Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just spent 5000 on new oil cooler and headgaskets in south florida. saw oil dripping, was coming through the radiator resevoir. had them go ahead and replace head gaskets too. all stock truck. 2006 f350 King Ranch 4x4 dually. ran good coming home to alabama from south florida for the first 350 miles. started struggling climbing hills and felt like starving for fuel. problem didnt exhist prior to tear down last week. no codes flashing. un hooked trailer, still there. feels like it shifts funny too. any ideas? called ford dealer that did the repair and notified them during the trip also. please help. runnin out of money!

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Do you have a monitor? You need to monitor the engine vitals to find out where the problem is stemming from. Otherwise you will just throw money at a problem hoping to solve it.

Can't really make a diagnosis but what I can tell you to do is to get a monitor on that truck asap. For monitoring solutions read the stickies in the 6.0 general information section.

I would start by checking your FICM voltage and having your batteries load tested INDIVIDUALLY and have your charging system tested. If that all checks out then you need to check for soft codes, if you know anyone with AutoEnginuity with the ford expansion pack or take it to the dealer and see if your getting injector codes.

Then with you monitor you need to check the HPO system vitals, such as ICP pressure actual vs desired, IPR % actual vs desired. And watch the FICM voltage with KOEO, KOEC, KOER and make sure that through all of those sequences that it never drops below 46 volts.

You also need to check to make sure that your only running OEM oil and fuel filters. As well as get a fuel pressure sending unit installed with a fuel pressure gauge.

EVERY 6.0 liter Powerstroke Diesel NEEDS A MONITOR!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok. I appreciate the help. Quick question about the monitor. My buddy gave me a banks six gun system for this truck. his pda went bad and he took the system out and sold the truck. he told me to update it to the banks IQ. Is this monitor able to tell me the information i need? ?been a while since i fooled around with the 6.0's. Im spoiled by the durabilty of my other 7.3. I know what your talking about, i'm just trying to keep a budget. Thanks for the help. Nice truck by the way.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
To be honest I wouldn't install anything banks on my truck except for maybe their intercooler. Do you have an iPod Touch, iPad, or iPhone? If so goto dashboss.com and get their basic starter kit for $169.95 enter (welikeyou) in the coupon box for free shipping and that will get you the basic kit and will monitor everything the edge cs/cts will without expansions. (basically your getting the same monitor for $200-$300 cheaper. And you can expand it to monitor fuel pressure and egt's or anything else you want for only $130 where as with edge you have to buy their EAS and thats like $100-$130 then you have to get their fuel pressure sender which is like $100-$130 and the egt probe and expansion for that which is $100-$130 on top of the $300-$400 monitor you already bought. Point is you can have a complete monitoring solution for your truck for under $300 with the dashboss.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah!!! thats what im talking about. I just tow with the truck. mostly my drag car. but im not trying to yank the wheels up with the truck. I love the truck. smooth ride, quiet. and got a great deal on it. dont mind updating what needs updating, but like you said, i dont want to keep throwing money at it neither.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Carrollton. It's about 40 mins south of Canton.

Regardless what you decide to ever do to your truck you ABSOLUTELY NEED TO GET A MONITOR on it. It's not an option with a 6.0 it's mandatory.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im going to do the dash boss. i agree. i dont want to run nothing i dont have to. on your first post, the problems to look for, I'm a mechanic by trade(custom automotive actually) are these practical fixes if thats the case or dealer ship. the beauty is, if it is dealer ship,
I'll know the problem prior to taking the truck in so i cant get fooled. I was born in hinckley ohio. Home of the buzzard

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also, couple more questions, whats the deal with egr delete kits? whats the advantage? and also, couple months back i read a tech article in diesel power magazine i think about updating the FICM on the 6.0 from factory due to un noticeable loss of voltage to the injector system over time. is this true?

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Well yes and no to your answer on the fixes. If you have a failing FICM it needs replaced immediately or sent out to be repaired. New is around $500 I believe and to have it repaired is around $75-$150 IIRC. But to have it repaired takes time so your truck would be down while your waiting on them to receive and fix your FICM and ship it back to you.

If your FICM is failing you need to start looking for reasons why it is. One take the batteries to Vatozone and have them load test them individually and then put them back into the truck and have them check your charging system. If all that checks out but your FICM still failed just chalk that one up to poor engineering lol.

For the FICM check you need to have someone help you or get your monitor hooked up as it will monitor the voltage to your FICM with the Key On Engine Off, KOEC (cranking), and KOER.

Your monitor will also be able to display your IPR% and your ICP actual and desired. Those numbers will tell you if you have a pending repair in your High Pressure Oil system.

If that's the case it's not too difficult to repair but it is going to cost money and take time. That repair process is one of the biggest PITA because you have to keep reassembling the engine to test to see if it's still leaking.

If you do have a HPO leak you need to do a leak test of the system by applying 12v to the IPR to close it then use a fitting in the hole where your ICP goes to pressurize the system with compressed air and listen for gargling inside the engine. Wherever you hear it is where you need to start tearing down.

Good luck I hope it's something simple like a bad battery or failing FICM instead of bad injectors and HPO leaks..

Keep me posted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the injectors were all replaced when i bought the truck 4 years ago, they said one failed, i asked if there was a fix, they changed all injectors. The truck sat since I parked it friday night and put up this first post. hooked the trailor up today(44 foot feather light car hauler loaded with furniture because i love my parents) and it seemd to run ok, but took it real easy. watched boost the gauge and saw no over boosting, but held 20 psi( i never trust the accuracy of stock gauges, I run a 1800 hp turbo mustang, gauges are everything). To me, it doesnt feel like a mechanical problem. when the oil coolers went, the truck was in the driveway, not under load. I noticed this little leak. the truck ran amazing all the way. the truck wasnt started again after i seen the leak. I wasnt at home near my shop, so i had no choice but to get it towed to a ford dealer who i have delt with in the past. everything you are telling me makes sense. I just wonder if they did not due enough diagnostic analyzing after reassembly. I dont know how much can or would change upon reassembly. I've torn down 7.3's, but there is a lot more to the 6.0. the probelm seens intermitten, but I want it solved. intermitten diesel problems are problems.i also noticed today the turbo has more of a howl it seems like.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i can tell you know your stuff and you have have no reason to bs by your response town and your will to spread your knowledge. which i really appreciate. I avoid dealerships as much as possible and would rather due the research prior to having to take it to a dealer ship.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Dealerships aren't all bad lol their prices are though. LOL but sometimes it just takes finding the right one to work with you to figure out your problems.

Before I bought my truck I spent a year lurking on all these forums just reading and absorbing as much information as I could because I knew when I bought this truck if it needed repairs it was not going to be cheap.

After I bought it I took it to one of the local dealerships because it was shuddering when cold around 55 mph. They told me my head gaskets were blown and that I needed 8 new injectors along with oil cooler and egr cooler (which was deleted by the way). I then called my cousin who runs one of the other local ford dealership parts counters and asked him to let me talk to the senior diesel tech, Doug who has been a HUGE asset in me learning and gaining more of an understanding of my truck.

I had him come over to my house and look at it because the other ford dealer quoted me $6700 to do the above repairs and that was before I added anything else I wanted done such as ARP stud's. Then they told me it would be cheaper in the long run and better for me to buy a LONG BLOCK for $7300 plus installation. I wanted to shoot the place up lol.

So any way I had Doug come over and look at it and drive it. He brought his cooling system pressure tester and checked for blown head gaskets. Guess what? They were fine. He also brought the service dept. IDS over and checked my injectors. Guess what? Good too. When he opened the coolant cap the whole inside was BLACK. Yep you guessed it cracked and leaking oil cooler. So that was one thing they got right.

He told me to get my parts through my cousin and to not be scared lol that I could do this job myself in my driveway no problems. So I said OK well if he thinks I can then it must not be that hard. So I did it and I'm glad I did. No problems with it since until recently when I blew my head gaskets. BUT I knew how to check it myself and I will be repairing it myself as soon as I get the rest of the money and parts together to do so.

Moral of the story is that not all dealerships are incompetent or out to screw you just some lol and if it wasn't for Doug I probably would have sold my truck a long time ago and got something different.

Edit: The shudder is from stiction lol. I am getting my injectors rebuilt when I do the head gaskets that way the whole top end will be fresh.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im going to order the dashboss here in a few minutes. what else should i order with it? i see the have the EGT probe. yes or no?
and also, what air intake and exhaust do you suggest for my needs. like i said, looking for towing ability and fuel mileage. not running it on a dyno

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have seen slot of new techs at dealerships damage ipr screens, this is from not cleaning around the oil cooler properly. Any debris gets into the ipr and it starts to idle funny, shift crazy, buck when driving and at worst.. Shut off and no restart. The dealer needs to get the truck and fix that issue. No need to come out of pocket. Just my .02 bud. Good luck

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
If you plan on monitoring both banks then spend the extra money now and get the dual band egt amplifier for $80 I think instead of the single. Also make sure you order the adapter plug for it too or you can't hook up your egt probe. It's only $1.50 extra.

Edit: Lol how's that for price difference?? Edge charges $100 for their EAS which allows you to buy the egt probe and fuel pressure senders and dashboss it only costs $1.50 to expand it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Chopperchip where in South Florida are you located?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts