Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased this truck. It’s a 2000 srw ext cab. Manuel 7.3 this is all new to me so please Understand that. Bought the truck not running. Replaced icp sensor and truck started and ran fine. Drove it for about 2 weeeks back and forth for work. No issues. Here’s where I messed up. I ordered a ts6 position chip. Pulled the truck in the garage disconnected the batteries keys out. Removed the pcm cleaned it good just like directions said. Although I re-assembled and tried tried to fire it when realizing I hadn’t plugged the pcm back into the truck harness. So realizing this I disconnected batteries again plugged in pcm and re connected. Crank no start. Batteries and keys back out I pulled chip cleaned terminals again re installed batteries ect. Crank no start. So reversed process removed chip putting it back to stock. Still crank no start. Only part I messed up is trying to start the truck with the pcm unplugged .....Is it burnt up or am I looking at another issue? Thanks I’m advance for the help

·
Premium Member
9,470 Posts
I don't know...

Certainly if the PCM is plugged in (and his is now) and just "dead", it will still crank over on the starter. But if the PCM's plug was off, would it still? I assume so, I don't know what connection there would be that was necessary, but not require a "good" PCM to be there, that would prevent it.

·
Premium Member
9,470 Posts
So sounds like your PCM is probably just fine...

Just as important as the App you download is the Adapter you use to connect with (most don't work right for this engine).

My usual post on the subject ;) ->

If you're gonna keep & maintain the truck yourself I strongly suggest you get access to the special scanner software you need to do it.

To retrieve most of the codes you'll need to help and even do some testing look at the FORscan Lite or TorqueApp (you add an Android device and Blue Tooth Adapter for @ $30) OR the Windoze version with a USB adapter. I like this one for BT Android -> http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/

Just a few years ago you needed to buy a professional scan tool because our trucks need to have a scanner with a Library containing both the Ford Proprietary AND the Diesel Specific codes in it. Add to that, our trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II so the Generic scanners the Auto Parts Stores have are of little use to us. But today there are some very good App based tools, that are close to what the pro tools do, for fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update guys. I noticed the fuel pump was not kicking on when I rolled the key. I ran a jumper wire from the pump to a 12v power source and the pump runs. I got a scan tool on the truck and came up with the following pcm codes.

P1280 : injection control pressure sensor circuit low
P0122 : tp sensor circuit low
P0472 : exhaust pressure sensor low input
P0237 : turbo charger boost sensor A circuit low
P0230 : fuel pump primary circuit malfunction
P0231 : fuel pump secondary circuit low
P0603 : power interruption on KAPWR circuit

the truck does have new batteries and new starter but having tried to start it so many times the batteries are low. Probably why I’m seeing low input on some of these things. But I did have a charger on it while trying to start it previously with no success. The fuel pump codes and pump not running has me questioning is the chip installation. Did it do something to the PCM. Or is it possibly a pump relay that Coincidentally failed at time of chip installation? I did check the inertia safety switch and it’s not tripped. Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Update guys. I noticed the fuel pump was not kicking on when I rolled the key. I ran a jumper wire from the pump to a 12v power source and the pump runs. I got a scan tool on the truck and came up with the following pcm codes.

P1280 : injection control pressure sensor circuit low
P0122 : tp sensor circuit low
P0472 : exhaust pressure sensor low input
P0237 : turbo charger boost sensor A circuit low
P0230 : fuel pump primary circuit malfunction
P0231 : fuel pump secondary circuit low
P0603 : power interruption on KAPWR circuit

the truck does have new batteries and new starter but having tried to start it so many times the batteries are low. Probably why I’m seeing low input on some of these things. But I did have a charger on it while trying to start it previously with no success. The fuel pump codes and pump not running has me questioning is the chip installation. Did it do something to the PCM. Or is it possibly a pump relay that Coincidentally failed at time of chip installation? I did check the inertia safety switch and it’s not tripped. Thanks again for the help
You should also post while cranking your rpm icp hpop and IPR.

This is above my head but these values are important to starting.

If there is anything about fuel post that too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,470 Posts
So first, take the pass side kick panel (rt side sq plastic cover where a passengers rt foot would be) and look at the "Inertia Sw" to see if it's passing 12v (sounds like it might be tripped). This could get your fuel pump running again (be aware that the pump is supposed to stop running within 15secs if the key is On and the engine is Not).

Next, the only code I would be concerned with right now is the 1280. You replaced the ICP already, maybe that was it.

BUT, the thing to do now is to Erase All Codes and see what comes back right away (you may be looking at a History that's no longer relevant to your no start).

Now to start to diagnose...

To know what the PCM is seeing from some important sensors, and if any of them are the reason it doesn't start, you want to monitor these 4 things while cranking;

ICP pressure (in psi plz)
IPR%
Cranking RPM
System Voltage

Let us know what they are, one of them may not be meeting the PCMs starting requirements.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I further inspected the inertia switch, relay, and pump. The pump is running when I roll the key now. I cleared codes and same codes come right back after attempted start. Although when I try to start it after pushing the start button on forscan, it pops up with a message that says unable to run data stream. Please make sure the ignition key is on and try again.
Icp psi -0
Engine rpm -0
Ipr % -14.84
Vpwr V -11.69
But I feel like it never actually read anything because of the pop up message when I attempted to crank.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I further inspected the inertia switch, relay, and pump. The pump is running when I roll the key now. I cleared codes and same codes come right back after attempted start. Although when I try to start it after pushing the start button on forscan, it pops up with a message that says unable to run data stream. Please make sure the ignition key is on and try again.
Icp psi -0
Engine rpm -0
Ipr % -14.84
Vpwr V -11.69
But I feel like it never actually read anything because of the pop up message when I attempted to crank.
It's finicky. Key off shuts off the bluetooth adapter. Have to be in wts position, get forscan connected then crank and probably let it crank for awhile to register. Maybe run koeo test to make sure you have communication?

Just an educated guess.

·
Premium Member
9,470 Posts
Fernie915 -> no help here I'm afraid, repost here -> 6.7 Motor Problems (2011-2016)

Icp psi -0
Engine rpm -0
Ipr % -14.84
Vpwr V -11.69
You're really need results you can depend on, "0" ICP & RPM probably is not accurate.

If you can't find a way to get ForScan to do it for you, I kinda prefer TorquApp (yea, I know another $5 ;) ) for monitoring. ForScan is more in-depth for diagnoses but Torque is "friendlier" (once properly configured) for setting dial gauges to monitor those 4 starting parameters.

ForScan should work though...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not sure why this guys posting needing help on a 2011 on my thread in the 99-03 but we’re all here to help each other I guess. I got my trucks voltage up and replaced the cps still crank no start.
Icp is 0
Rpm is 0
Ipr is 14.84
Voltage 14.38 unless it’s the pcm and installing the ts6 jacked it up I’m confused

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
not sure why this guys posting needing help on a 2011 on my thread in the 99-03 but we’re all here to help each other I guess. I got my trucks voltage up and replaced the cps still crank no start.
Icp is 0
Rpm is 0
Ipr is 14.84
Voltage 14.38 unless it’s the pcm and installing the ts6 jacked it up I’m confused
Obviously it won't start with rpm and icp of zero. Pcm won't let it start. I don't know if it's just forscan not reading of if pcm doesn't see rpm. No rpm is cps. You do see rpm on the dummy gauge?

Wish I could help more. I know how frustrating it is

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Replaced the PCM truck fired right up! I let it warm up and took it for a drive. First thing I notice is how sluggish and slow it is. It runs fine just a stock PCM. So assuming what happened is the truck had a plug in programmer on the stock pcm from previous owner and when I plugged in the TS6 that I purchased it messed up the pcm. I’m going to send it back to TS before I go plugging it into this pcm. Appreciate the help on here though thank you!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Replaced the PCM truck fired right up! I let it warm up and took it for a drive. First thing I notice is how sluggish and slow it is. It runs fine just a stock PCM. So assuming what happened is the truck had a plug in programmer on the stock pcm from previous owner and when I plugged in the TS6 that I purchased it messed up the pcm. I’m going to send it back to TS before I go plugging it into this pcm. Appreciate the help on here though thank you!
Thanks for the update!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.