Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'll start by saying I've been hanging around this site for a few weeks and I've already learned quite a bit from you guys.

Here's my situation, I just bought my dad's last work truck which is an '04 2wd Lariat crew cab. He replaced it with an '08. He loves the truck but he's really disappointed in the fuel economy at this point. My truck has about 100k miles on it and has never had any problems except the rearend was replaced early on under warranty. I use the truck mostly for a daily driver. The most weight it will probably see is about 5000 pounds when I use it to pull my boat. It gets good mileage at this point. The last time I fueled up I figured it at between 18 and 19 mpg with mostly highway miles but some stop and go city miles mixed in. I plan on making some mods to it but not going crazy. My biggest objective is to see if I can squeeze every last mpg out of it and maybe once in a while have a little fun with some extra power. I just don't want to get crazy with it and end up having reliability issues.

Here are my plans so far. Before I do anything else I plan on adding some gauges. I'm thinking a 3 gauge pod with boost, egt, and maybe trans temp. I'm not sure on the last one. If anyone has better ideas, let me know. From there I'm looking at the SCT Xcal2 and 3 custom tunes. I'm probably looking for an economy tune, towing tune, and a decent street tune. After that everything else is optional but in the future I'll probably look into replacing the intake and exhaust to let it breath better.

I'm looking for advice from you guys. What works and what doesn't work. With the mods I plan who makes the best stuff for the money? Any things that I should be wary of or any other advice those of you who have done this can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Is it even worth it???
9,097 Posts
Welcome to Powerstroke.org
:welcome1::welcome1::welcome1::welcome1::welcome1::welcome1:​

I have a 7.3, so I can't give you much advice about mods. I will say this... if you have an automatic transmission, definately get the trans temp gauge. The factory "gauge" on the dash is nothing more than a fancy "idiot" light. If and when you tow, keeping an eye on trans temps will be very important to extending the life of the trans.

Once again, welcome, and there should be plenty of folks along very soon to give you lots of advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts