Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my names Cody. I have been reading on here all week and decided tonjump on in. I bought a 1996 f250 extended cab 4x4 with a 7.3(duh) this week. It has 218000 on the odometer and is CLEAN inside and in good conditon on the outside. It has been sitting in a barn for 4 years and we put new batteries in it and she fired right up. The prev. Owner believes it needs a few injectors but it seems to run well to me minus a few misses it has every once and awhile. I get my license November 21st and would like to have it in top shape by then. I will post some pics and a video here soon. Until then what are some must have mods and things to replace from your own experience?

Thanks!
Cody

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am no expert, still have a lot to learn and there are a ton of people on here that know way more than me... they'll probably be along soon with better advice. Here is my two cents:

- Find somebody around your town/area that has driven diesels and just ask them to listen to your truck run. You will be surprised what an experienced ear can tell you.

- Get a temp gun, get your truck warmed up, then take temp readings of each cylinder. If one is way lower than others, you may have (injector) issues.

- Do a bunch of searching and reading on here about 'fuel leaks' and learn what the typical sources of leaks (fuel bowl, fuel pump, orings sensors, etc) and you will learn pretty quick about where/how to look.

- have you changed oil and filters and stuff yet?

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Check fluids, change the intake to a tymar or a DIY if its.stock, get a 3" down pipe if it doesn't have one already, straight pipe it. How much do you have to spend is the question

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If the truck has been sitting for 4 years, the first thing I would do is change the oil. Welcome to the site.:icon_ford:

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Hell when I bought mine I changed oil and flushed tranny.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before we bought it we pulled the dip stick and oil looked like new. We were plannong on changing that anyway. The tranny was rebuilt about 10k miles ago. We also replaced the fuel filter. Like i said, it runs well just misses here and there. It is 100% stock. We have 2 other 7.3's and a 6.0 at our house and Dad knows how to do general work on them. He has a decent knowledge on keeping them running well when stock. I was looking for sone more insight on aftermarket parts info. I am thinking 4in straight pipes, some type of chip/tuner, intake of some sort, decent sound system, and maybe a leveling kit. After winter i want to put 33,s and different rims on. I had 6k to spend, paid 2 for the truck and a few hundres for new batteries and fuel filter so far. I would like to save 1k for fuel so i have around 2500-3000 to spend on it. Ill put the pics and video of it on here in a few hours when i get to the computer lab here at school.

Cody

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And like I said I have 2 months more or less before it will be driven much. Due to me not having my license till then. Lol

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Congrats and Welcome to the Org.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome. Ill get some pics up here for you all soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts