Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to diesel, just bought a 01 550 and my problem is that i think the truck is taching to high while on the freeway at cruising speed. 60 mph is about the max i want to go cause at 60 the truck is taching at about 2350. any info would be of great assistance, thanks.

·
OperationSmile.org
2,011 Posts
You probably have 4.10 gears... most likely... but at 75 I am turning 2250. My old work truck was a f350 dump bed dually with 4.56 and I could run 75 all day long. It was turning about 2550 or so if I remember right

·
Registered
601 Posts
sounds about right, if you want your RPMs to be lower you could put 3.73 gears in it or out bigger tires on it. or in my world it is both, 3.73s and 35's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i understand the low gears means its all for heavy load capabilities. a gear change was my first thought but i really dont want to compromise the tow ratings too much. i was reading about the gear vendors under/over drive, any opinions on thier product?

·
Registered
159 Posts
:icon_ford::ORG welcome: I'm stupid when it comes gears, but it sounds like your taching only slightly higher than my Dually.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gear shouldn't compromise tow ratings, and it will only compromise ability under very severe loads. Dropping one or two ranges shouldn't have any serious affects in towing, other than being slower to get up to speed.

But...

If it were me, I would ask someone in the tractor pull industry for their advice.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Gear shouldn't compromise tow ratings, and it will only compromise ability under very severe loads. Dropping one or two ranges shouldn't have any serious affects in towing, other than being slower to get up to speed.

But...

If it were me, I would ask someone in the tractor pull industry for their advice.
Perfectly put:thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts