Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all! :tex:

Just wanted to stop by and say Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 6.0 based Truck soon, so of course the first thing I did was hit the internet and try to find the best source of information that I could!

Been reading everything I could on here for the past 2 days, lots of great info, thanks for all that! I've even gone as far as to order a Scanguage II to take with me on test drives to check ECT and EOT's thanks to all the information I've learned here,
however, and here's why I specifically posted this in the 6.0 Sub forum, I have not seen any specific 'things to look for when buying a 6.0' thread anywhere, maybe I just missed it.

Other than the Oil Cooler, EGR Cooler issue, what else, specific to these trucks, is something important to check when deciding whether to purchase one or not?

The Trucks I'm looking at are going to probably all be around 100-150k, and I'm not going to hold onto any hope of the people/dealers selling them knowing Anything about maintenance history, so it's all going to be on me to determine at the time of sale. I'm not new to cars and engines and tuning, but I am new to the Diesel side of it. So far, it looks quite exciting.
The purpose of my truck will be occasional towing of probably 5-10k between cities, and also as a run-around-town rig when I need it as such. Will not be a daily driver to/from work, I have a company truck for that :thumb:

Anyways, thanks again for having so much great information in one place!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Dicion! I'm brand new here myself and I too am looking into buying a used 6.0 powerstroke. I have the exact same questions you do, and I've been looking for the same type of "buyers guide" myself.

Hopefully we can solve the problem together, until then good luck!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
check for a nasty degas bottle and odd engine sounds and leaks and look for white smoke at the tail pipe and use your scan guage to check for codes and check the temps as you stated. at that millage i wouldnt spend over 18K max even for a cc kr

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
This link has some basic info.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-tech-files/58006-what-look-when-buying-used-6-0l.html

The next two link will give you a idea what to look for with a OBDII monitor.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-tech-files/173767-things-consider-about-owning-6-0l.html

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/259257-write-up-monitoring-6-0l-psd.html

In addition, in the pic below you can see the difference between the OEM oil filter cap on the left and a WIX/NAPA cap on the right.

The next pic is the difference between OEM head bolts I'm holding when compared to head studs.

And this last pics show a EGR delete. The yellow "x" on the first pic is the EGR delete tubing that does a horseshoe from the oil cooler to the intake manifold. The second pics is a stock EGR cooler, the yellow "x" shows where there is no horseshoe, the tubing just goes from the oil cooler to the EGR cooler.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
8,821 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
just look over EVERYTHING

motor wise, as stated above for the smoke or odd noises, check over the suspension components and such also

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.