Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time caller long time listener. I have an 2006 with around 85,000 on it. Just had the oil cooler replaced and a bulletproof egr cooler put in. ALong with ARP stud and a couple other odds and end. I want to keep this truck for A LONG time.
I don't know what my delta was before the swap(swapped it while doing some other warranty work) but now have an edge cts and notice the delta is 6-7 degrees around town and 10-13 degrees on the freeway at 65mph. I also had the coolant flushed and have ELC, Thoughts. I was hoping for a lower delta. The oil temp (196ish) is higher than the coolant temp (185ish)

No I didn't have the thermostat changed while doing the oil cooler and flush.

Great site, lots of good info.
Thanks,
BOb

·
Registered
968 Posts
Did you do your flush before or after the new cooler was installed? There have been some reports of flushes being done after a new cooler installed and the cooler clogging up. The scale and crud that is liberated from the walls of your block and heads gets stuck in the very fine passages of the oil cooler.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
When I had my EGR and oil coolers replaced last year at the dealership, my deltas between ECT and EOT were around 12 when running at 65 on the highway. Dropping down to 60 MPH, I get into the single digit deltas with no problem. The extra 5 MPH is about 200 more RPM on my truck and a lot more throttle (the sweet spot is around 60). Shoot...when hauling 16k#s I see less than 15 degree delta most of the time.

Personnally, I think you're fine especially if if drops to single digits at around 60 MPH.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,081 Posts
The Ford TSB says to look at the delta w/ a careful acceleration to WOT (not a steady 65 mph). If you are below 15 degrees with that operational mode, then you are fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bismic,
If the oil cooler is getting clogged should the coolant temp be getting higher? when you say careful accell is that like slowly accel up an on rampto WOT? what are others seeing when cruising on the freeway?
Thanks guys

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,081 Posts
The oil cooler clogs on the coolant side, then the coolant does not flow well through the oil cooler, then the oil gets hot (and coolant flow is restricted to the EGR cooler and it fails).

Ford doesn't really explain the process. I would do it steadily w/ a hard acceleration (but avoid just MASHING the pedal).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts