Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is a new motorcraft thermostat a 190* or a 180* because after i did my coolant flush and installed a the new thermostat ECT levels out at 190* as opposed to the pre flush and thermostat it was level at 180*???

·
Registered
637 Posts
The Motorcraft thermostat is stamped 89-104C to indicate that it begins to open at 89C and reaches the fully open position at 104C. These temperatures equate to 192F and 219F, respectively. If your old thermostat held at 180F it had failed in the open position preventing the engine from reaching optimum operational temperatures in a reasonable amount of time. To be clear though, a stuck-open thermostat is ultimately preferrable to a stuck-closed thermostat which might allow an engine to overheat. Notwithstanding, a fully-functional thermostat is just what the doctor ordered and it sounds like you make a proper diagnosis and took appropriate corrective action. Great work!

Congratulations!

Jonathan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is there an International part #?

I know there might not be, but I thought I would ask...International prices are so much better than Ford.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Check out Tousley Ford for your parts, I don't know the International number, but Tousley has it for $20.70.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check out Tousley Ford for your parts, I don't know the International number, but Tousley has it for $20.70.
Yea, I have ordered from Tousley and they are great, but if there is an compatable International part, then it is even less than Tousley.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Does anyone have the International number?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Motorcraft thermostat is stamped 89-104C to indicate that it begins to open at 89C and reaches the fully open position at 104C. These temperatures equate to 192F and 219F, respectively. If your old thermostat held at 180F it had failed in the open position preventing the engine from reaching optimum operational temperatures in a reasonable amount of time. To be clear though, a stuck-open thermostat is ultimately preferrable to a stuck-closed thermostat which might allow an engine to overheat. Notwithstanding, a fully-functional thermostat is just what the doctor ordered and it sounds like you make a proper diagnosis and took appropriate corrective action. Great work!

Congratulations!

Jonathan

k cool because I thought I did something wrong thanks:thumb:

·
Registered
126 Posts
So mine reads 188.6 95% of the time and its about 3 months or so old could it be bad from the factory?

Sent from mobile using autoguide.

·
Registered
637 Posts
ej_krueger,
In order to assess your themostat it is necessary to know how you operate your truck. Many people use their trucks for short trips failing to get the engine into the thermostat's operational temperature range. Extended idling, defined by Ford as more than 10-minutes, or low-speed operation, definded by Ford as 25mph or less, will not allow the engine to move into the operational temperature range of the thermostat. So if either of these conditions matches your driving style then there is no way to know if your thermostat is stuck open or just waiting for an operational temperature to activate its mechanism. Few thermostats are bad from the factory...that doesn't mean that none are bad from the factory but the reliability of a Motorcraft thermostat is high. You indicate "mine reads 188.6 95% of the time" which is a fairly precise reading unless you've converted from degrees C (87C)...it's just interesting that you've got such a precise figure. In any case, in order to properly gauge the thermostat you need to operate the truck for about 20-minutes or more at highway speeds (i.e., placing a substantial load upon the engine - this does not mean "wide-open-throttle" - I am speaking of 2,000+ RPM in overdrive or top gear...the torque powerband). After getting the truck into this condition, read the coolant temperature for a steady-state value. Further acceleration or climbing grades will ordinarily cause the coolant temperature to rise slightly - accompanied by a comparable but slower rise in the oil temperature of course - with a decrease in the coolant temperature back to the steady-state value previously identified upon deceleration or decending grades - and the oil temperature dropping more slowly too. One further point that bears mentioning is that while Motorcraft thermostats are reliable, aftermarket non-OEM thermostats may not have the same operational range nor have the same degree of consistency in production. Many folks have learned the hard way that saving a few pennies on parts often has a dollar consequence on components. There are quality alternatives to OEM but often "you get what you pay for."

Hope this helps.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
ej_krueger,
In order to assess your themostat it is necessary to know how you operate your truck. Many people use their trucks for short trips failing to get the engine into the thermostat's operational temperature range. Extended idling, defined by Ford as more than 10-minutes, or low-speed operation, definded by Ford as 25mph or less, will not allow the engine to move into the operational temperature range of the thermostat. So if either of these conditions matches your driving style then there is no way to know if your thermostat is stuck open or just waiting for an operational temperature to activate its mechanism. Few thermostats are bad from the factory...that doesn't mean that none are bad from the factory but the reliability of a Motorcraft thermostat is high. You indicate "mine reads 188.6 95% of the time" which is a fairly precise reading unless you've converted from degrees C (87C)...it's just interesting that you've got such a precise figure. In any case, in order to properly gauge the thermostat you need to operate the truck for about 20-minutes or more at highway speeds (i.e., placing a substantial load upon the engine - this does not mean "wide-open-throttle" - I am speaking of 2,000+ RPM in overdrive or top gear...the torque powerband). After getting the truck into this condition, read the coolant temperature for a steady-state value. Further acceleration or climbing grades will ordinarily cause the coolant temperature to rise slightly - accompanied by a comparable but slower rise in the oil temperature of course - with a decrease in the coolant temperature back to the steady-state value previously identified upon deceleration or decending grades - and the oil temperature dropping more slowly too. One further point that bears mentioning is that while Motorcraft thermostats are reliable, aftermarket non-OEM thermostats may not have the same operational range nor have the same degree of consistency in production. Many folks have learned the hard way that saving a few pennies on parts often has a dollar consequence on components. There are quality alternatives to OEM but often "you get what you pay for."

Hope this helps.

Jonathan
Do you ever have any short replies or are you an author in disguise?:roll1:

Just messin' with ya.:thumb:

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
My new one sits at 187 at idle...... I need something hotter.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It was that darn Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing program I used when I was a kid!

QWERTY!

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
It was that darn Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing program I used when I was a kid!

QWERTY!

Jonathan
See now, you just aged all of us who know what you are talking about... :doh:

·
Registered
45 Posts
God, I had that on 5-1/4" floppy, for my 386... And I wasn't all that young, either... LOL

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
God, I had that on 5-1/4" floppy, for my 386... And I wasn't all that young, either... LOL
Now, you did it as well.... :poke

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
386? heck that was years down the road. Hell I remember when the 16k memory upgrade to get an Apple II from 48K to 64K was $800. IBM hadn't even invented the PC. :hehe:

Yeah, I've been around for a while.:hehe: :nod:

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
386? heck that was years down the road. Hell I remember when the 16k memory upgrade to get an Apple II from 48K to 64K was $800. IBM hadn't even invented the PC. :hehe:

Yeah, I've been around for a while.:hehe: :nod:
The Apple IIc or Apple IIe??? I can't even believe I just asked that question... :doh:

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
I was rockin the Commodore 64 with the tape drive!! Don't be hatin!!

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
DUDE! You're such a geek! LMAO! :poke

I had a Vic 20 with a tape drive...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts