Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just picked up a new style (08-09) rear differential cover for my 07. First thing I noticed is that the new Ribbed aluminum cover is at least 1/4 inch thicker than the stock tin cover. Will there be enough thread on my stock cover bolts or do I need to source new bolts.

Also, how much gear oil will it take, and is there a special oil everyone likes to use ?

Thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am pretty sure everyone is getting longer bolts... not sure on the grease (oil)

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
7 pints for a SRW including additive for the LS if you have it. Just get a good synthetic and fill till it comes out the fill port. I find it easier to fill from the VSS port but you still need to open the fill port to get to the right level.

Yes you do need longer bolts.

·
Climb to Glory!
137 Posts
The new bolts you need are 1-1/4" x 5/16-18. You should easily be able to find some grade 8 hex bolts or socket caps in that size.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The new bolts you need are 1-1/4" x 5/16-18. You should easily be able to find some grade 8 hex bolts or socket caps in that size.
Correct.

I was able to find a stainless allen headed cap screw and stainless washers at the local real hardware store. They really look great on the new cover.

I used 3 quarts of Mobil 1 and one tube of Trans X friction modifier and it filled it to the fill port.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey guys, I just picked up a new style (08-09) rear differential cover for my 07. First thing I noticed is that the new Ribbed aluminum cover is at least 1/4 inch thicker than the stock tin cover. Will there be enough thread on my stock cover bolts or do I need to source new bolts.

Also, how much gear oil will it take, and is there a special oil everyone likes to use ?

Thanks
Are the newer covers better? If they are where would be a good place to find one?
Thanks,
Bri

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
The newer covers are better in that they don't rust. Just look around for a price, you should be able to pick one up for $50-60. Do get stainless bolts to avoid electrolysis making a mess of things.

·
Climb to Glory!
137 Posts
The newer covers are better in that they don't rust. Just look around for a price, you should be able to pick one up for $50-60. Do get stainless bolts to avoid electrolysis making a mess of things.
This. The new ones are made out of aluminum, as opposed to tin, and they also have ribs/fins to help with cooling. They do not add any extra capacity just cooling ability. I got mine from Tousley for around $55 shipped. Picked up the socket caps and high collar lock washers from Fastenal.

Also grabbed a few Nord-Lock washers to check them out. Anybody ever used these before?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Here's a crappy cell phone picture for those who don't know what the new Ford covers look like.

Speaking from experience in towing heavy with this truck, the cover makes a signifigant difference in temperature.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ive been itching to do this. Its a good upgrade and well worth the time and money for it.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I know this thread is old but I was searching for info and want to know can I use Ford's xl-3 friction modifier with Redline's 75w140 gear oil?

Also just to confirm I need 3 quarts of the gear oil and a 4oz bottle of friction modifier to top it off?

THANKS.

·
Registered
220 Posts
...and a gasket if you're replacing/removing the cover.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I believe you use a rtv silicone to seal the cover. I haven't heard of a gasket being used.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am glad this thread resurfaced. I didn't know about this quick and easy upgrade!

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Here's a crappy cell phone picture for those who don't know what the new Ford covers look like.

Speaking from experience in towing heavy with this truck, the cover makes a signifigant difference in temperature.

How much of a difference in temperature before and after installing the aluminum cover?

·
Registered
312 Posts
What about the front diff. ? Are the 08 ones alum. Up front too?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Anyone have a part number handy?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Anyone have a part number handy?
Parts at Tousley ford has always been good to me in knowing what im talking about if I dont have a part#. Call them up you may not need a part number.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
192 Posts
Good idea, thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts