Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am looking to get new rims, i want the ion alloy style 174 but i don't know what amount of backspacing or offset is needed. i have 315/75/16s on my truck now. i just want the tires to stick out like maybe 2 more inches or so than what they are currently on the stock rims. if anybody could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. i am getting underway in the coast guard soon so i don't have to much time to research this on my own time. thanks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I have managed to find these rims in 16/10s with -38mm of offset, is this to much for my setup, I don't want the rims to stick out ubsurdly or rub for that matter. Any input would be much appreciated

·
Registered
14 Posts
A 315/75/16 = 34.6x12.4/16 right? With a -24 offset would be extremely close to a 4.5 offset for a 10" wide rim. I'm under the impression that would poke out of the fender a good amount. Is this true?

From what I have read a -12 offset works. I've gathered that on a 35x12 tire fits with very little rubber poking out of the fenders, on a 9" wide rim and 4.5" backspace. Placing a 35x12 tire in the an almost exact same location as a 10" wide rim with a 5.0" backspace. Correct?

I'm new to excursions platform, but not new to how wheel sizing works by any means, and only ask as I have been looking for wheels that fit to my liking, being that less than a 1 inch of poke outside the fender well. Am I correct in thinking that a -12 offset will give me this affect with out any rubbing on the leaf spring when turning lock to lock?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A 315/75/16 = 34.6x12.4/16 right? With a -24 offset would be extremely close to a 4.5 offset for a 10" wide rim. I'm under the impression that would poke out of the fender a good amount. Is this true?

From what I have read a -12 offset works. I've gathered that on a 35x12 tire fits with very little rubber poking out of the fenders, on a 9" wide rim and 4.5" backspace. Placing a 35x12 tire in the an almost exact same location as a 10" wide rim with a 5.0" backspace. Correct?

I'm new to excursions platform, but not new to how wheel sizing works by any means, and only ask as I have been looking for wheels that fit to my liking, being that less than a 1 inch of poke outside the fender well. Am I correct in thinking that a -12 offset will give me this affect with out any rubbing on the leaf spring when turning lock to lock?
Thanks in advance.
You're correct on the 4.5" offset and yes they do stick out more than an inch. I have 0 offset Ultra Titan 8's 20 x 10's with Toyo 35x20x12.5's and one side barely rubs lock to lock on the inside edge of the leaf. But they are just proud of the wheel wells when standing and I like that. The leaf spring rubbing is not an issue as it rarely happens, but what is better is not getting the rocker panels sandblasted in the winter up here in the PNW.

I think you would be fine with what you want to do.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Not sure what your locations are, but from what I've read, in most states, including my home of West Virginia, tires that stick out of the wheel well are illegal, and are often justifiable cause to get you pulled over...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input, from what i have gathered is if i can find a 16/10 inch rim with 5.0 backspacing would work well with my setup of a 16/9 with 4.5 of backspace would be pretty much the same.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh and my truck is registered in jersey so i am allowed to have 2 inches of wheel sticking out of the fender.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
oh and my truck is registered in jersey so i am allowed to have 2 inches of wheel sticking out of the fender.
Which covers you while IN jersey... travel to other states, like West Virginia, and you are subject to WV laws... 2" could get you a conversation with one of our fine state troopers, reguardless of where you come from... However, that's a judgement call on your part, how you want your truck, and if that's the look and what's legel in your area, go for it... just helping spread awareness...

By the way, I have an uncle near Princeton... and bought my dually from a used dealer near Philly a few years (2007) back.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I have narrowed it down to two options, now I need some opinions.

Here is the first, Moto Metal Part W/P9516987312 - MO951, 16x9 with 8 on 170 Bolt Pattern - Black

And here is the second, Pro Comp Alloy Wheels Part 1069-6170 - Series 1069 - Polished Alloy Wheel

Which would you choose if you had a truck that looked like mine. Also some time in the futere I may rhino line the gold on my truck in black, but that wouldn't be for a while.

And lastly I am originally from the jersey shore... No it's nothing like the show where I am from.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I like the 1st choice if I had to choose out of the 2. For me they are too common, I see a lot of trucks with them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i went with the moto metals, hope they look good. pictures will surely follow as soon as i get them shipped then mounted. i feel like a kid on christmas eve haha

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Fist pump for the Second link and I live in tn and nobody gives a crap about your tires sticking out 2 inches lol. 2 inches is soooo minor they would pull you over for that??? Remind me to never go to these states.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
First link look good as well but we all have our opinions. I went with 16x10 Mickey Thompson classics. Regret going to small. When these tires wear out I'm going to bump up to 18s or 20s

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the big reason i went with the black ones is because the mickey thomsons are just so popular and everyone has them. 16s are a lil small but i like little rims and big tires, kinda like a monster truck haha. next set i get will prob be 17s or 18s, but that prob wont happen in the time i own this truck, prob keep this set up for a while unless i really dont like these rims.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the new rims on, look badass in my opinion. Here is a nice picture of them, got more in my photo album.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts