Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just bought an '02 F-250 Turbo Diesel and I have no experience with diesel engines at all but have skilled family members to help. What are some good performance mods to get me started?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well basics are: Intake, Exhaust, Tuner, & Guages. I'm not an expert but I can tell you that is what i have minus the guages and exhaust---which im about to get. apparently cusom tunes are the way to go. TW or DP or [email protected] are all very good from what i hear. For exhaust, just anything that is at least 4 in. turbo back will do the trick. Personally i like the K&N intake setup i have but there are other good ones out there. Most people on here will tell you to do the Tymar intake (which i also like). there are many good guages out there as well. Isspros are an example. i also have an 02 and currently running intake with banks chip. But am about to sell the chip and get custom tunes from gearhead automotive performance. Also about to purchase the banks monster exhaust which is kind of pricy but it is a stainless steel system. as well as isspro guages w/the pillar setup....pyro,boost, trans temp. hope this helps

·
Registered
133 Posts
Make sure it is Tune + Gauges, sometimes a tune can get you into trouble quick if you cant see what is going on.

And the Intake/Exhuast can be done either one first.

I did the exhaust/tune/gauges/transcooler(6.0 Replacement)/Intake/Turbo Compressor

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Make sure it is Tune + Gauges, sometimes a tune can get you into trouble quick if you cant see what is going on.

And the Intake/Exhuast can be done either one first.

I did the exhaust/tune/gauges/transcooler(6.0 Replacement)/Intake/Turbo Compressor

Not to hijack, But 574hp from a 1.3L engine?? wow :nod:

·
Super Moderator
19,444 Posts
I did the basics like trucktractorman said.

I went with MBRP 4" Turbo back exhaust, a K&N Gen II FIPK, Autometer Z-series gauges (A-Pillar, 3-pod - EGT, Boost Tranny Temp) and I went with a HyperTech Power Programmer III. It works for me.

Synthetic fluids are supposed to lower friction, thereby making the truck move easier.

Go to the top of the page and click on "Forums." Scroll down to our Sponsor section. They can help you with stuff - Just post up something in their section.

·
Registered
17 Posts
coming from the car world i can tell you a good syntetic can help but not that much. they extend the life of the engine more then add power

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check ::-- wUnder Car Parts --:: for your exhaust. I got a Magnaflow 4" stainless turbo back setup for $299 including shipping. Ordered it on a Tuesday and had it that same week on Thursday. I've dealt with them on other stuff and they've always treated me right.

On a side note, that 1.3L RX7 is nothing like a 1.3L Samurai/Sidekick. Those rotary engines will put some massive power down for their size!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Basiclly to make more power you need two things, More Fuel and More Air

The Chip and programmer will get you the more fuel

The Intake and Exhuast will get you more Air

But heat is the byproduct of more power so you have to deal with that also.

For you non rotary guys, this is what a rotary wants......... BOOOST

There is a replacement for displacement it is a big *** turbo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! As soon as I make a couple payments and get plates and insurance I'm probably gonna go exhaust shopping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts