Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchase a 96 F250 powerstroke. It needs some general restoring in which I just placed a pretty large order at LMC for some much needed parts. Im sure as with all new owners, I have some questions I am hoping you guys can answer. I have done lots of reading and searching but must have missed some of the obvious.

What does OBS stand for?
Will shimming (BB) the FP regulator affect anything with a chip/tune? Can both be ran at the same time or is it counter productive?
How long does it take to have someone upgrade the injectors to stage I? I assume the only way to do it is to send mine in and wait for them? No one does a core swap?
The truck currently has the Edge programmer on it.... Should I remove it? Plan on ordering the 6 pos chip Monday.
Is the easiest way to access the computer on these trucks though the front fender well?
What is te biggest tire I can run with the Rough Country addaleaf leveling kit?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I recently purchase a 96 F250 powerstroke. It needs some general restoring in which I just placed a pretty large order at LMC for some much needed parts. Im sure as with all new owners, I have some questions I am hoping you guys can answer. I have done lots of reading and searching but must have missed some of the obvious.

What does OBS stand for?
Will shimming (BB) the FP regulator affect anything with a chip/tune? Can both be ran at the same time or is it counter productive?
How long does it take to have someone upgrade the injectors to stage I? I assume the only way to do it is to send mine in and wait for them? No one does a core swap?
The truck currently has the Edge programmer on it.... Should I remove it? Plan on ordering the 6 pos chip Monday.
Is the easiest way to access the computer on these trucks though the front fender well?
Thanks for any help.

I can't help you with many of your questions as I have a 6.0 But OBS stands for Old Body Style like your 96 NBS is New Body Style 99 up Super Dutys

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks for any help.
I can give you info on some of these ?'s:

Most injector vendors can send you stage 1's with a core charge and you can send yours in when you get them out. Check out Rose Wood Diesel or Full Force Diesel for some info. many other inj. vendors on here

If you are going with a 6 pos chip get one from a custom tuner - many to choose from (look at vendors again eg:TDP & PHP ect..)

Coming in from under the hood and lowering the fender well will give you the best access to get the PCM out. You can access the PCM from behind the e-brake to remove and install different chips. (After initial cleaning has been done ofcourse:nod:)

I have add-a-leafs and run 315's. This is the biggest tire I can run even though I do not rub right now - there is no more room.

Hope some of this helps - lots of info - good luck :thumb:

by the way :ORG welcome:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
:ditto: And yes your can run the BB mod with a chip. Welcome to the .org :thumb:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for the welcomes and answers!

I was looking this morning at the front suspension and noticed my front leaf springs seem to be worn out. I was planning on only doing the leveling kit (add a leaf) on the front but am not wondering if I should replace the whole thing. Does anyone know of a place that sales the complete front leaf assembly that will level the truck out?

Everything that I have seen is either an add a leaf or complete packages that lift the front 4". Currently my bump stops are maybe 1/2" from touching.

edit:

Would this work?
http://www.ultimateautoaccessories.com/page/UAA/PROD/LFS/28280__1

Put me back to stock height plus 2" in the front?

Also just noticed that the bushings are shot on the front springs.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If I had to do any suspension work and had questions on parts & installation I would try and contact CaryT - he is a vendor on here and can give you great advice for any thing suspension related.

I can tell you that I did add a leafs and hate it (I need a mouth piece to go down the road). The ride is horrible and with the TTB that has no trac bar it will "crab walk" and it is hard to align. Looks great - rides bad.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Don't know where you're located, but AlCan Spring here in COlorado makes leaf springs for any application, any load capacity, any ride height, and does pretty quality work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts