Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a 2001 7.3 - recently had the entire motor rebuilt at a shop - It now has 10k miles on it since then - It has significant blow by - piston rings not seated correctly or ?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
I own a 2001 7.3 - recently had the entire motor rebuilt at a shop - It now has 10k miles on it since then - It has significant blow by - piston rings not seated correctly or ?
Thanks in advance.
significant is kind of relative. A normal amount of blow by can appear significant. if you haven't already try this.

With the engine cold start it up and place the oil fil cap upside down on the fil tube. Does the blow by have enough pressure to actually blow/push the cap off or will it sit there and just vibrate off because of the engine?

Also if you are able to upload a youtube video it would help a lot.

Also again sorry haha. any mods to the engine, any parts list for name brand of or parts etc?

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Thanks in advance.
How many times was the oil changed in that 10k miles? and at what intervals?

What is the normal driving habits? - warm up and length of runs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Videos

The one video with less smoke is Cold.
The one with more smoke is Warm.

no engine mods
oil was changed 100-200 miles after rebuild.
Then every 4k-5k miles.

Drivin in town and freeway about 50-50
drive easy when cold - after a few minutes in driveway - live in so. cal.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
"Rebuild" can mean a lot of things -- so was the block bored and new pistons? You definitely have a lot of blow by, but if only new rings were installed that would be the reason -- after all it was "rebuilt" for a reason, likely low compression or oil consumption

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Where was it rebuilt at? Do they have a lot of experience rebuilding 7.3's? Id do a compression check just to get some actual numbers and to see what you are dealing with? Did they do a compression check after rebuild?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts