Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't stand the sound of the straight piped 6.4L
I've got the dual tail pipes, so that annoying wheezing was right out of my window.
On eBay, I found a T-304 stainless flow thru MBRP muffler with the build in "Y" pipe to fit into my tail pipes.

I cut it in this afternoon and fired it up.
Man, it's a whole lot better than what I was expecting.
The wheezing is gone, and so is the drone.
It's not much louder than stock, but the tone is incredibly lowwww.
After all of that, the distinct turbo whistle from the pipe is now coming through perfectly.
I'm as happy as a pig in $hit..

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Got any vids so we can here it?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Man o man.. im with ya on the horrible 'wheezing' sound GeorgeC.. I can't stand it anymore. Post some vids please.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I knew how..
I'll check with my kids and try to get some later today.
I'm telling you, the wheezing is 100% gone.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yea, I think straight piped the turbo sounds are drowned out in the rush of air sound. It honestly sounds like someone is just dumping an air tank thru a blow gun.. I cant hear any whistle from the exhaust at all, just a rush of air.. sounds like $hit. I'm wondering if stacks stop the whooooshing since there is less restriction due to the larger size and twice the area due to 2 stacks.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the wheezing sound is produced by the VG vanes in the turbo.
My 6.0 did it and you could hear the vanes open and close when it was cold, but it never produced that nasty sound while you drove it.
The 6.4l is worse when it's cold, but it's never good and it's very embarrassing IMHO.

I was thinking that selling the DPF delete pipe Supercharged in favor of deleting the DPF/DOC from Sean was a huge mistake because the sound was so bad. I knew the DOC would have killed the wheezing before it got to the pipe.

I was ready to call Supercharged to order another and eBay Seans pipe if this didn't work.
Thank God it did. The sound is perfect now.

Just get on eBay and grab an MBRP 4" muffler and cut it in.. They are an open, straight-through muffler with no backpressure, but it sure does do the job..

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ok, good info so far. I'd like to find someone in the Central Ohio area that has a dpf/doc delete AND stacks so I can hear them. I am wanting to do stacks at some point anyhow and didn't want to buy a muffler IF stacks solve the whoooooooshing sound.

I think the sound is from the overly agressive EGR system on these new 6.4s.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I believe the wheezing sound is produced by the VG vanes in the turbo.
My 6.0 did it and you could hear the vanes open and close when it was cold, but it never produced that nasty sound while you drove it.
The 6.4l is worse when it's cold, but it's never good and it's very embarrassing IMHO.

I was thinking that selling the DPF delete pipe Supercharged in favor of deleting the DPF/DOC from Sean was a huge mistake because the sound was so bad. I knew the DOC would have killed the wheezing before it got to the pipe.

I was ready to call Supercharged to order another and eBay Seans pipe if this didn't work.
Thank God it did. The sound is perfect now.

Just get on eBay and grab an MBRP 4" muffler and cut it in.. They are an open, straight-through muffler with no backpressure, but it sure does do the job..

The sound is bad with just the DPF delete as well...believe me, I have had my truck both ways.

I would love to hear yours with the muffler on there....I am thinking of adding one onto mine.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'll try to get some sound for you guys later tonight or maybe tomorrow, but I have to leave it up to the experts.
Currently, they're in school....:bluewink:

Sound clip aside, take my word on this. The sound is slightly louder than stock until you get on it, Then there's plenty of that great DEEP V-8 sound.
No wheezing at all...
Just spend the 100 bucks, you won't be sorry.
Just get on the MBRP website to get the dimensions of the muffler you want and be sure you have enough pipe to cut out to install it..
They're all over eBay..

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Yea, I think straight piped the turbo sounds are drowned out in the rush of air sound. It honestly sounds like someone is just dumping an air tank thru a blow gun.. I cant hear any whistle from the exhaust at all, just a rush of air.. sounds like $hit. I'm wondering if stacks stop the whooooshing since there is less restriction due to the larger size and twice the area due to 2 stacks.
I guess someone is going to have to explain this wheezing sound.....because all I hear are the turbos at idle and cruising and then the motor at WOT......as far as the question about stacks......whatever noise your hearing, stacks make it louder :nod:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Here, play this and listen to the whooooooshing sound when I hold it up around 2500 or so. Im not talking about hearing the turbo back down after I let it idle again, Im talking about the rushhhhhhhhhhhhhing of air, sounds like a jet from behind almost as its holding 2500 rpm. You can even hear the rushhhhhhhhhhhh sound at idle.

This is straight piped, no dpf no doc with the SCT Livewire 9623 extreme:

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Here, play this and listen to the whooooooshing sound when I hold it up around 2500 or so. Im not talking about hearing the turbo back down after I let it idle again, Im talking about the rushhhhhhhhhhhhhing of air, sounds like a jet from behind almost as its holding 2500 rpm. You can even hear the rushhhhhhhhhhhh sound at idle.

This is straight piped, no dpf no doc with the SCT Livewire 9623 extreme:

Ahhh I see what you guys are talking about.......there isn't a whole lot your going to do about that, those are the vanes in the turbo opening and closing.....it usually happens at idle after a couple minutes? I suppose a muffler is a way to fix it, but IMO I rather live it and have the sound, but again thats just my :twocents:............also I've never heard it while driving, the only things I've heard is the famous "turbo fart" and the turbos coming down after you let off the go pedal.....like this
[URL="[/URL]

·
Registered
573 Posts
Well damn, I was hoping that was just part of the EGR making the rushhhhhhhh sound. Its annoying to me. I will admit its NOT as bad hearing it thru your dual stacks. I guess maybe I'll just have to dual stack mine :)

Yea, the infamous turbo fart is just the vanes bouncing open and closed as do the standard wastegates on the older models. Do a nice healthy burnout at 3500 rpm and let out of it quick and you'll get the 'bounce' or fart sound, or just hold it at 1500 rpm in park and shut the key off, same thing.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Julian, it's not just "bad" sounding, it's fvckin' horrible sounding and embarrassing.
It sounds like someone has plugged up the exhaust system with a potato.
It is definitely the VG vanes doing their thing, and basically that's diverting the velocity of the exhaust into the vanes so it hits the impeller at a higher rate of speed.. It's bad.
The straight through muffler totally ends the pain...

Your truck sounds that way because the wheezing sound is going straight up into the air, and not reflecting off of curbs, cars and houses.
Plus, the 5" pipe deepens the sound even more.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Julian, it's not just "bad" sounding, it's fvckin' horrible sounding and embarrassing.
It sounds like someone has plugged up the exhaust system with a potato.
It is definitely the VG vanes doing their thing, and basically that's diverting the velocity of the exhaust into the vanes so it hits the impeller at a higher rate of speed.. It's bad.
The straight through muffler totally ends the pain...

Your truck sounds that way because the wheezing sound is going straight up into the air, and not reflecting off of curbs, cars and houses.
Plus, the 5" pipe deepens the sound even more.
I gotcha......I guess I'll have to listen for it, glad you got your truck to where you like, I'm interested in hearing what it sounds like with the DPF/DOC delete and a muffler :nod:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good find on the muffler George, I ordered one today and it is already on its way. I will just put it beside my delete pipe in the garage until i get my Spartan tuner. It just sucks to buy all these items for the truck and not even be able to use them yet! I have not heard a 6.4 straight piped in person yet so i just want to have everything i need in case it is to loud without a muffler. This is the same muffler i ran on my 6.0 with the duals and i loved the sound it produced. Hopefully Spartans product will arrive SOON so i can utilize all these parts!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't think it was such a bad idea after all to leave the cat in there.

SC

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you want to here a bad exhaust just listen to a stock truck, I knew I should't have listened to your videos now I gotta spend money on a programer and delete pipe, thanks.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Well, honestly I guess I can live with the russssshing sound because when you mash the pedal and let it run wide open while accelerating the sounds it makes are just.. well, just pure sex for the ears.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts