Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999.5 Ford F-250 SD 7.3
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I’m really new to diesels and I have my dads old truck. It is a 99 F250 SD with the 7.3, 2wd, and has about 173k on it. It has a Garrett turbo, banks exhaust break, banks ram air intake, it looks like an after market inter cooler as the tanks are aluminum not plastic (read somewhere the stock ones have plastic tanks), gauges for boost, transmission oil temp and EGT temp.

What exhaust temp should I be worried about? I’ve never seen it above 900 so not sure where the danger zone is.

Did these come with a Garrett turbo or is this an aftermarket turbo? Also are they pretty good? I’m getting about 18lbs of boost.

The boots and clamps are original, how long do these last? I’m thinking of putting on Riffraff boots and already have theIt clamps.

Unfortunately my father passed so I don’t have much info on what was done or needs to be done to it. Thank you in advance for any help/insight you can provide.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
These trucks came with a Garrett turbo from factory. 18 psi is about right for a stock truck. You want to stay below 1200-1300 degrees sustained on EGTs

If your boots are in good shape I’d leave them be, but it can’t hurt to replace them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999.5 Ford F-250 SD 7.3
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These trucks came with a Garrett turbo from factory. 18 psi is about right for a stock truck. You want to stay below 1200-1300 degrees sustained on EGTs

If your boots are in good shape I’d leave them be, but it can’t hurt to replace them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the information. The books look okay after I cleaned them but they look a little cracked like worn. I’m doing little things to it here and there but was wondering since it’s a 1999 how long these last.
Also since my truck is a 2wd and towing a 16’ John boat or a trailer here and there is there any advantage to replacing the rear differential cover with a aftermarket cover?

·
Premium Member
2001 F350 7.3L, CrewCab, Long bed, 4x4
20,082 Posts
If you're looking to buy 7.3L parts, check out one of our Supporting Vendors here. @[email protected] - Very knowledgeable and carries quality parts.
He has a boot kit he just started selling. Click here for his website: CNC Fabrication

Reactions: BrianP1999

·
Registered
1999.5 Ford F-250 SD 7.3
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're looking to buy 7.3L parts, check out one of our Supporting Vendors here. @[email protected] - Very knowledgeable and carries quality parts.
He has a boot kit he just started selling. Click here for his website: CNC Fabrication
I saw something he posted about a chip and went to his site. Definitely going to be spending some money there. 😂

·
Premium Member
2001 F350 7.3L, CrewCab, Long bed, 4x4
20,082 Posts
I saw something he posted about a chip and went to his site. Definitely going to be spending some money there. 😂
Yeah....me too. Been there enough to see stuff I "NEED" - Just the need 'banker' to free up some $$. HEHEHEHE

Reactions: BrianP1999

·
Vendor
13,370 Posts
If you need boots, here's a link to ours.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.