Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put all new bilstein 5100's on my truck ~16K miles ago when I put the leveling kit on my truck. I've never been happy with these shocks and felt extremely let down because of all the "great reviews" I read on them. I'm looking to replace them, but what are my options for something similar? Icon? Fox? it seems all of the 2.5" lift shocks are around $100-$125. and they seem to be all exactly the same just with another company's sticker slapped on it :dunno:

I think one of my bilsteins is blown out as it is (i'll find out when I unbolt it, but I grabbed the shock body earlier and could damn near rattle the thing around)

what would be my best option in the price range? (I just need to replace my fronts, the rears seem fine still!)

Thanks for any input!
-Matt

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Fox, Pure Performance, Icon, King...all are not the same. price varies and so will reviews but most all seem to like what they bought.
FYI all above will only have 90 day to 1 year warranty.

·
Registered
570 Posts
What length 5100s did you use with the hanger kit? were they valved for a Superduty, or were they universal? did you have extended bumpstops to prevent damaging the shocks by bottoming them out? hanger kits are softer than replacement springs, and the springs (stock) are thinner than aftermarket, allowing more travel and potentially bottoming the shock. My current 04 is very similar to yours, I just went from a minipack lift to a 4.5 hanger kit and am dealing with shock length, bumpstop setup. I also have installed a couple dozen lifts on 99-04s, and managed a 4x4 store that did them everyday back in 04-05. Often a shock that fits one type of lift will not work for another, even of the same lift height on the same truck. The 4" kit pictured in my avatar has a different range of travel than the hanger kit on my current truck, both are 04s with 4.5" actual lift.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies!

The current 5100's on it I purchased from a vendor on here, I don't recall which one. But they were listed for a super duty with 1-3" of lift. I'm assuming they are the correct ones for my truck.

I really don't want to drop the coin on kings or anything like that. (I will when the truck gets a 4 link and more lift!)

What's the price on a set of front icons? And how do they compare to the Fox? (One of my bosses put fox remote res shocks on his super duty and I really like the ride given his is newer and not a lead sprung truck)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts