coolant into the system after flushing it. Best way to get the proper mix is to do 3 final flushes with distilled water, then put 3.5 gallons of concentrated EC-1 ELC coolant in, and then top off with distilled water.

If you are into it for the EGR cooler, then I would also recommend that you change out the HPOP discharge fitting (the STC fitting is prone to failure), and also install the updated dummy plugs and standpipes.

After all that, then the only thing needed would be to install a fuel pressure sensor and gauge, If you keep good fuel in it and keep the fuel pressure above 50 psig at all times, your injectors should last a long time (and they are expensive when you have to replace them).

·
6,293 Posts
I recently saw one for sale that had 48k miles on it - they were asking 20k. Probably not a bad deal!

That said, 19k !!! that is amazing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The best thing you could do is stop in Mid Missouri and sell that thing to me lol. Deleting the EGR is long been done to extend the life of head gaskets and just general life of the motor. Problem with that is tuning is getting hard to find in the delete areas.
i dont really plan on tuning at this point. I can see it now "Me with a box with buttons that makes things happen"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to see what a 19K mile truck looks like....pics?
I will have my Son go over to G-Moms and take some pictures. It's a Supercab dark Green with a really Nice Leer Cap. It's Lariat with the FX4 pkg.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I recently saw one for sale that had 48k miles on it - they were asking 20k. Probably not a bad deal!

That said, 19k !!! that is amazing.
Mark Pop passed away on Christmas Eve 2006 So in 14years its gained 14k

·
Registered
338 Posts
out of all the systems i would much rather deal with that then a def system and if you are not using it hard and heavy and stay on the service it will be fine

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Hey, welcome to the org. Wow, 19k. Hard to imagine. Barley broken in.
Bismic is a local expert on these trucks. I posted a couple of links that he wrote on another forum. They are worth Taking the time to read through.

The first thing that comes to mind for a 15 year old truck, are the tires. Original? Weather checking? Might want to have a good look before hitting the road.

If I could offer my opinion, If it were me, I’d look at keeping it all original, just for the heck of it. Drive it for awhile and see if it needs anything. With that low mileage, the egr is probably still clean. You can brag about having original head bolts!

Either way, enjoy and good luck!

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jeff It has about 26month old Toyo's Open Country 2's with maybe 3k on them. I have learned so much about the 6.0 in the last few days. Once the fix has been applied it seems to be a great platform.(Side Note... I have been an Over the Road Operator for 36yrs and 1.8 million miles. If you cut me(For years i have driven worked on cussed kicked sweet talked every engine made , two stroke Detroit's 8v71s,8v92's the 60series ,i feel is one of the best engine ever made. Mack, Cummins, Cat)My blood was yellow with Cat words floating.
I think that I am lucky that I can start trying to get in front of issues .
Hey Folks PowerStroke Hub Had a link to an additive "Archoil 9100 supposed to be good stuff. anyone have any experiences with this product? Bismic mentioned A Bullet Proof EGR Cooler. Their products are on the Spendy side , I dont mind the cost as long as the Product does the Job, Being Disabled with a fixed pocketbook I need to try to do it only once if possible. Like the Remote oil filter from Sinester i was wondering if there was enough flow with the 3/8s hose.
Thanks for all of the advice will post pics as soon as can get some.

Reactions: Jeff-F350

·
6,293 Posts
I know that some of the BulletProofDiesel products are expensive. They have VERY nice air-to-oil oil cooler, but I just can't afford it. The 2004.5 and up OEM EGR coolers are not worth trusting. If you are going to keep the EGR cooler in place,there really is no other choice than the BPD EGR cooler (IMO anyway).

I think that the Archoil 9100 is probably one of the best stiction additives. Just bear in mind that some stiction conditions just can't be fixed with an additive.

Mark Pop passed away on Christmas Eve 2006 So in 14 years its gained 14k
It is good to have something that will frequently bring your Pop to mind, especially a low mileage 6.0L. I am happy for you.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Jeff It has about 26month old Toyo's Open Country 2's with maybe 3k on them. I have learned so much about the 6.0 in the last few days. Once the fix has been applied it seems to be a great platform.(Side Note... I have been an Over the Road Operator for 36yrs and 1.8 million miles. If you cut me(For years i have driven worked on cussed kicked sweet talked every engine made , two stroke Detroit's 8v71s,8v92's the 60series ,i feel is one of the best engine ever made. Mack, Cummins, Cat)My blood was yellow with Cat words floating.
I think that I am lucky that I can start trying to get in front of issues .
Hey Folks PowerStroke Hub Had a link to an additive "Archoil 9100 supposed to be good stuff. anyone have any experiences with this product? Bismic mentioned A Bullet Proof EGR Cooler. Their products are on the Spendy side , I dont mind the cost as long as the Product does the Job, Being Disabled with a fixed pocketbook I need to try to do it only once if possible. Like the Remote oil filter from Sinester i was wondering if there was enough flow with the 3/8s hose.
Thanks for all of the advice will post pics as soon as can get some.
I’m deaf from years of a 671 in a piece of equipment, 671 behind the cab, running at full throttle for hours and hours on end... That thing still gives me nightmares...!

Reactions: longjohn

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
@longjohn What part of Portland? If I were you, before leaving town, i'd make sure the system voltage, FICM voltage, & charging voltages were all normal. Then, move on to the ECT/EOT deltas. If they are good, check you fuel pressure. If that's good, i'd just do an oil change before ya left & get it home so you can do the rest of the work. You can prep all you want, and still have something happen. I'd also buy AAA before ya leave town too, if you don't have it already. It can pay for itself very quickly, should something arise...

-jokester

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@longjohn What part of Portland? If I were you, before leaving town, i'd make sure the system voltage, FICM voltage, & charging voltages were all normal. Then, move on to the ECT/EOT deltas. If they are good, check you fuel pressure. If that's good, i'd just do an oil change before ya left & get it home so you can do the rest of the work. You can prep all you want, and still have something happen. I'd also buy AAA before ya leave town too, if you don't have it already. It can pay for itself very quickly, should something arise...

-jokester
Jokester it actually Astoria.Plan to service, change all fliuds and filters.also to add cooling system filter and check everything i can before leaving.Unfortunately there i have to let someone else do things i would normally do myself. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: jokester00

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I'm not too far from Astoria. Let me know if I can be of any assistance to ya.

-jokester

Reactions: longjohn
1 - 20 of 25 Posts